Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #1501
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Speed
then again i only weigh 65kgs~145lbs. and yes, i have stock pegs.
Well there you go, you arent built like a big burly american!!! I call it being husky, not over weight!!!
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #1502
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo
Well there you go, you arent built like a big burly american!!! I call it being husky, not over weight!!!
yeah the xl600 is the perfect bike for me size wise, nice and light to handle so i can embarrass sports bike riders through the corners and even keep up with them from the lights until about 70kph. and i can pick it up easily on trails.

some people take one look at me and one look at the 600 kickstarter and cant believe it when i kick it into life on the first try.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #1503
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by crag antler
Great. you answered a question that has been in the back of my mind for a while. Where to find bigger pegs.
I didn't know if XR600 pegs would fit, but if you are saying KLR 650 pegs will, that would be great
Now is there a specific year range or any year fit??
Also, if they are off a KLR will my Honda go Faster & Smoother??
Just for you Uncle Dirt
Fixt!

And the answer is, yes. Yes it will. BTDT, got the T-Shirt.

I'll have you know that my little green machine (ugh, hurts to say that) goes .............oh this is uncomfortable...............well, faster on the highway. Whew, glad that's over with.

And don't count me out yet. Now that i have my commuter ride, I'm gonna start saving for a 2nd bike. Won't be a 600, but I surely do want to replace the XL500S that I sold. Notice I haven't changed my avatar?????

And for cred purposes, proof that I've been riding hondas longer....
1968 or 1969

Crappy pic, but that's me.
Oh, and those big pegs he put on are aftermarket for the KLR, not stock.

I did suffer a setback on the new ride.
Story here - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=522502&page=4
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #1504
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo
I'm in shape. And that shape is "round". The stock foot pegs were fine for me too, so longs as they weren't wobbled out in the middle.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #1505
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt

I'll have you know that my little green machine (ugh, hurts to say that) goes .............oh this is uncomfortable...............well, faster on the highway. Whew, glad that's over with.
that dont sound right,

klr:
single carb, 45hp, 154kgs dry

xlr:
dual carb, 45hp 134kgs dry

that dual carb makes a massive difference. how was the xl600 running when you had it?

the thing that annoys me and turned me off the klr650 when looking for a bike was the fact that you had to make heaps of mods just to make it useable. although it might be cheap to buy thats because kawasaki couldnt be bothered building it properly and that means that you have to mod the crap out of it, in addition it is heavy, tall and relatively unsophisticated compared to other thumpers - and thumpers arent exactly works of art to begin with.

the xl600 is ready to go no matter what.

but aslong as it floats your boat mate! there are much worse things and after all if it has 2 wheels and an engine you cant really go wrong, youve gotta realise if it isnt a honda xl600 were talking about, im going to be very cynnical, even about the other bikes i own.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ

God of Speed screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 07:11 PM
Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #1506
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Hey G.O.S...

Called my local honda shop today about pilot jet and they said they had some for a mikuni carb, but will fit just fine for $2.50. So no worries. In the mail tommorrow.
gorilla2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #1507
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla2891
Called my local honda shop today about pilot jet and they said they had some for a mikuni carb, but will fit just fine for $2.50. So no worries. In the mail tommorrow.
mamma mia excellento!

whats the model # of the mikuni jet for future reference?
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #1508
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

GOS, don't know the how or why. All I know is that the XL600 was running good, rode her all summer, regular oil changes, filter cleaning, spark pulg replaced, then cleaned and gapped to specs, and the valves adjusted to spec (a little more open than tight). Running the 15/43 sprockets, she was just within the top of comfortable rpm's at 75, and almost nothing left to give when it came passing.

At 80mph, you could tell she was straining and really had nothing left. Felt like she would blow if I did that for a half an hour, so I never did. Remember that this is all at between 5500 ft and 7200 ft above sea level.

But the new one that shall remain nameless, will run up to 90 before I'm at 6K rpms. Under redline. And at 75, she doesn't have much in passing power, but more than the XL did by quite a bit. And she seems very comfortable and the temp gauge (stock) is under half running for 30 minutes at 80mph.

And I like the big tank (stock) and the tail rack (stock). Farkles are in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #1509
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,446
6'1" 275 lbs and getting old so I stand up alot ( bad back ).The extra width REALLY helps the soles of my feet.YES aftermarket KLR pegs........
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #1510
God of Speed

Quote:
GOS, don't know the how or why. All I know is that the XL600 was running good, rode her all summer, regular oil changes, filter cleaning, spark pulg replaced, then cleaned and gapped to specs, and the valves adjusted to spec (a little more open than tight). Running the 15/43 sprockets, she was just within the top of comfortable rpm's at 75, and almost nothing left to give when it came passing.

At 80mph, you could tell she was straining and really had nothing left. Felt like she would blow if I did that for a half an hour, so I never did. Remember that this is all at between 5500 ft and 7200 ft above sea level.

But the new one that shall remain nameless, will run up to 90 before I'm at 6K rpms. Under redline. And at 75, she doesn't have much in passing power, but more than the XL did by quite a bit. And she seems very comfortable and the temp gauge (stock) is under half running for 30 minutes at 80mph.

And I like the big tank (stock) and the tail rack (stock). Farkles are in the eye of the beholder I guess.
i think it might be the alititude then, what main jets did you have?

i remember getting up to 140kph ~ 86mph on my trip, youve seen the pics of how overloaded it was, yet it still could do that speed. i did about 120 ~ 75mph for most of the 10000kms trip, and several times about an hour straight of 130-140kph, hence why i am so surprised about what you say. although it was chewing through a fair bit of juice at those speeds..........not exactly aerodynamically efficient. but as enzo says, aerodynamics is for people who cant build engines.

proper gearing makes a massive difference however, i was actually running 15/41 and am changing to 15/39 when honda get the damn order right! at 15/43 it ran a bit high rpm wise.

i like farkling, as you can see, its just i think it is pretentious of the manufacturer to expect everyone who buys the bike to HAVE to do it. we dont HAVE to do things to the xl600, but we do anyway.

yes the one thing honda obviously didnt put much thought into was the stock tank. 12lts...pft

bah, point is, we are happy with the bikes we have, right?

-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ

God of Speed screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 08:27 PM
Old 11-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #1511
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Right on, we like what we like. I was just ribbing you a bit (stock) .

Have no clue on the jets, but assuming factory for Colorado, the PO did not mention ever changing jets. Did have a SuperTrapp on it, and she was running a bit on the black side. Was going to add a disk or two if I didn't sell it.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #1512
God of Speed

Quote:
Right on, we like what we like. I was just ribbing you a bit (stock) .

Have no clue on the jets, but assuming factory for Colorado, the PO did not mention ever changing jets. Did have a SuperTrapp on it, and she was running a bit on the black side. Was going to add a disk or two if I didn't sell it.
ribbing? go easy with the american colloquialisms there for us (me) aussies.

i WAS kinda trying to get you to admit you should have kept the xl600 anyway............

end of KLR blasphemy now.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 11-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #1513
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Ribbing - FYI only, as in the elbow to the rib gesture.

As for the Honda, maybe I'll change my mind and look for a 600 again as my second bike, but it needs to be red next time, maybe an 83 or 85. Later.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #1514
God of Speed

well, red ones DO go faster........
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ

God of Speed screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 11:18 PM
Old 11-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #1515
Emile
+

Oddometer: 104
thanks for liking the rims here in the EU they are not so hard to find.
did honda not import the XL 600 RM in the US ? that one has tubeless rims aswell.
nice catch on the footpegs and fun conversation that started with it
ps white and blue 600's go faster
Emile is offline   Reply With Quote