User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #5371
georgej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Owners manual

Does anyone know of a source for an owners manual for an '84 XL600r? I have a Clymer that came with the bike. I would like an owners manual,just to have.
georgej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #5372
Scientist of Fun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
In my opinion, the best place to buy tools is a flea market. Whenever I go to one, I look for used Craftsman (or other lifetime garunteed tools) that I need or are missing from my set. A wrench that runs $10-$15 at Sears can often be had for $2-$4. Ratchets can be had for $10.
Yeah, i'm going up to La Porte, TX for a weekend to visit and see what its like over there. Just got a great job offer.. While i'm at it, i'm going to pass through some major flea markets. Will definitely be adding some new tools to the ol' box. Oh, I heard you can take Craftsman tools to Sears and redeem warranty, getting you brand new tools.... I wonder how true and hassle-free that really is. Heard of a couple of close friends who have done it "hassle-free".. hmmmmm that would be great. Buy some old and used (yet intact) Craftsman tools for dirt cheap and redeem the lifetime warranty on all of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgej View Post
Does anyone know of a source for an owners manual for an '84 XL600r? I have a Clymer that came with the bike. I would like an owners manual,just to have.
as long as you have a pdf reader - - check out: http://www.hondaxl.it/manuali.htm
Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #5373
georgej
Gnarly Adventurer

[

as long as you have a pdf reader - - check out: http://www.hondaxl.it/manuali.htm[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scientist,I've seen this page and thought it was a shop manual.As I clicked on some on the links,lseems like it is an owners manual to me.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #5374
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
I might have a '85 User's Manual. I'll look. sometimes they come up on ebay.

Quote:
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #5375
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
if you want a "hard copy"...they do pop up on ebay now and then..as well as swap meets
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #5376
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,182
[QUOTE=Scientist of Fun;17695269]Yeah, i'm going up to La Porte, TX for a weekend to visit and see what its like over there. Just got a great job offer.. While i'm at it, i'm going to pass through some major flea markets. Will definitely be adding some new tools to the ol' box. Oh, I heard you can take Craftsman tools to Sears and redeem warranty, getting you brand new tools.... I wonder how true and hassle-free that really is. Heard of a couple of close friends who have done it "hassle-free".. hmmmmm that would be great. Buy some old and used (yet intact) Craftsman tools for dirt cheap and redeem the lifetime warranty on all of them

Its hassle free but only on things like non power hand tools. No problem swaps, no questions asked. I made a living with Craftsman tools for over 10 years and still use them.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #5377
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

aside from seeing "rust" on ratchets or clear and obvious hammer damage to some tools craftsman has ALWAYS replaced my stuff..often times with ratchets changing ive actualy walked out with BETTER ratchets than the old ones...it "mostly" hassle free.....using an extension as a punch may make it hard to find someone at sears that will exchange it but not impossible
Old 01-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #5378
cam14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
[QUOTE=bobbed06;17698721]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist of Fun View Post
Oh, I heard you can take Craftsman tools to Sears and redeem warranty, getting you brand new tools.... I wonder how true and hassle-free that really is....
I will NEVER by any products from Sears again. Three times in a row I came in for warrenty work, two Crafman tools and one DieHard batter and the store manager refused to honer my warranty. The battery was the last straw for me, I had my (at the tme) 4 year old son with me, the battery was a little over 3 years old with a 5 year warranty and the jack ass of a manager refused any warrenty without the orginal receipt even though I was in their database and accused me of stealing or picking up a battery at a salvage yard just ot get a new one. YMMV but I'm never going back.
cam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #5379
georgej
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer View Post
I might have a '85 User's Manual. I'll look. sometimes they come up on ebay.
if you want a "hard copy"...they do pop up on ebay now and then..as well as swap meets

Thanks,I see one for an'87 on ebay now.I searched through about 20 pages of a google search and found one for sale on amazon.I think it might be a reprint of an original though.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #5380
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=cam14;17699268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post

I will NEVER by any products from Sears again. Three times in a row I came in for warrenty work, two Crafman tools and one DieHard batter and the store manager refused to honer my warranty. The battery was the last straw for me, I had my (at the tme) 4 year old son with me, the battery was a little over 3 years old with a 5 year warranty and the jack ass of a manager refused any warrenty without the orginal receipt even though I was in their database and accused me of stealing or picking up a battery at a salvage yard just ot get a new one. YMMV but I'm never going back.
batterys and powertools dont count LOL..they are not worth the trouble..and ALL of there power tools are rebadged CRAP ...there hand tools on the otehr hand you cant really beat them...ever try getting ahold of a snapon guy when your not working at a shop that is serviced by one??? good luck....even calling snapon directly will get you NOWHERE..they pretty well tell you to go f yourself.......mac is just as bad

so unless you live somewhere that is not near a sears...there really is no better choice in hand tools....when it comes to power tools well...you get what you pay for
Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #5381
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 705
[QUOTE=sh0rtlife;17699627]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam14 View Post
...ever try getting ahold of a snapon guy when your not working at a shop that is serviced by one???
Ever try getting a Snap-On tool replaced even at a shop that is serviced? My experience with more than a handful of Snap-On dealers is that unless someone is head over heals in debt with them, they won't even replace a screw driver without a hassle. Great tools, worse than dirt poor warranty service. I could wright a book about my bad experiences with them honoring warranty. I'll go to Sears and buy two Craftsman tools for the price of one Snap-On so I have a backup if one breaks and time to get the broken one replaced.

You couldn't be more right about the difference between Craftsman hand and power tools. Craftsman power tools are not very good for the price. To back your rebadged claim, I worked at an outdoor tool factory producing, among other things, gas powered chainsaws. During a line change from a Polan brand saw to a Craftsman, the only thing that changed was the color of the plastic and decals, all internals were the same. We made several brands including Husqvarna and Jonesred, which were not just rebadged.

I can't say enough good about Sears warranty on their hand tools, I have even walked in and not said more than a hello and got tools replaced. Top notch warranty service.

Having worked and gone to school for two years for auto service, I know that daily used tools break, regardless of quality, how well warranty is honored is a huge deal. Since I am rambling about tools and warranty, NAPA has shocked me before on their tool warranty. I took a broken and superseded 1/2" drive torque wrench in to a NAPA (their tool) for another mechanic and they didn't even so much as look it over and said they would have another one in the morning and holy shit if they didn't. Snap-On would have sent it off to be rebuilt and would have taken who knows how long to get it back if they would have honored the warranty at all. If that was the only 1/2" torque wrench the mechanic had, it is very important to have it replaced right away.

Yep, hand tools, they get me fired up.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #5382
kennythetiger
Kennythetiger

Oddometer: 51
In the middle of a rebuild

I picked up and 84 XL600 over the summer. It ran OK, but smoked quite a bit, so I'm doing my first top end and valve job. This forum has been very helpful in diagnosing the issues with the bike. I've put in a ricky stator, and replaced both the AC and DC regulators. Interesting setup and can be run without a battery. After 24k miles the cylinder still looks good and the stock rings were barely worn. I sandblasted and painted the swingarm today. Not sure where it's going, but I'm having a lot of fun with the project. I will put up pics As it starts to come together.
Attached Images

kennythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #5383
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennythetiger View Post
I picked up and 84 XL600 over the summer. It ran OK, but smoked quite a bit, so I'm doing my first top end and valve job. This forum has been very helpful in diagnosing the issues with the bike. I've put in a ricky stator, and replaced both the AC and DC regulators. Interesting setup and can be run without a battery. After 24k miles the cylinder still looks good and the stock rings were barely worn. I sandblasted and painted the swingarm today. Not sure where it's going, but I'm having a lot of fun with the project. I will put up pics As it starts to come together.
Congratulations. I am curious where you got AC and DC regulators if they are new. Running without a battery can damage other electrical components in the DC system, but in the case of problems, it is nice to have the option. The XL is very reliable in the electronics department having the ignition, headlight and DC systems all separate.

These bikes are really something special. When I found one I wanted, I drove a 12 hour round trip to get mine and have not been disappointed. I have tried to keep mine as stock as reasonably possible as to enjoy the vintage. A couple summers ago I tore mine down to the frame, blasted the frame and repainted it and while the engine was out I fixed some oil leaks and replaced some cam drive components (original reason I had the engine out). Last September I hit a car http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=T-Bone with it and wiped out the entire front end. The forks, trees, axle, wheel, speedo drive, bars, basically everything on the front was destroyed, so I am going at it again, that is how much I like the bike. I start is up just to think about when I get it back on the road. I am looking forward to your pics of progress.

My only suggestion is that you get carburetor parts (gaskets, floats, needles, etc.) while they are still available. The dual carbs are as close to F.I. as it gets when they are dialed in, but everything has to be in good working order and as you may find out, they were put in with magic and that is about what it takes to get them back out, so you don't want to make a habit of it.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #5384
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
Congratulations. I am curious where you got AC and DC regulators if they are new. Running without a battery can damage other electrical components in the DC system, but in the case of problems, it is nice to have the option. The XL is very reliable in the electronics department having the ignition, headlight and DC systems all separate.
best bet for "new" parts is exactly what i did..trail tech "generic" units without plug ends on them..wire em in like you would stock units and problem solved for less than HALF that of what the stuff will run you used on ebay........as a bonus you can dial adjust the voltage

now as for paint...if your useing anything but automotive paint or powder coat it likely wont last you long sadly....toughest paint ive found has been certain engine paints as far as a rattle can goes...only thing tougher in a can is tractor paint and harveester red is oh soo close
Old 01-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #5385
Scientist of Fun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Quote:
=georgej;17696160]Thanks Scientist,I've seen this page and thought it was a shop manual.As I clicked on some on the links,lseems like it is an owners manual to me.
Not sure what you want.. You wanted the Owners manual or shop manual??

It's the Shop Manual: http://www.hondaxl.it/manuali.htm

Starts off at part 1, then goes all the way to part 20 of the pdf. Make sure you choose the one in "Inglese" (Unless you can read "Italiano"...)

http://www.hondaxl.it/download/Manua...da/part_01.pdf
---------------------------------------------
http://www.hondaxl.it/download/Manua...da/part_20.pdf

Perhaps you need some more direction with extensive detail like I do, but this is the shop manual... You can always get a Haynes one, though it's been difficult for me to find a good copy for "reference" (free).

So you are looking for the 84' Owners Manual? Hmm. I have an 86 original owners manual. An extra amount of bling-- Thought it was so cool that the previous owner of my bike had it in great condition!! It adds to the vintage character of my bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Its hassle free but only on things like non power hand tools. No problem swaps, no questions asked. I made a living with Craftsman tools for over 10 years and still use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam14 View Post
The manager should have honored your warranty claim... What a dick. Craftsman does not require you keep receipts.. Imagine having to keep track of receipts for a LIFETIME? Ouch. I would have complained, bitched and moaned. If I had the time, of course...
I'm wondering if I should invest in some power tools.. Air tools, rock! But, what brand!? And what retailer?? So many choices..... HMMM

Scientist of Fun screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 07:00 AM Reason: Specifying on post :)
Scientist of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote