Oddometer: 775
yep sure did page 140: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...45878&page=140
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #2312
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
My ex XL600r (-84 Paris-Dakar) is still running

Found it from local Moto-Guzzi dealers garage (actually finnish MG importer).

+94000km on odo.
Starts with first kick (almost...)
Runs nice.

Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #2313
mdkm85
uni-cycler

Oddometer: 65
exhaust port collar

Does anyone have any suggestion/advice on putting the old exhaust port collars on? They dont seem to want to fit. Seems that is only one way that they go on. Ive also been working on the bike for 5hrs now..
mdkm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #2314
crag antler
In the woods lurking

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrminbanshee
Just off the phone from my local honda dealer well i talk to a couple of them and it looks like this stuff is no longer available. So do any of you guys have the item#3 from above that i could buy or a whole switch? All i need are the copper pices that go inside of the item #3 to make mine work. please!! its the onlyu thing left that i need to get mine running.
Yeah, I found out the availability of those last year.
What I did with mine was, I left the switch on the bike to utilize the fork lock.
Bought a weather-proof toggle switch for the lights and got a small keyed switch to turn off power to the bike.
So far everything works ok.
Well at least at that end.
2000 Kawasaki Concours
1976 Yamaha DT400
crag antler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #2315
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkm85
Does anyone have any suggestion/advice on putting the old exhaust port collars on? They dont seem to want to fit. Seems that is only one way that they go on. Ive also been working on the bike for 5hrs now..
They're really simple, if you're having that much difficulty you're probably over-complicating it.

Fit the exhaust pipe into the ports,
slide the bracket up close to the head,
drop the two halves of the collar into the bracket and slide it onto the studs
tighten the nuts.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #2316
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 609
Exhaust Collars

If you are struggling with the thick metal pieces that slide over the two studs and tighten everything down, then make sure they are not warped. Take them off and lay them on a flat surface. If they are bent, just hammer them back down flat. That should help things fit back together.
1983 XL100S, 1980 XL80S, and 1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #2317
mdkm85
uni-cycler

Oddometer: 65
exhaust port collar

Ok yes, I am definitely making this harder than it is supposed to be. Im just confused on which way the collars are installed. Are they supposed to face the engine and actually go into the head around the header or do they back up to head and sit inside of the bracket? hopefully a mental pic is popping up in yalls heads.

Just reread BrandonRs post and installed them into the bracket and then butted the bracket up to the cylinder head but there is still some clearance between the collars and the head. doesnt seem right but im willing to go with it.
mdkm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #2318
HeadTrauma
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer: 1,260
How about a visual from the factory service manual?

Those clamshell halves go around the header tube in the orientation shown, but in front of the forward most ridges on the header tubes.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #2319
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkm85
there is still some clearance between the collars and the head. doesnt seem right but im willing to go with it.
Yes, that's normal, the brackets do not sit flush, the collars have a lip that keeps the bracket from touching anything.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #2320
dutchbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Some Xl questions, can you help?

Hi Guys,

I've got an xl600r and the kickstart spring broke. How much of a job is that? Any tips/advice?

Also, it wasn't running great (hard starting). I replaced stator, CDI, and spark plug but things really didn't change until after cleaning the carbs. Now it starts right up but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies (it will idle fine). Too rich? How is that possible? The jets were stock (I checked; don't recall sizes now) and I didn't change anything (to my knowledge).

Another question. I don't have a turn signal relay. I haven't been able to find an OEM part online. Can I just use a relay from a different bike? I wouldn't think that that would be anything very bike specific. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the many questions. I love my XL and want to get her back on the road!

Thanks!
dutchbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #2321
beezerjoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Another little tip on installing those collars is to wrap them with alittle masking if you have a problem with them staying in place during installation. Once the pipes get good and hot the tape just goes away.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #2322
HeadTrauma
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchbike
1.) I've got an xl600r and the kickstart spring broke. How much of a job is that? Any tips/advice?

2.) Also, it wasn't running great (hard starting). I replaced stator, CDI, and spark plug but things really didn't change until after cleaning the carbs. Now it starts right up but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies (it will idle fine). Too rich? How is that possible? The jets were stock (I checked; don't recall sizes now) and I didn't change anything (to my knowledge).
1.) It is fairly straightforward. The clutch cover has to come off and it's easier if the clutch basket is removed, but I think the kickstart shaft can be removed without doing that.

2.) It could be that the idle air and/or fuel screws are improperly adjusted or something as simple as the idle being set too low.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #2323
beezerjoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I've got an xl600r and the kickstart spring broke. How much of a job is that? Any tips/advice?

Also, it wasn't running great (hard starting). I replaced stator, CDI, and spark plug but things really didn't change until after cleaning the carbs. Now it starts right up but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies (it will idle fine). Too rich? How is that possible? The jets were stock (I checked; don't recall sizes now) and I didn't change anything (to my knowledge).

Another question. I don't have a turn signal relay. I haven't been able to find an OEM part online. Can I just use a relay from a different bike? I wouldn't think that that would be anything very bike specific. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the many questions. I love my XL and want to get her back on the road!

Thanks!
On your kickstart spring you can access it by pulling the clutch cover you may have to pull the clutch to get to it. On your engine dying problem check an see if the choke is stuck open that would make it way rich and possibly cause that dying condition and it would idle or check the idle air mixture screw that may make it rich if out too far but I don't know if it would cause the problem you're having. Could be a vacumm leak or an over oiled air filter too. The turn signal unit in my 600 is an electronic unit I took out of my old long gone pickup. Two prong flashers out of any car will work in that application.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #2324
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
the carb issue sounds like a vacuum leak. check all of the vacuum lines to the vacuum switch and canister. if they have been removed, make sure the ports are plugged properly. the vacuum valve could be bad. check if the manifold is leaking. there is a O-ring gasket between the manifold and head, if the gasket is dry/hard/fogotten, it won't seal right when you re-install the manifold. also, of course, the hose clamps holding the carb on the manifold.

a good way to find vaccum leaks, is to spray a little WD-40 or something flammable near the suspect area. if the engine surges because it's ingesting the spray, then you have found the leak.

finally, make sure the choke plunger goes all the way in, although it won't idle when it's warm when the choke is on.

standard blinker relays should work with the standard bulbs. I use an "electronic" blinker relay, which also works with low wattage/LED bulbs.

I haven't had to change the kickstart spring, so I don't know how much work that is.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks!
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #2325
dutchbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Thanks guys!

Ok, so the kickstarter spring is not too bad. Great!

I've checked for vacuum leaks on the carb with sprays (I thought that maybe I messed up the seal on the manifold) but nothing. I will check again and all other hoses and seals. I just don't get it. Air filter is not over-oiled. Choke is not stuck open (it opens and closes fine). I was thinking that maybe the idle mixture adjustment is off but was doubting whether that could do it. I will experiment some more and see what it will lead me to. Any more ideas welcome of course!

Thanks for the re-assuring words on the turn signal flasher! Will put in something I can get my hands on.
dutchbike is offline   Reply With Quote