Exhaust cutout, perhaps?

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #197
20scout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Hi all! I'm new to this site but was directed to it by one of my friends about this thread. Fantastic story but only one of many that I know of. Still I get excited at every one I come across. Being that I only ride old Indians, I can appreciate what he was going through. Rode modern bikes for years but got rid of them after I got hooked on "rust". I have a 1917 and can tell you that he had one heck of an adventure. Like most of you know, no or few road signs, few places to eat or sleep, poor roads (if you could call them that) and few places to get parts. On the other hand, most country people wher happy to lend a hand if you needed it, weather you needed a meal or a place to sleep. The 1916 Indian Powerplus was the top of the line motorcycle of the time and I know of several people who have gone cross country on them recently.

The Antique Motorcycle Club of America does several road runs per year all accross the country. To re-create this run would be a major undertaking, more so with that vintage of a bike. First, you would have to find a bike. They are out there but not cheap! Then you would have to learn how to ride it (ya, right you say...been riding for years!!). Well Indian has LEFT hand throttle, RIGHT had spark advance, RIGHT hand shift, LEFT hand foot clutch and RIGHT foot rear brake. Oh, did I forget to mention that there is NO front brake??? BIG differance from modern sport bikes. Of course riding is only half of it. Next you have to learn how to fix this old girl. The old saying is "work on it all week long for a 15 minute ride on the weekend" is SO true when dealing with old bikes. If it was a fresh restoration, perhaps not so much as the parts are new and not so tired. The list could go on but I think the ride would be better with more modern bikes at a slower pace as earlier suggested.

Next time you get a chance to view an antique bike, remember that this could be the grandfather to what you are riding today.

Great story!! Please keep up the good work!!!!
20scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #198
20scout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67

Yes, they had cutouts because some towns had ordinaces against loud motorised vehicals.
20scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #199
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20scout
Yes, they had cutouts because some towns had ordinaces against loud motorised vehicals.
Cool. Thanks.

I'd be happy to participate in a portion of this ride, but I'll be doing it on my old-style 2005 Tiger, thanks.
XR400 Index
Old 07-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #200
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb Just fantastic

Cannot thank you enough for taking the time to do this! It is really a treat to be able to look back in time like this and only imagine the hardships this rider had to have gone through to make this ride. And at 16 yet!

Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #201
JJMSP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,549
Thanks for the story -

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #202
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked roads
I see the family related to him every couple weeks I'll ask . For all I know bike may be in barn. (don't even ask I'll take it ) Family related has passed thier farm down 7 generations, lots of old stuff there.
That would be cool if you could meet his family. Who know they might have the bike hidden someplace but not know it.

Have you considered scanning the actual pages? I'm sure we'd all love to see them also.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #203
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20scout
interesting.

thanks
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #204
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrtclMn001
Aw, poor doggie.
and he just kept riding?

Holy schnikes!!

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #205
crooked roads OP
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
Page 44

chance of getting thru or............around it. I would hate like everything to have to go back to Martinville and let those fellow laugh at me and say " I told you so" I found a little foot path that went out into the woods on the left hand side of the road. I figured that maybe this path was use by people walking to, get around the mud hole. I thought well it won't hurt to try it. I got on the motor and started out on the path...........page 45........It zizzaged around in the woods a little and then I was on the road again! I was very pleasantly supprised!I look back and I saw the awful mud hole. Sure enough ,I had gone around it. Aftera few more little things like that I arrived at Rocky Mount,Va.( a town of about 500-1,000people , 28 miles from Roanoke,Va.) I stopped at the town grocery store and made a lot of fuss with my engine. It looked like...........page 46........everybody in town came out to meet me,and they all stood around and looked at me. Just like they would stand when a circus would come to town. One fellow steped up to me and said "where in the hell did you come from!?" I said "oh i just poped up out of the ground". Silence! Then he said "well you look like it." Then more silince! Then another...................
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #206
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
unbelievable.

Plows into a dog at 45mph, keeps going, blows off the warnings of a couple of guys stuck in the mud, outruns a tornado, sinks to the gastank (pratically) in a mudhole, fires up the bike (while still in the mud), rides out and just blows it off like it's just another day at the office.

Hey, even Obi Wan Kenobi just about gave up in conditions nowhere NEAR this!

This guy's my new hero.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #207
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

The Force is indeed strong with this one.
XR400 Index
Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #208
crooked roads OP
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
page 47

Then another..............fellow came up to me and said," I am asking you like a gentleman. Would you be so kind to inform us as to the place you have come from. I said " I will do so with great pleasure, I came from Charlotte N.C. this morning, but I have had the most delightful ride from Martinsville here,the country was beautiful, the seanery was magnificent and there was no dust on the road"..........
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #209
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

"No dust"

XR400 Index
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #210
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,874