ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #211
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nocturnal's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Bland,VA
Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus McGee
unbelievable.
sinks to the gastank (pratically) in a mudhole, fires up the bike (while still in the mud), rides out and just blows it off like it's just another day at the office.
I'm sure Gwen can identify with that part.

What a great story, thank you crooked roads for sharing it.

Don, thanks for the heads up, I would have hated to miss this one.
__________________
Overheard at a local campground:
"I'll talk to you any damn way I want unless you've got a gun or a badge!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:33 AM   #212
crooked roads OP
I'm back
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Crooked road va.
Oddometer: 848
page 48

to have heard........those country fellowslaugh. They slaped each otheron the back and roared. One fellowasked meif I saw any trackson the road.I said._"come to thinkof it I didn'tsee any tracks excepta lot of old ruts". He said "well,the roadfor the last two weekshas been concidered impassable for any thingexcept horseback riders.We sent word into Martinsville for them to tell everybody that tried to get thru" I said,"yes,they......pg49.....told me that but I told them thatI didn'tmind a small mater like that".He said ,"now I'm going to tell you something and Iam going to empress it on you. You'll have to stop here,you can't go on ,on a motorcycle. The train is the only thing that leaves this town now . If you want it impressed I'll tell you you have got to ford "BIG CREEK", and it TEN FEET HIGH so you would find it rather hard to ford. I said "you win".........pg50................I put my motor in a fellows barn and I went to the Hotel.It was now dark and raining. It was SOME hotel. AfterI got my room the landlady said "now if you want to cleanup a bit we have a pick and shovel and the hosein the back yard". Her advice was good si I went out in the back yard and had a fellowturn the hose on me while another was going over me with a stick scraping the mud.......
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:35 AM   #213
crooked roads OP
I'm back
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Crooked road va.
Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked roads
to have heard........those country fellowslaugh. They slaped each otheron the back and roared. One fellowasked meif I saw any trackson the road.I said._"come to thinkof it I didn'tsee any tracks excepta lot of old ruts". He said "well,the roadfor the last two weekshas been concidered impassable for any thingexcept horseback riders.We sent word into Martinsville for them to tell everybody that tried to get thru" I said,"yes,they......pg49.....told me that but I told them thatI didn'tmind a small mater like that".He said ,"now I'm going to tell you something and Iam going to empress it on you. You'll have to stop here,you can't go on ,on a motorcycle. The train is the only thing that leaves this town now . If you want it impressed I'll tell you you have got to ford "BIG CREEK", and it TEN FEET HIGH so you would find it rather hard to ford. I said "you win".........pg50................I put my motor in a fellows barn and I went to the Hotel.It was now dark and raining. It was SOME hotel. AfterI got my room the landlady said "now if you want to cleanup a bit we have a pick and shovel and the hosein the back yard". Her advice was good si I went out in the back yard and had a fellowturn the hose on me while another was going over me with a stick scraping the mud.......
darn I forgot to correct my typing
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:15 AM   #214
bosco
Raybanned
 
bosco's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Atop the Bakken
Oddometer: 11,593


Outstanding
__________________
___________________________________
"It's called the American Dream - because you have to be asleep to believe it." -George Carlin
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #215
Geezerider
Just coastin'
 
Geezerider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 869
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldron
I suspect he didn't use I-85 from Spartanburg to Charlotte

Here's a map of SC in 1895:

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/SC/state.htm

GA 1895:

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/GA/state.htm

Alabama 1895:

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/AL/state.htm

NC 1895:

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/NC/state.htm

Va 1895:

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/VA/state.htm
__________________
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
- Buddha.

Geezerider screwed with this post 07-10-2007 at 06:04 AM
Geezerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #216
knuckleheadR6
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 4
I just got caught up and WOW!!!

He outran a tornado huh? thats ridiculous...

I wonder if there's a record of that tornado anywhere? since we have the date, rough location and an approximate time it'd interesting to see if it jives...
knuckleheadR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #217
flyin_
Gnarly Adventurer
 
flyin_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 109
Original add for 1917 powerplus

flyin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #218
Cauldron
Now in DESMODROMIC!
 
Cauldron's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Chaingolia
Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerider

I have a newer version of google than you do I guess. I-85 was included.
__________________
and sorry about the D-con sprinkles on your strawberry shortcake.

Cauldron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #219
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC
 
summerinmaine's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Humboldt Bay & San Felipe BCN
Oddometer: 42,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerider
Is it just me, or do all the "roads" on that atlas appear to be railroads?

Given the times, that might make sense.
__________________
.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #220
El Solo Lobo
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Oddometer: 49
Inspiring

Well, I too have been drawn in and am all ears. A lurker for some time, this is my first post and I have to say that this journey is inspiring me to get off the pavement and get dirty! I too would be all for a commemorative ride.

Thanks Crooked Roads!
El Solo Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:50 AM   #221
drrickk
never act your age
 
drrickk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 123
drrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #222
Geezerider
Just coastin'
 
Geezerider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
Is it just me, or do all the "roads" on that atlas appear to be railroads?

Given the times, that might make sense.
I emailed a friend of mine in S.C. DOT and had him send me the earliest map he could find from their archives. It contains the major roads as of 1925 and is all marked up with proposed paving projects but was remarkably similar to the 1895 map.

Railroads apparently followed major highways, or vice versa.
__________________
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
- Buddha.
Geezerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #223
PegasoPat
General Smart Ass
 
PegasoPat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Sarasota Fl.
Oddometer: 336
No weather radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleheadR6
I just got caught up and WOW!!!

He outran a tornado huh? thats ridiculous...

I wonder if there's a record of that tornado anywhere? since we have the date, rough location and an approximate time it'd interesting to see if it
jives...
I doubt that there were many weather reports back then, people just took the weather that was given them and lived with Besides a funnel cloud can appear and dissapear is minutes, he might have been one of the few people to see it. And i bet he was the only one to out run it on a motorcycle
__________________
Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow
PegasoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #224
Dingo Joe
Frick You...
 
Dingo Joe's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dayton, O
Oddometer: 4,864
OK, I am now going to start calling my bike, my "motor". Chuck ROCKS!...
__________________
"kept down by the man...."
Dingo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #225
Spike
Time Traveller
 
Spike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Right behind you
Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Joe
OK, I am now going to start calling my bike, my "motor". Chuck ROCKS!...
Reminds me of my grandfather (great-uncle, actually) who referred to a bicycle as a 'wheel.'
__________________
Prosperity is just around the corner. -Herbert Hoover, 1932
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014