Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
If I remember right, the group that did the Angola ride report (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251) used those plastic / mylar? liners from the boxed wine containers. They are designed to contain alcohol already. They did some testing on these prior to their trip with posted results.

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 567
You can use the msr, black not red, water bladders. The black ones are heavier weight and hold up to some abuse. They come in sizes from 2 to 10 litres. http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/sear...130205221236:s
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
http://liquidcontainment.com.au/category/12/Motor-Bike

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBMW View Post
Just Gas Tanks was selling these for a while but they had so many problems with them ...and lack of support from Australia they gave up on them... I dont think anyone here sells them any longer.. but they will ship them to you straight from Australia.. at least they would 6 months ago when I emailed them..
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #20
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by effensteve View Post
You can use the msr, black not red, water bladders. The black ones are heavier weight and hold up to some abuse. They come in sizes from 2 to 10 litres. http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/sear...130205221236:s

FWIW,,,,, I have one of these after it was recomended by a couple travelers. I used it once and the smell of fuel permeating from it is terrible. So I asked the guys that recommended it and was told that they also experience the fuel smell.

Just a heads up in case anyne is considering one.

PS If anyone is interested in mine,,,, I'll make you a good deal, but won't ship it with the smell associated.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
FWIW,,,,, I have one of these after it was recomended by a couple travelers. I used it once and the smell of fuel permeating from it is terrible. So I asked the guys that recommended it and was told that they also experience the fuel smell.

Just a heads up in case anyne is considering one.
A rider in my group used an MSR 6L dromedary bag for gasoline for the first time about a week ago. I could smell gas whenever we stopped so I pulled it out of his backpack to check. No fuel leaks (no wet spots) but it sure did smell. The rider that was carrying it already has the biggest (the only) tank available for his TE250, but at 2.9gallons we knew he would need to carry much more for our 300 mile loop with only 1 fuel stop.

The MSR bag did the trick but it will only be used on rare occasions. My concern is that if I can smell it, there is vapor in the air and fuel vapors are obviously very flammable. I have tried to convince him to buy a Nomad tank http://www.nomadtanks.com.au/Tanks.php for the rear of his bike, but we don't have many loops that have great expanses between fuel stops to justify it. For the cost of the MSR bag it was worth trying and I would still recommend using it, just try to strap it to your bike outside of any bags/boxes.
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #22
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
A rider in my group used an MSR 6L dromedary bag for gasoline for the first time about a week ago. I could smell gas whenever we stopped so I pulled it out of his backpack to check. No fuel leaks (no wet spots) but it sure did smell. The rider that was carrying it already has the biggest (the only) tank available for his TE250, but at 2.9gallons we knew he would need to carry much more for our 300 mile loop with only 1 fuel stop.

The MSR bag did the trick but it will only be used on rare occasions. My concern is that if I can smell it, there is vapor in the air and fuel vapors are obviously very flammable. I have tried to convince him to buy a Nomad tank http://www.nomadtanks.com.au/Tanks.php for the rear of his bike, but we don't have many loops that have great expanses between fuel stops to justify it. For the cost of the MSR bag it was worth trying and I would still recommend using it, just try to strap it to your bike outside of any bags/boxes.
The flamability of the fumes is what bothers me the most. Too bad because otherwise they would be a perfect solution.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote