Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009, 04:42 AM   #1636
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkm85
I almost feel like its to late to post this response, like Zombie said, this is a busy thread! But I would feel almost rude if I didnt respond

Mortimersickle-unfortunately i dont know anyone else who has another CDI i can just plug in and see if it works. I seem to be the only one of my friends that even has a bike...maybe I need some new friends!! lol

God of Speed-guess im going to purchase a new CDI and go from there.

I have done some testing with my ohmmeter following the instructions in the clymers manual and the only ignition componet that I can get any resistance from is the pulse generator. Kinda wierd. I did the testing from the wire terminals the plug into the CDI like the manual said. I just dont see why I would have spark for 30min of riding and then it would just go away. what a tease!!!
great stuff. from what i have heard (i havent had any trouble personally) some Honda cdis from that era cause dodgy and inconsistent, incomprehensible behavior, nothing else in my limited knowledge could explain that 30mins of running (if it was 30seconds then it would be a tight valve or something, yes, thanks zombieSt).

from what you explained you seem to have done everything else? important thing is we may have got to the bottom of it and hopefully it will work aswell as mine does.

otherwise ill go back to the naughty chair. i promise.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #1637
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkm85
Mortimersickle-unfortunately i dont know anyone else who has another CDI i can just plug in and see if it works. I seem to be the only one of my friends that even has a bike...maybe I need some new friends!! lol

God of Speed-guess im going to purchase a new CDI and go from there.
If it doesn't work out you can always sell it on Ebay, that was my justification when I needed to swap my CDI.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #1638
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Instrument mount pics!

Hey Zombie, could post some pics of your instrument mounts. Or point me to a posting. I had 3 ideas, 1st take the xl top clamp and xr fork tube down to the machinist and see if is structually sound to hog it out a little, 2nd weld on aluminum spacers to it in the proper location for the mounts, 3rd do a custom braket like you did. I will be putting the forks on today and see what my best option is. A good friend owns a hardware store with a sheetmetal shop so I can get most anything made.
The handlebar risers on the newer xr650l look (from pics on fleabay) to be taller than the ones on my xl or xr?
I was thinking of using the xl lever/master cyl conected to the xr line/caliper. The master cyl seem to be the same size. That way its a bolt and go. Yea, you can tell by looking at em the xr caliper is burlier.
Thanks, Shawn.
gorilla2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #1639
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
It would be too thin to machine the XL one. Best bet would be make some brackets for the XRL one. If you simply get down to business and hold the pieces that need to go together in close proximity, you will see exactly what needs to happen to get them to join. Intuitive, really.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #1640
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup

I kinda thought that and now that I have compared them not only is there not enough material, the xr forks/clamp is wider too. So hopefully I can get the xrl upper soon. So if anybody has or knows where one can be found... There is a guy in xrl parts forum that is supposed to have one next week, but do not want all my eggs in one basket.
Here is a couple pics showing the difference.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #1641
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Good point, also when electrics that start to falter, it's usually worse after they heat up. So after 30 min? ecm in my 91 dakota would do that, start,drive just fine then die suddenly and not start till it cooled down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Speed
great stuff. from what i have heard (i havent had any trouble personally) some Honda cdis from that era cause dodgy and inconsistent, incomprehensible behavior, nothing else in my limited knowledge could explain that 30mins of running (if it was 30seconds then it would be a tight valve or something, yes, thanks zombieSt).

from what you explained you seem to have done everything else? important thing is we may have got to the bottom of it and hopefully it will work aswell as mine does.

otherwise ill go back to the naughty chair. i promise.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #1642
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla2891
Good point, also when electrics that start to falter, it's usually worse after they heat up. So after 30 min? ecm in my 91 dakota would do that, start,drive just fine then die suddenly and not start till it cooled down.
this is excellent news about the cr500 USD forks. ill start scouring the wreckers.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 12-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #1643
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Remember

Double check, cause I only heard of people doing this swap on a different forum. So do a little research first. Zombie posted a pic of an XR600 with a gas tank like he was trying to sell, and I noticed it had some upside down forks on it. Maybe he knows who it belongs to?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #1644
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla2891
Double check, cause I only heard of people doing this swap on a different forum. So do a little research first. Zombie posted a pic of an XR600 with a gas tank like he was trying to sell, and I noticed it had some upside down forks on it. Maybe he knows who it belongs to?
Nope, just found a random pic on ADV via google image search for XR600 and the tank I was looking for. Maybe you'd have similar luck finding the poster. Google image search for xr600 ims tank, 4 gallon, 5 gallon, I forgot which it ended up being.
Joel

Old 12-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #1645
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 595
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #1646
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #1647
God of Speed

guys just a reminder to check those sprocket bolts. my dad noticed there were 2 or 3 missing out of my rear sprocket and the rest were on the way, i literally just put new ones in 600ks ago, loctite and all.

maybe im doing something wrong.......
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ

God of Speed screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 09:45 PM
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #1648
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,270
Quote:
guys just a reminder to check those sprocket bolts. my dad noticed there were 2 or 3 missing out of my rear sprocket and the rest were on the way, i literally just put new ones in 600ks ago, loctite and all.

maybe im doing something wrong.......
No, you just need left handed threads down in Australia. Being upside down and all that, right hand threads back out you see.
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #1649
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt
No, you just need left handed threads down in Australia. Being upside down and all that, right hand threads back out you see.
i knew i was doing something wrong, and the revvy-twisty-noisy thingy is the right hand isnt it?
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #1650
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,270
Quote:
i knew i was doing something wrong, and the revvy-twisty-noisy thingy is the right hand isnt it?
Yes, except in countries that drive on the left side of the road.
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote