Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #5461
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Oh, they kick back pretty hard.
I have heard stories about people getting the kick starter poked through their shoe into the bottom of their foot.
Really?

I have never run across this. On the rare occasion, it might push back about as hard as I kicked, but nothing more.

Maybe I am just lucky.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #5462
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
I've been luck too. I always made sure I had something stronger than tennis shoes on when kicking it, though. The hardest it ever kicked back on caused my knee to hit my chest, and took a chunk of rubber off the bottom of my High Tec hiking boot.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #5463
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
I got kicked the one time I gave my (then new-to-me) XR some throttle when trying to start it. One time. Luck isn't involved; it's technique. Now I can kick mine in flip-flops without fear....maybe even barefoot.

XLs have a shorter kickstarter, though, so I don't think I would try that barefoot....
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #5464
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
Luck isn't involved; it's technique. Now I can kick mine in flip-flops without fear....maybe even barefoot.

XLs have a shorter kickstarter, though, so I don't think I would try that barefoot....
ive done mine barefoot a few times..but also hand started it from the shifter side of the bike....and your right its entirely about technique ..but more so about knowing and feeling the bike...... finding tdc and pushing a lil past...and so long as your auto decomp is right..shes a baby to start....its a rare thing to have to poke mine more than once to start regardless of how long shes sat or how hot its been

when i first got the bike i got kicked HARD 3 times..after that i figured out its own personal quirks..like NEVER touching the throttle...if you want to pull the throttle be prepared to have your foot in orbit!

sh0rtlife screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 06:18 PM
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #5465
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist of Fun View Post
Yea, I've noticed if I give it just about a quarter choke at temps 60+, that does it.
I have another question regarding the overall power that a 1986 XL600R is supposed to put out. I heard people doing power wheelies in first, second gear with ease and nothing but throttle. Mine doesn't seem to do that at all. Not even in first gear... It's possible I dont actually pull full throttle, but i'm more than sure I do. What do you think is going on with my bike? Maybe i'm naturally distributing my weight too forward in anticipation of the wheel going up, but isn't it supposed to come up anyway? Should I have to lean back a smidge? How does yours run?
Mine doesn't do power wheelies either, neither did the other XL600 I rode. I think a lot of it has to do with gearing. I don't think stock gearing is going to put the front end up that easily, at least not with a 200lb guy on it.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #5466
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

im just shy of 200lbs myself at 6'4 ...my gearing "was" 13 41 now its 15 41..i lost the "sky high" be carefull or your going over and replaced it with hey were hovering the wheel in comfort not crazyness...and thats with me nut hugging the tank
Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #5467
Iain S
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb
I have heard stories about people getting the kick starter poked through their shoe into the bottom of their foot.

Really?

It`s all in the technique I guess. I start my XL in thongs/flip flops all Summer:-)
Old 01-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #5468
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain S View Post
Quote:
Really?

It`s all in the technique I guess. I start my XL in thongs/flip flops all Summer:-)
It was probably heard on the interenet so it HAD to have happened
1Bonehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #5469
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain S View Post
Quote:

Really?

I ruined a pair of shoes kicking the XL600 when it had a bad CDI. The lever did actually poke through the bottom of my shoe.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #5470
Scientist of Fun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
There's one thing I haven't had problems with.. My pig kickin me into oblivion. I really do think it's all about the technique and like everyone else says: Finding TDC then kicking past an inch or so. I for one always have my knee slightly bent and try not to extend it completely when I kick, so if it does kick me back I won't go flying. I 'm 5'10" and weigh 160 lbs. One thing I can remember when I first got my bike is sweating balls and a sore sole. She never kicked back though. I'm guessing that was the auto decomp working like it was supposed to. I recently removed the auto decomp entirely from my bike. She fires up so much easier without it, but I wouldn't allow anyone inexperienced to attempt to turn her over without completely explaining and demonstrating the technique, first. Unless it was my brother-in-law haha jk
Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #5471
Manuel213
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Need Help with 84 XL600R

Not sure where to post this... but just inherited an 84 Honda XL600R that doesn't start. Was told by a motorcycle mechanic that motor was stuck and not worth the trouble. Wanted to turn this into a learning experience and was hoping that someone would like the challenge of helping me through this

