Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #4021
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,257
I believe the XL's cdi has a different connector than later('88+?) XRs.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #4022
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
The XL600R CDI is not an easy piece to find. I was looking forever for a spare and I've had no such luck. Damn Honda for NLA'ing that thing.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #4023
EnduroTom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hi Performance Air Filter

The bike also came with a low restriction air filter!

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/v...R/P2200064.jpg
EnduroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #4024
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
low restriction air filter

Mine came with one like that too! Are they factory or aftermarket? I was thinking of selling mine and going back to a stock style. Any idea what I should ask for it?
BRPtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #4025
heart_of_darkness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat14 View Post
The piston looks fine. If there was low compression I would expect to see some evidence of blow-by but all I see is some slight wear.

Is the polished looking area on the piston skirt a concern? I'm pulling apart a 600 with an unknown history; its piston looks very similar, and the ring gap is within service limits. I was worried that the bright spot was an indication of a worn piston rocking within the bore. I don't have a large enough micrometer to measure the piston size.
heart_of_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #4026
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroTom View Post
Thanks for the reminder Head Trauma. Yes, I'm more use to working on bikes with points.

Well, it looks like the coil works. Can't say it'll work well, but I was able to measure something off of the high tension side when I briefly connected it to the battery. Then I was able to measure something coming out of the stator. Both the ignition and the battery charging circuits showed something when I kicked over the engine. I also checked the resistance of the pulse generator and that was close to what the book had.

So, I believe CDI is dead. Electrical power is going in to the CDI, but nothing is coming out. Unfortunately Honda has discontinued the '86 XL600R CDI. Searching on this forum, I found a post by Toxic Jonny that said Arrowhead Electronic's '86-'00 XR600 CDI box will work (their website show '93-'00). So does that mean any '93-'00 XR600 CDI will interchange?
If you can not find a second hand or new one in US then Google for Sparker-CDI . The company in Techeslowakia make a DC CDI for the XL . No problems with the Ignition Coils anymore .
At M&S Motorrad Shop in Germany you can get a new CDI with the 2 Plugs as one to one replacement for the XL .
If you need the one with the round Plug its possible to use it if you change the Plug on your wireing .
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #4027
EnduroTom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
How to Remove Stator Cover?

Thanks for the tips on the XL600R CDI's. I'm reluctant to buy a used CDI, so I'm considering buying a aftermarket CDI for a similar vintage XR600. From photos on the web, they both have the same 2 connectors.

I tried taking off the stator cover (left engine cover) but couldn't. Took all the screws off and then tried tapping it with a plastic hammer. I contemplated prying off the cover using the clutch cable support, but then remembered seeing photos of broken supports in this thread. I actually took out a chisel and thought about hammering it in between the cover and case. But then I saw the word "Magnesium" cast in to the side and decided I should ask you guys first.

Thanks,
Tom
EnduroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #4028
ZapGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
7 minute TIMING CHAIN replacement XL600r Honda with jazz

Something I ran across on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcEaTmWcHE
ZapGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #4029
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Video

That's a good video. It's a shame that the "persistant user" he refers to has caused him to edit his video. I watched it several times before he did that to it and I didn't see anything that led me astray while doing mine. As always, don't just take one source of information, that's my motto anyway.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #4030
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Seat rebuilding

So, I've got my bike all back together, again. The last thing that needs fixing is the seat. I've ordered a new seat cover from a guy in New Zealand, and I'd like to get my foam rebuilt before installing the beautiful new cover. My question is: What would be considered a fair price for rebuilding a seat? Also, has anyone experimented with different types of foam or shapes? Any info, is appreciated!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #4031
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on the XL600R CDI's. I'm reluctant to buy a used CDI, so I'm considering buying a aftermarket CDI for a similar vintage XR600. From photos on the web, they both have the same 2 connectors.

I tried taking off the stator cover (left engine cover) but couldn't. Took all the screws off and then tried tapping it with a plastic hammer. I contemplated prying off the cover using the clutch cable support, but then remembered seeing photos of broken supports in this thread. I actually took out a chisel and thought about hammering it in between the cover and case. But then I saw the word "Magnesium" cast in to the side and decided I should ask you guys first.

Thanks,
Tom
Try pulling on the clutch lever while tapping on the stator cover. That will apply outward pressure on the cover and help it unseat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_of_darkness View Post
Is the polished looking area on the piston skirt a concern?
Not if the skirt is reasonably within service limits.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #4032
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,303
Quote:
I tried taking off the stator cover (left engine cover) but couldn't. Took all the screws off and then tried tapping it with a plastic hammer. I contemplated prying off the cover using the clutch cable support, but then remembered seeing photos of broken supports in this thread.
Good photos to remember.

It is as fragile as you suspect. Mine broke on the trail, presumably from just being hit by a rock or stick.

BTW, anyone with a broken one who doesn't want to spring 40+ bucks for that nifty aftermarket bracket, here is a quick 32 cent fix. It looks kinda KLRish, but it works well, and after several hundred miles, seems to be durable.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #4033
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

I think either SRC or XR's Only used to offer a bolt-on bracket to replace a broken clutch cable tab. Maybe XR's Only still does; I haven't looked.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #4034
stumped
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
i had no problem getting stator cover off, but clutch cover didn't want to budge. i used a putty knife, tapped it in with small hammer, went as far around it as i could reach. then tapped on the cover,pried just a bit...
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #4035
bikejones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
I just did a huge trip in my truck, 4,000 miles, and the ethanol content seems to be more than 10% in the winter blends. It sucks, guzzles and has far less power. Then maybe you rarely score a tank of real fuel and its back to running great.
Is there anything in our carbs that is certain to die with this swill- like needle valves, orings and bowl seals? How is your bike holding up to this stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Thats correct , never fill E10 in the XL Tank .
The Alloy of the Keihin Carbs will turn to white powder if the E10 try out in the Float Bowel . Looks like a reaction between the Alcohol and Zink with Oxygen .

My Solution , i change the Carbs to Mikuni TM 34
Is pump gas with 10% Ethanol the same as E10?

Has anyone tried a fuel additive like Star Tron???

Features:
      • Reduces all emissions
      • Prevents fuel oxidation and stabilizes fuel chemistry for at least 1 year
      • Lowers fuel system maintenance
      • Eliminates carbon build-up in fuel delivery system and on exhaust components
      • Increases fuel economy, especially in older engines. Instantly cures fuel jelling caused by cold weather and E10---alcohol fuels.

bikejones screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 02:59 AM Reason: 'cause I can't spell for sh!t.
bikejones is offline   Reply With Quote