User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #316
egrant
oldfart

Oddometer: 22
typing much improved

You keep this up and your typing could get you a nice indoor job.
02 DL1000 (#2) 30420 miles
07 DRZ400sm 10185 miles
egrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #317
crooked roads OP
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
pg 74

Since it was built It is a linestone rock road and the rocks are sticking out of the road six to 8 inch high and are fixedin the road so it is impossible to miss them. After a little way I was on a clay road which was worse than ever. After a few miles of that I got on a good,very good road, and open up again .I went thru Marion Va.and just as soon as I got out I opened........
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 AM   #318
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #319
Cauldron
Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer: 2,895
This is a great way to spend a break at work. Makes me want to go for a ride.

And so I will...

This guy understood "Farm Rules Apply"

Cauldron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #320
ktrjc
Displaced Yooper

Oddometer: 3,619
Best read ever.

Please thank the lady from all of us for this piece of history.
ktrjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #321
Spike
Time Traveller

Oddometer: 1,809
Adventure award

I propose a Chas. K. Findlay adventure award, to be bestowed on the rider who, with little preparation and less equipment, rides from Point A to Point B just because he wants to, accumulates the largest collection of unusual adventures, interesting people and ad-hoc repairs, keeps a smile on his face, lives to tell about it and makes the rest of us wish we had done it.

The award shall be in the form of a bronze statue of a fierce, gnomish ferryman with an enormous, floor-length beard. On the base of the statue will be images of a pocket pistol, a large oil can and a piece of barbed-wire fence. The statue will be presented caked with mud, and with a facsimile of the diary written by the original Chas. K. Findlay, as well as a certificate suitable for framing.

The awardee shall thenceforth be entitled to be referred to as 'The Kid.'
Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #322
rmeisen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
dreaming

My son tells me that most people go to sleep and dream of being superman, and that superman goes to sleep and dreams of being Chuck Norris. I bet Chuck goes to bed and dreams of being Charles K Findley....
rmeisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #323
crooked roads OP
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
pg 75

...........up again and flew along. This road lasted for about ten miles and then hit the plain dirt road again . When I got within 10 or 14 miles of Abington I got on the good hard road and flew along . I came over a hill and was flying down into the bottom and all at once crack! snap! and then a loud grind ! The bearings in the front wheels had broken . I was going about 40mph and it was all I could do to keep it from falling. Believe me it did the Solome dance!.......76..........I just did get it stoped in time. Everything in the front hub had broken up and locked the wheel. Now something told me that was going to happen so I was prepared for it when I left Montgomery,Al. I got a big rock and out it under the engine base to raise the front wheel off the ground, then I took the front wheel off. I opened up a small package I had in the tool box which had a whole new set of front.........77.......wheel bearings . I put them in the hub and put the wheel on and was going again,- only lost twenty minutes. Six miles before I got to Albington I came to dirt road again ,It was very bad . My engine was so full of carbon I could ride it wide open in most any kind of road , it would hardly do 35 mph I came to a big mud hole in the road that looked like one I had come thru before I got to Rocky Mount. It was clear across.......78....the road and looked deep. I didn't see anyway around it and the only way to the other side I could see was straight thru the middle. There was an old man plowing in the field right by the road . He looked like he was a hundred years old . I asked him "why don't they fix this mud hole here"? He laughed and said " son , that mud hole has been there for fifty year and has never been................
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #324
Farnsrocket
Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer: 3,983
This story really puts things into perspective and makes me appreciate my bike even more.

I can't leave good enough alone.
Farnsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #325
Spike
Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked roads
... crack! snap! and then a loud grind ! The bearings in the front wheels had broken . I was going about 40mph...

And then he propped the engine on a rock, replaced the bearings and hit the road again...

This kid's alright.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #326
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
How many 16 yr. old kids today would have a clue as to replacing wheel bearings? Never mind have the foresight to bring along a replacement set.

Too much....loving this one for sure.
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #327
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 259
Ferry

Back in post 93 he tells how he flipped a coin and took the road to the right and crossed the water on the ferry. The area he was in here is where my Dad was born and grew up during the same era as this was written. Many times I heard him speak of the old Browns ferry that use to operate carrying people across the Savannah river headed to Anderson. The ferry was used before Mr. Alford built a bridge and charged for people to cross it.
Although I have never lived in Hartwell,(about 3 hours away) I have been there many dozens of times as a child for family reunions and visits to his old friends.
Great read CR. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #328
Spike
Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon
How many 16 yr. old kids today would have a clue as to replacing wheel bearings? Never mind have the foresight to bring along a replacement set.

Too much....loving this one for sure.
How many know what a wheel bearing is? A bearing? A wheel?
(Oh, yeah. A wheel is a place to mount a spinner. )
Old 07-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #329
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 39,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon
True. But how many 16 year olds back then would know how to debug a computer program, or re-wire a video game controller?

Life does go on. It doesn't NECESSARILY mean today's kids are less self-reliant. They just have different outlets. My 17yo does the above, and goes with me to pit crew in the Baja 500/1000.

Just sayin'

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #330
Gary B.
Older than dirt...

Oddometer: 542
I can't get over the fact that he hasn't mentioned a flat...yet. Or did I miss it? I find it hard to believe those tires held up that well.
"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause ? you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."----- John Wayne

DR stands for "Daily Rider"

'06 Suzuki DR650SE
'06 Kawasaki Concours - 2up Cruiser
'99 Yamaha YZ400
'05 KTM 125SX-SOLD!!!
'90 KTM LC4-the bike's gone, but the memory remains, along with the oil spots on the floor
Gary B. is offline   Reply With Quote