Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #151
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
stock gearing is 15-43, at least for the australian models. before my trip i put a 41 tooth rear for the highway but i think zombie's 40 or even a 39 would be better if most of what you would be doing is highway. even when you get into the tuff stuff, the grunt from the single makes up for the lack of rear sprocket teeth. when i got mine it had a 53tooth rear, yes, thats right 53! i think the guy wanted to be able to use 2nd gear as a first gear and tow bmw gsas up mountains in 1st.

joel i have heard that from many people yes. the oil temp gauge was one of the most researched aspects of prepping my bike for the trip as i would be going through the Australian desert in the peak of summer, it was 50c (122f) after having ridden all day at 60mph when i rode into monkey mia and the temp gauge was showing a healthy 95c(203f). which i thought was pretty good, hail to thee my oil cooler!

i looked at everything and eventually decided on the german one. ive heard bad things about xrs only in general and ive been caught up with dodgy USA companies before (thank god for paypal insurance). and yes it is in celsius but ive had to deal with you guys talking in farenheit for ages, and in the end its a certain range you want it to be in, the specific digits dont matter.

but anyway, it WAS very expensive, like 140aud shipped and i spose you guys would expect it to be in your temp scale for that amount.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ

God of Speed screwed with this post 04-28-2009 at 12:13 AM
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #152
God of Speed

i lost the rear going around an off camber corner in the rain recently, it was so easy to hold in one glorious 10m drift as i just leant into it and let the suspension soak up the miniscule kick at the end. im so sick of seeing thumpers in the city with gay stickers and not a speck of dust on them, they remind me of soccer mum's 4wds.

the people that ride those bikes scoff at me and give me this condescending look that is really satisfying for me because i know that no one else will ever want my bike as much as i do, and therefore i know that i will own it forever......and thats a really comforting thing to know.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #153
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXYaX

Whats funny is that I had read this thread (and a few others on the net after my friend offered to sell me the bike).
im very suspicious of people who sell their xls, in my opinion theres something FUNDAMENTALLY wrong with them. like they could secretly be an axe wielding homicidal maniac and want to maintain a facade by selling a bike that just happens to be the greatest piece of machinery known to man, but they dont care about that, they just wanto maintain their facade......

not to be presumptuous or anything
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #154
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterscm
stock gearing is 15-43, at least for the australian models. before my trip i put a 41 tooth rear for the highway but i think zombie's 40 or even a 39 would be better if most of what you would be doing is highway.
Oh yeah, that's right, 15/43. I have 15/40. 40 tooth is the smallest rear I could find, and apparently the smallest JT makes.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #155
MaXYaX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Woops...

I had a little surprise today, as I hit third gear coming off of a stop light the bike made a loud rapid bang bang bang noise and shook violently in time with the noise.

I think "Oh shit, I just blew up my ride!". But when I let off the throttle, all is well, nice and smooth. I'm in the midst of quite a bit of traffic, so I can't pull over, so I just keep her steady and keep out of the throttle. I notice that it only makes this horrible sound under heavy load.

When I get to work I make my first investigation, looks like my chain is slipping. I baby her the 20 miles home and pull off the covers and see this...

Damn...

Surprisingly (or not, I'm new to the two wheeled variety) the back sprocket looked O.K.

It appears someone changed the gearing (at least in the front) as I had 14-43 gearing. The toasted sprocket was labeled PBI 388 14 tooth, the rear appears stock.

Oh well, she'll rest for a few days . I was going to ride it for a while before doing any serious maintenance, but this incident has me worried about the condition of the rest of the bike. So I'll be getting out my fine tooth comb and going over her the best I can for the next few days.

'72 CB500
'78 GS1000
MaXYaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #156
crag antler
Loving the woods

Oddometer: 467
Damn I've seen worn sprockets but never like that.
Make sure you follow the old m/c rule of when you change sprockets, change both and the chain.
You don't want to change one and then end up having to do the other later on.
You guys bragging on these XL600's is just getting me more and more anxious to get mine back together.
1976 Yamaha DT400
2000 Kawasaki Concours
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #157
MaXYaX
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crag antler
Damn I've seen worn sprockets but never like that.
Make sure you follow the old m/c rule of when you change sprockets, change both and the chain.
You don't want to change one and then end up having to do the other later on.
You guys bragging on these XL600's is just getting me more and more anxious to get mine back together.

Absolutely, both sprockets 15-40 will be here friday! Only thing that sucks is that the chain will be here next week . Guess I have to take the cage, damnit.

'72 CB500
'78 GS1000
Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #158
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 807
Does anybody know if any other side covers work such as xl250 350 or such thanks....
scrminbanshee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #159
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrminbanshee
Does anybody know if any other side covers work such as xl250 350 or such thanks....
Nope, observe:

You can have acess to that and a whole lot more at Babbitt's OEM virtual Parts microfische. I recommend ordering from Zanotti's for the best price though. You can just plug in the part numbers you get from Babbitt's into Zanotti's part lookup page, as Zanotti's doesn't have the catalog with pictures on their site.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #160
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 807
Thanks i just recently got one...but its missing the side covers....
scrminbanshee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #161
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrminbanshee
weve already covered this

the 83-85 xl350 xl350r xl600 and xl600r are all the same
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #162
mdkm85
uni-cycler

Oddometer: 65
250 is too tiny...same with the motor size
mdkm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #163
ankenytom
OregonHonda83

Oddometer: 1
'83 Honda XL600R rear rack?

Hey Zombie Stomp, do you want to sell your old homemade rear rack for the XL600R? I live not to far away in Oregon.
ankenytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:51 AM   #164
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankenytom
Hey Zombie Stomp, do you want to sell your old homemade rear rack for the XL600R? I live not to far away in Oregon.
Old? what makes you say that? It's currently bolted on to my "old" Honda XL600, thank you very much!

Whenever I build the next one, and I will, I will be selling that one. I want to build the perfect one now that I know where I can use a really good pipe bender and notching die cutter setup, as well as TIG.

I was thinking about making a few in a weld-your-own kit. What do some of you out there with access to MIG think about that? If I start seeing hands raise, I will bend up a few sets when I finally get to it. I'm seeing so many of these bikes pop up recently that I think there's gotta be a new market for parts and accessories now.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:26 AM   #165
MaXYaX
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
I was thinking about making a few in a weld-your-own kit. What do some of you out there with access to MIG think about that? If I start seeing hands raise, I will bend up a few sets when I finally get to it. I'm seeing so many of these bikes pop up recently that I think there's gotta be a new market for parts and accessories now.
I would buy one . Or I might try and make one for myself. I was thinking doing the setup with the 20mm ammo cans, but substituting the smaller .50 cal cans for around town.

'72 CB500
'78 GS1000