Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #241
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker
Ok, I've got a tuning question (and several others as well). I don't know what's been done to the bike but it is lean according to the plug. My question is where do I start? I'm not used to dual carbs so is it the main one that is typically lean or the secondary (high speed?) one?
Can I just turn the air/fuel screw?
The throttle is also hanging up, it is hard to turn and when you do turn it it stays where it is.
Is it common for these things to leak oil from everywhere?
When it is started from cold, there is just a small amount of blue smoke that puffs out the exhaust, is this common too? The bike has good compression.
I dig the racks too, wish I had one.
Keno
dont be overwhelmed by the dual carbs, they arent really that difficult to get right.

it is good for the longevity of the engine to have it running slightly rich. when i got mine it was jetted at 108 primary and 105 secondary. its 118 and 115 stock in australia. but ive got it running 125 and 120 now and it makes a great difference in power and cooling without too much increase in consumption. but its up to you, the margin for error is great as i did my trip through a stinking hot aussie desert in summer running lean and it was fine. i do have an oil cooler though.

leave all the carb adjusting screws as per the manual except i like to have it idling around 1600rpm so that the oil is always flowing around the head nicely and it doesnt foul plugs.

however i cant tell you much about the air/fuel mixture screw as mine is the 85 model not equipped with one.

--------------------------------------

the throttle should just need some adjusting at the grip end, its not hard to do. but do it quickly as this engine is not the sort of one you want to be revving unexpectantly when you snap the handlebars or jamming wide open.

----------------------------------

they arent sposed to be leaking oil everywhere is what the manufacturer will say. some say that how much oil leaks out is a good way of telling how good the oil is thats in it. as long as you keep it topped up in eliminates the need for oil changes aswell because its constantly recirculating. it up to you to how much oil you want spilling onto the garage floor. i got sick of it and fixed the gaskets on mine.

- the key phrase there being: 'keep it topped up' if it seizes on you because youve neglected it and not put oil in it, well.........you wont have won friends here.

good oil makes alot of difference as i once ran about 800ks on only 400mls, it didnt over heat at all and i wasnt worried because it was the best oil on the shelf.

--------------------------------------------

the blue smoke is more zombiestomp's area but it sounds like valve stem seals? if they are worn they will let a bit of oil through into the cylinder until they warm up, expand and seal. not too much to worry about until its smoking all the time.

if you say it is leaking out of everywhere and blowing smoke on startup then there might be too much oil in it. mine usually leaked out of just the crankcases but once when i over filled by about 300ml it was coming out of everywhere like you say, it should have 2lts in it.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 AM   #242
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 596
XL600 Carbs

Badweather,

The primary carb on the left side of your bike is the carb that is used for start-up, idling, and up-to about half throttle. Then the secondary carb starts to open via a small arm in-between the two carbs, and it will help deliver more fuel and air during the half to full throttle demands.

The primary carb has a pilot jet and a main jet, and the secondary only has a main jet. The fuel mixture screw is found on the primary carb. It is either staring you in the face on the side of the carb, or down on the bottom in front of the float bowl.

Bigger main jets WILL help, as will a good cleaning.

I had oil leaks too because my bike had about 12,000 miles and had been sitting in a garage for 6 years partially dissassembled. I ended up replacing every rubber seal on the bike and now it does leak or drip. But Waterscm is right, a lot of people don't understand how to fill the oil properly, so check it. When you change oil, drain the case and the downtube, and change the oil filter. Now refill the oil up by the front of the gas tank. When it shows that it is full, start the bike and let it run for a minute or two, then shut it off. Now check your oil again, because you will need to add more. The brief runnning of the engine circulates the new oil through the pump and lines, so now you have to add some more oil.

By the way, you traded a nice looking ATC for that bike, you must be growing up! If I wasn't all the way in Wisconsin, I might have looked at that SX myself. They were fun machines.

