Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #5536
smile431
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I have a xl600 that I am thinking about selling due to lack of time to work on it. Since I bought it I have been working 7 days a week if anyone is interested let me know.. parting out is a possibility but it does have a clean title. For pics check out project deep doodoo thread.
smile431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #5537
Watcher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Watcher,

As far as finding an OE XL600 cam goes your up the creek without a paddle. I just checked E-Bay England and Germany. No cams there either. Your only option is a Mega Cycle regrind/repair.

BTW...They will not warranty the cam unless you do the rockers also. By the time all is said and done it's $500.00 for the cam and rockers. BTDT

Steve, thanks for checking those overseas sites, that's something I never thought of. I will keep looking for a few days but if nothing comes up I will go with Mega Cycle. I didn't know there was a warranty either. They did say I could use the OEM rockers but recommended a high zinc content oil like Red Line if I was going to do that.
All the above is for the 86. When I put the 83 back together I replaced one rocker with an NOS one and the cam had one lobe that was just at the lowest end of the spec. It makes me really interested in that idea of replacing the rocker cover with one off an XR600 and then going with a post 1988 XR cam to put on the 83. With this possibility in mind I did some checking on E-bay today, the cost of the Rocker cover with rockers plus a cam would still only be half the cost of a regrinding the original cam and rockers in the 83 XL. Plus any additional cams or rockers, if they were ever needed, would be of the easy to find post 88 variety.

This was the first time I come across that particular idea so I am hoping for some feedback about potential problems going that route. Things like, are the cam profiles the same, do you need different rockers then either the XL or XR, and will the rocker cover bolt to the same frame brackets or would I have to fabricate new ones? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #5538
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tulip View Post
Trying to remove the kickstarter decompressor lever to replace the seal.

Here is the inside of the kickstarter decompressor lever, do I have to remove that pin?
My Haynes manual says the pin has to be removed, it says it should just pull out.
HTH
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #5539
the_tulip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
My Haynes manual says the pin has to be removed, it says it should just pull out.
HTH
The factory manual says to do that for the manual decompressor lever, and that one came out just fine. For the kickstarter decompressor lever, the manual says to disconnect the spring and remove the kickstarter valve lifter lever, but it doesn't seem to be that easy.
the_tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #5540
jscott0419
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Pissed No spark

I need help diagnosing the issues i am having with my xl600r...the bike would not start, had spark, some of the resitance specifications were off (not by much), but after reading, and reading and reading i replaced the stator. After the stator, NO SPARK? Now i am very confused as to why i had spark before, now i do not? I guess the only 2 items left would be CDI/Igtion coil? I really dont want to replace these 2 again....does anyone have any other suggestions, testing methods etc to help?
jscott0419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #5541
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
the ignition pickup coil is probably the cause
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #5542
Watcher
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott0419 View Post
I need help diagnosing the issues i am having with my xl600r...the bike would not start, had spark, some of the resitance specifications were off (not by much), but after reading, and reading and reading i replaced the stator. After the stator, NO SPARK? Now i am very confused as to why i had spark before, now i do not? I guess the only 2 items left would be CDI/Igtion coil? I really dont want to replace these 2 again....does anyone have any other suggestions, testing methods etc to help?

If you are getting voltage off the black and red wire (coming from the stator) and the resistance tests on the stator, pulse coil, and ignition coil all check out, then before you buy a new cdi I would start checking for corrosion issues. Besides checking the wire terminals and wire continuity check the spark plug boot on the end of the ignition coil. I guess some folks remove the resistor. I left it in place but cleaned all the contact points including both ends of the little spring, (that part was important). The other area I would check is for a contact to ground of the black and white wire that comes from the cdi. This is the kill wire, whenever you turn the key or kill switch to off it provides a path to ground for circuitry inside the cdi, if you have corrosion in either the key switch or kill switch it can ( and did ) form that bridge to ground... In my case corrosion built up across the the soldered connection points in the kill switch. Both of these things, the spark plug boot and the B/W wire to ground have both caused intermittent and no spark conditions; robust weak and no spark conditions from one kick to the next.

An easy way to check for ignition corrosion would be to disconnect the two black and white wires from behind the head light, this is where they come together to form one wire that goes to the cdi. With the wires disconnected check for spark, you might also check to see if the wire is frayed and touching ground anywhere along its length.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #5543
Edouard_Bracame
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I can't post pictures anymore is there a reason for this?

I wanted to post a picture of my new fuel tank for my 600 XLM...
Edouard_Bracame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #5544
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard_Bracame View Post

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #5545
Watcher
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard_Bracame View Post

Apparently picture attachments have been disabled as of 2 Feb 2012. It's now necessary to link to an external account such as SmugMug. There is an announcement at the top of the Thumpers page.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #5546
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
Steve, thanks for checking those overseas sites, that's something I never thought of. I will keep looking for a few days but if nothing comes up I will go with Mega Cycle. I didn't know there was a warranty either. They did say I could use the OEM rockers but recommended a high zinc content oil like Red Line if I was going to do that.
All the above is for the 86. When I put the 83 back together I replaced one rocker with an NOS one and the cam had one lobe that was just at the lowest end of the spec. It makes me really interested in that idea of replacing the rocker cover with one off an XR600 and then going with a post 1988 XR cam to put on the 83. With this possibility in mind I did some checking on E-bay today, the cost of the Rocker cover with rockers plus a cam would still only be half the cost of a regrinding the original cam and rockers in the 83 XL. Plus any additional cams or rockers, if they were ever needed, would be of the easy to find post 88 variety.

This was the first time I come across that particular idea so I am hoping for some feedback about potential problems going that route. Things like, are the cam profiles the same, do you need different rockers then either the XL or XR, and will the rocker cover bolt to the same frame brackets or would I have to fabricate new ones? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
check out david silvers in england.loadsa honda stuff and he had xl 600 cams before christmas.goodluck.
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #5547
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
If the Adapter is well made then its most of the Time the new Engine or the Carbs are not correct ajust that make the power worse .
Air flow over two seperate Intake Ports is different to the Airflow over 1 Split type Port .
Carbs need to ajust for that .
very correct.i can confirm this because i know of a guy in england that races in the twinshock mx.he uses an adapter with great resualts.
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #5548
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 573
Talking

I have been looking around for replacement plastics for my XL for a while now, this is what I have
managed to pick up so far.

All are NIB.

All are genuine Honda.

1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #5549
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
I have been looking around for replacement plastics for my XL for a while now, this is what I have
managed to pick up so far.

All are NIB.

All are genuine Honda.[click to show pic]

Very nice.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #5550
Edouard_Bracame
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
camshaft

Just got the information today that cmsnl.com got camshaft available again in their stock.
Edouard_Bracame is offline   Reply With Quote