Manuel213 screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 07:52 PM Reason: Image
Manuel213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #5472
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel213 View Post
Not sure where to post this... but just inherited an 84 Honda XL600R that doesn't start. Was told by a motorcycle mechanic that motor was stuck and not worth the trouble. Wanted to turn this into a learning experience and was hoping that someone would like the challenge of helping me through this
sounds like fun.....
first thing i can sugjest is check the oile..ie pull the drain plug and see if any actual oil comes out..if none..worry a lil but not alot..if water comes out...well..worry alot....next pull the spark plug and GENTLY try and push the kick start over and see if she is actualy stuck...if it wont...put it in gear and rock it back and forthe somewhat gently ...she might break free...if this all fails pour in some CAR automatic transmission fluid..the cheepest stuff you can into the spark plug hole(this is all going by what id normaly do on micro car engines as well as big v8s even diesels)...let it sit for a week..come back and try getting her to crank over via tire or kick start..if still nothing..rip the engine out and tear her down..more than likely the slug is stuck in the jug...now mind you i just had an old 1950s 2cyl 4stroke that was stuck..ive got an ODD combination that will eventualy free the slug in a SAVEABLE form...pull the head and hose the cracks with croil..next add a bit of diesel as well as some trans fluid..let soak....if your impatiant heat the jug wth a torch on low ..yes you will light the stuff on the top on fire...thats not a big deal and the heat HELPS force the fluids past the rings breaking it free...and you may have to do this over sseveral days....tho idealy your trying to heat only the jug and not the slug....some whacks to the slug with a rubber mallet wont hurt none and will help too...eventualy it will break free...i SAVED even the rings on an the 2cyl that was frozen solid....as there was zero damage to anything..it was simply stuck from a bit of rust in the top of the bore but nothing a good scuff with the hone didnt clean up....its the nature of an engine..it doesnt take much in the jug to get a slug stuck

now if its rolling over just fine its a whol nother can of worms looking for electrical gremlins which can be quite fun

just send it my way ill give it a good home...so i can part with my xl500
Old 02-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #5473
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
sounds like fun.....
first thing i can sugjest is check the oile..ie pull the drain plug and see if any actual oil comes out..if none..worry a lil but not alot..if water comes out...well..worry alot....next pull the spark plug and GENTLY try and push the kick start over and see if she is actualy stuck...if it wont...put it in gear and rock it back and forthe somewhat gently ...she might break free...if this all fails pour in some CAR automatic transmission fluid..the cheepest stuff you can into the spark plug hole(this is all going by what id normaly do on micro car engines as well as big v8s even diesels)...let it sit for a week..come back and try getting her to crank over via tire or kick start..if still nothing..rip the engine out and tear her down..more than likely the slug is stuck in the jug...now mind you i just had an old 1950s 2cyl 4stroke that was stuck..ive got an ODD combination that will eventualy free the slug in a SAVEABLE form...pull the head and hose the cracks with croil..next add a bit of diesel as well as some trans fluid..let soak....if your impatiant heat the jug wth a torch on low ..yes you will light the stuff on the top on fire...thats not a big deal and the heat HELPS force the fluids past the rings breaking it free...and you may have to do this over sseveral days....tho idealy your trying to heat only the jug and not the slug....some whacks to the slug with a rubber mallet wont hurt none and will help too...eventualy it will break free...i SAVED even the rings on an the 2cyl that was frozen solid....as there was zero damage to anything..it was simply stuck from a bit of rust in the top of the bore but nothing a good scuff with the hone didnt clean up....its the nature of an engine..it doesnt take much in the jug to get a slug stuck

now if its rolling over just fine its a whol nother can of worms looking for electrical gremlins which can be quite fun

just send it my way ill give it a good home...so i can part with my xl500
HHmmm, some very interesting info in that, might come in handy one day...
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #5474
gravelchewer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
85 xl600r paris-dakar

My Xl600r engine pulled out ready for rebuild hopefully painting frame this weekend
gravelchewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #5475
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
Quote:
Originally posted by sh0rtlife
sounds like fun.....

Good advice.

If the motor turns out to be toast, you could always swap in something else. I always thought it would be cool to squeeze in a Honda GL500 sideways v-twin. Not your cup of tea? How about an e-start XL650 motor?

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote