Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #376
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,626
Just went back and re-read the whole thing. Crooked Roads, thanks for going to the trouble typing this and sharing it with us.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #377
tonyjuliano
Wooden Indian

Oddometer: 47
Gonna do it...

A friend and I are going to recreate most of this trip this summer. I got a hold of an old Rand Mcnally Auto Trail map from 1922 and was able to discern his most likely route.

Only exception is where he heads west from Roanoke, we are going to head north on the Blue Ridge Parkway back to Pennsylvania.
tonyjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #378
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,869
Good on ya for trying it!

Make sure to reference the original journey somehow in your ride report title so us hangers-on will be able to key on it.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #379
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
WOW! That was a great read. Best ride report I have read. Thanks for taking all the time to share it with us.
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #380
Media
livin' in overtime

Oddometer: 94
...and another one bites the dust.

CR
You are a fortunate man, running across this.

And we are more fortunate for your having shared it.

Thanks and Happy Trails

"a motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth,
because of its logical extension of our faculties,
and the hint, the provocations, to excess."
--T.E. Lawrence

“I will only smoke one cigar...............at a time.”
--Mark Twain
Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #381
tonyjuliano
Wooden Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
Good on ya for trying it!

Make sure to reference the original journey somehow in your ride report title so us hangers-on will be able to key on it.
Will do...

Just figured out part 2 this afternoon, so we are going to do the whole shebang, with a slight difference.

We are heading out from Philly to Front Royal, then south on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Pkway to Roanoke.

From Roanoke we'll head west, tracing the final leg of his original route, before heading south to cover Part 2 to Montgomery.

From Montgomery, we'll follow part 1 back up to Roanoke via his original route, before heading north once again via the Blue Ridge and Skyline, then back to Philly.

It's around 2.2K miles total, hope to cover it all in 8 days.

tonyjuliano screwed with this post 03-16-2008 at 08:20 PM
Old 03-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #382
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Amazing story!! Just found it and read it through. The photos folks have added make it incredible.

My great grandfather rode an Indian in WWI - he was some sort of messenger. He was Canadian, which meant he would have been fighting for the Brits. There are different versions of how he died, but apparently he was killed in some sort of accident (on his bike). I'm trying to find old photos, but they seem to have disappeared when my grandmother died a few years ago.
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #383
RideWeaver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Amazing...

CR...just read the thread and it's an amazing story.

I too would like to throw my name into the ring for a ADV re-creation ride. I'd love to just see some of the country side that must have 'zipped' past the young ADV rider!

I'd write more but I just can't wait any longer...got to get over to the other thread and read the second part.
RideWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #384
tonyjuliano
Wooden Indian

Well, the time is almost here.

We've successfully recreated young Mr. Findlay's original route, and we depart on July 19th.

See this thread for all the details...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...21#post7345621
Old 07-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #385
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjuliano
Well, the time is almost here.

We've successfully recreated young Mr. Findlay's original route, and we depart on July 19th.

See this thread for all the details...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...21#post7345621
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #386
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion

The oil system was simple, a tank of oil (usually incorporated in with the petrol tank), and a hand operated plunger pump on or beside the fuel tank. You gave the plunger of the pump a good long hard shove with the palm of your hand every so often. For variable values of "often". More frequently going up hills, or if you were "scorching", or if the motor seemed to be running over hot (which was almost all the time!), or tight. The oil was fed through the bearings into the crankcase, splashed around a bit (the crankshaft was often fitted with a scoop to throw the oil around), and eventualy escaped either by being burned or out the crankcase vent.That was it, just your hand and a good thump. No mechanical drive or smarts.
I wonder if the discussions around motorcycle clubs went like they do here on that subject...

Cracker #1: I push my plunger every few minutes. More if I remember; less if'n I ferget.

Cracker #2: You're askin' for trouble if you don't push it every 5 seconds. I constantly count in my head: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 PUSH 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 PUSH...

Cracker #3: That's wasteful and harmful to them there critters! I have a collection can under my crank vent. I just pour it back in the tank when it fills up. I sleep good at night, 'less my rheumatiz acts up.

Quote:
Headlight would certainly have been acetylene. Electric lights were around but they were no good. The acetylene lamps gave good light, but they were pigs of things for blowing out on stormy nights. And trying to relight them in the rain was no fun at all. One reason why I always strap an umbrella to the bike, it gets a few raised eyeborws, but you never know when it will come in handy.
Cracker #1: My lamp ain't what it used to be... wish there was som'in else.

Cracker #2: What? You don't have one of them new fangled 'letric lamps from Chekago yet! Ain't a worth riding at night without one.

Cracker #3: Zzzzzzzzzzz...

Quote:
Chain driven speedos? I doubt the chain drive was especially for the speedo. A lot of bikes of that era still sported auxiliary pedals, both to start the machine - put bike on rear stand in gear , pedal hard - and as emergency power. Bear in mind that the actual engine drive was usually by belt, which did not work at all well the "other way round"- ie driving the engine instead of being driven. So retaining the original pedal chain drive made sense.And hooking the speedo drive gearbox onto it was eminently sensible. Coudnt run a speedo off a belt drive of course.
Great info cobber - thanks for sharing

Quote:
The Indian was a very technically advanced machine for its era, back then the Yanks made the best motorcyces in the world. Even so, I'd be doubtfull of his 60mph, that was a very high speed for that day, even the racing Norton in my avatar picture would have been hard pushed to maintain that for long.

And the roads sound much better than the New Zealand ones of the same era, they must have been to maintain a 20mph average.

A very interesting read.
World's Fastest Indian was from your neck of the woods. What a great flick too.

Anyways, the way the story was going I'm surprised he didn't try to cross the RR trestle over Big Creek...

on pg. 75 but I have to pause...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #387
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
What a great ride report, a lot has changed and a lot remains the same too, I will read with interest the reports from guys attempting to retrace his route, CR thanks for sharing.

Stewart
Oilybimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #388
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
nothing to add so I'll make it short:

CR, Thanks for a great read!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #389
trippheard
n00b

Oddometer: 3
A family link...

Fascinating reading. The route from Montgomery Al to Charlotte was along what is now US29. My great grandparents had a small farm just north of Opelika, AL about a 1/2 mile south of Bean's Mill (that was still grinding corn in the early 1950's). Their house was less than 50 yds from the well-worn dirt road that is now US29. My grandmother would have been 14. I can imagine her looking out off the porch as this young man and his strange machine passed by.....
trippheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #390
GeoDude
Oblio had a point

Oddometer: 58
Living history - Brilliant!

I just ran across the original thread for the kid's trip report.

Amazing adventure - and thanks once again to CR for taking the time and effort to light up the imaginations of so many of us inmates.

Thanks too to all the folks who have added snippets of history, geography and technology to add even more life to Chas' adventure. It does indeed make for interesting living history.

I'm off to read Part 2
And they roam the world at will...."

Spell of the Yukon by Robert Service
GeoDude is offline   Reply With Quote