Spend some time reading through all the threads on the XL600 and you will probably become an expert over a couple of days...
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:37 AM   #243
God of Speed

i tend to just put 2lts straight in the valve caps without running it in between. something i learnt from zombiestomp....
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 05-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #244
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterscm
i tend to just put 2lts straight in the valve caps without running it in between. something i learnt from zombiestomp....
Just wait till you get your BIG tank. You won't be doing that anymore.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #245
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016
Just wait till you get your BIG tank. You won't be doing that anymore.
i got a paris dakar 21lt.

and yes, better to just take it off.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 05-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #246
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Dakar tank? Let's see some pics on your bike. If nothing else, it will make Zombie REALLY jealous.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #247
God of Speed

zombie was the first person to know!

this is it on a bike in 1985. the guy rode around Australia with it in the 80s. unfortunately i only got it AFTER my trip.

i wont dare say how much i paid for it because your jealously would probably peak, considering they werent sold in australia and had to be imported i would have paid alot more for something so rare, specific to the xl and so close to home.

so when i saw it for $x00 aud. i pounced.
Attached Images

-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ

God of Speed screwed with this post 05-06-2009 at 08:37 PM
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #248
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Thanks for all the help guys! I had a chance today to spend a little more time with her. I think I have one of those one kick wonders because it starts on the first try almost every time.
The oil leaks are small, no big deal really but it was a 1/2 quart low on oil. I did notice that the spark plug was loose so maybe that's where some of the oil came from? Could possibly be why it's a little white, I'm going to ride it a little more just to see before I jump into rejetting, etc.
I don't think the smoke is a big deal either as it's only a very minimal amount, just when it first fires.
The only other concern is that it gets hot! That thing cooks my legs, waay hotter than my XR200R.
All in all I really like the bike! THe seller gave me an extra box of parts and a factory service manual with it too.
mrfixit, the ATC was in excellent shape, just never ridden. I was the second owner and have owned it since 1995. Bought it from a friend who bought it new, lot's of fun! My daughter has grown out of her Raptor 50 so she was asking to ride it so I figured I'd sell/ trade it before she got hurt. BTW, her ATV is for sale now too, got to get her a bigger one.
Looking forward to knowing the bike more as well as those of you who ride XL's also.
Anyone have one of those racks lying around you might want to part with?
Ken
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #249
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Nice article I just stumbled across:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xl600r
Old 05-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #250
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
That's the Cycle World review of the XL600 when it first came out in 1983! JStory turned me on to that one.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #251
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
What's everyone using for oil coolers? Mine is hotter than my old Harley.
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #252
God of Speed

mine is a lockhart cooler from an 05 xr650r. apparently it did the 05 baja 1000, i dont really care, all i know is that it saved my piston from seizing many times when i was too ignorant to notice.........

highest temp ive ever seen is 160 celsius with an oil blockage, hate to think what it wouldve been like without a cooler!
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 05-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #253
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Oddometer: 294
Got my new to me red head. I'll swap it in sometime this week when work doesn't keep me till dark and weather permitting, hopefully the gaskets and bolts i need come in soon. Damn twitchy foot and my shifting down an extra gear. I'll see if I can find the camera to take some pics.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:59 AM   #254
crag antler
Loving the woods

Oddometer: 465
Who knows the secret to repairing side cover pegs?
My left cover's rear peg in bent at an angle where it looks like it wants to come off soon. I know in the past on other bikes, I would tie-wrap the cover on,but thought I would check first here to see if anyone has repaired theirs.
From what I can see looking at used covers on fleabays, is that it is a common failure.
Don't want to drop anymore more $, especially for cosmetic, so thanks for the help.
1976 Yamaha DT400
2000 Kawasaki Concours
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #255
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker
What's everyone using for oil coolers? Mine is hotter than my old Harley.

$30.00 from Pep Boys. Ugly but it is effective. I could find not other adequate place to put it but on top of the fender. A smaller unit can hang down by the frame and requires trimming of the fender.
Search oil coolers on ebay and some neato stuff comes up from time to time. I did an oil cooler on my XT225 and it sold me hands down. Air/oil cooling works very well.