User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #301
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
Here is the view in Roanoke toward Rocky Mount

Near as I can tell, if he rode to Roanoke from Rocky mount this was the view in his rear view mirror.
Attached Images

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #302
crooked roads OP
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
pg 69

.........wheel was hanging about a foot over the cliff. I saw what a place I was in. I said,"motor-cycle, I'm going to hold you up if I can,But if I feel this bush slipping I going to let you go !" The fellows in thewagon helped me up with a rope . They were scared to go so near the edge themselfs. WhenI got up I thanked them and jumped on the motor and left. Now I couldn't go slow because that would show that I was very scared so I went flying down the road as if.........70........nothing had happened . But believe me I watched the turns. Now the reason I had ignored the danger sign is the last 100 miles I have seenabout 200 danger signs and all the danger signs seen to be put up at the wrong place -where there is no danger, But this time there was . It seems to me they ough not allow that,it's like calling "wolf". I got into Puliski,Va. only to find that I was on the wrong .......
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #303
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
Ok, I ain't trying to take this thread over,

but check this out.
Attached Images

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #304
Ironhead
But Itsa Dry Heat

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike
Hey, Crooked, I've copied your text to MS Word, and will edit it into shape (I'm a compulsive editor - can't help myself ). I'm fixing the obvious typo's and assuming that spelling mistakes are just the result of eager typing. Will send you the end product, if you like.

Great story - thanks for all the work posting it!

I would like to see it left as written, I think editing and correcting it would take the heart out of it.

" Lord grant me patience, because if you grant me strength, I'll need bail money and a lawyer to go along with it"
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #305
crooked roads OP
I'm back

pg 71

was on wrong .........71 ....road . The road to Wytherville does not go thru Puliske but turns to the left at the forks I had passed . Well I had to go back,--I got around the dangerous turn O.K. and then just before I came to the forks I passed the same wagon that caused me trouble. I told them that we had our little trouble for nothing , that I was on the wrong road. I got on the right road. It was very bad, rough-muddy-sandy-rocky and lots of creeks to ford. I got along alright on it and.........
Old 07-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #306
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,171
unbelievable.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #307
rogueriderer
LOL at Seriousness

Oddometer: 86
Keep it coming, this is great!
rogueriderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #308
Rte66Charlie
16 fewer wheels

Oddometer: 77
I love this kid! GO CHAS-MAN, GO!!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 AM   #309
Spike
Time Traveller

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead
I would like to see it left as written, I think editing and correcting it would take the heart out of it.
I agree. I have absolutely no interest in changing the words of Chas K. Findlay. The only changes I am making are fixes to obvious typos. Crooked is putting in a lot of work getting this typed in, and I'm just trying to consolidate it. At some point I hope to see a scan of the original, to ensure that that's all I changed.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #310
crooked roads OP
I'm back

pg 72

........a little way before I got into WythervilleI opened up for several miles ,The road was very good . My motor was so full of carbon the best it would do was about 45m.p.h. On a level. I got into Wytheville O.K. I went around to my uncle's house where I had a nice supper and stayed over night. This end's my shortest day's ride . I had come from Rocky Mount Va.to Wytherville Va. by............
Old 07-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #311
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb Thank you

One of the best reports ever. I am just blown away by this young man's can do attitude and matter-of-fact reporting style. He and his motor hanging by their toenails from a cliff that the locals are afraid to approach...being pulled out of danger with a rope & then just getting back on and riding off What an interesting young man!

A huge thank you 90 years later to him for having the foresight to record his experiences...and to CR for taking the time to share with us.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #312
crooked roads OP
I'm back

pg 73

............Roanoke Va. A distance of 119 miles ,riding was 7 hours. Next morning after breakfast I left for Abington Va. My home town. I had very good road a little way out of Wytherville which I road wide open until I came to the old stare road. Now this road is nearly a hundred years old . Built when this part of Va.had only a few settlements . Now by the looks of this road I don't believe it has had any work on it.........*sorry folks I'm a work at home guy. Trying to complete my welding / fab. shop just built. I'll try to slap a pile of pages on tonite . Glad you enjoy this . Jiml
Old 07-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #313
barnboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hey, CR, it's been said plenty of times already, but I just gotta add to the pile-on and mention that I'm enjoying this thoroughly. Thanks so much for your efforts in transcribing and posting this diary. It's very much appreciated.

EJ
barnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #314
beby99
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Very cool story...this thread has gained interest at a few other cycle forums already...would make a really cool movie.
beby99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 AM   #315
AllAWD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked roads
sorry folks I'm a work at home guy. Trying to complete my welding / fab. shop just built. I'll try to slap a pile of pages on tonite . Glad you enjoy this . Jiml
No apology needed, your doing us a great service by posting this up. I love following this ride. It will be sad when it's over because no amount of paypal donation will put him back on the road.

Thank you crooked roads
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote