Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #6451
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 334
Hi

The XL had 39 or 41 mm forks .
No XL , R or RM , European or US had 43 mm forks .

If you want to upgrade the Forks and keep the Ignition Lock you need the Fork yoke set
from the new CRF250L and the USD Fork from the XR 400.
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #6452
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
XL/XR600 Camshaft centre bearing question???

Hi all, Im well into the rebuild of my 1987 XL600RMG, and have a question. Bear in mind that this bike has the engine out of an XR600, not the XL600, despite the model name. The camshaft center bearing journal is stuffed. Both bearing surfaces in the head and valve cover are chewed out as well as damage to the camshaft bearing surface.
Now, I've found a used head and valve cover with undamaged bearing surfaces but am having less luck finding an undamaged camshaft from this bike, or a 1985-87 XR600 cam will fit.

Now my question??? I've read and been told by a couple of people that the center bearing on the camshaft isn't really necessary, and the camshaft will run just fine supported by the ball bearings at each end only. I was also told to grind a couple of mm of the damaged bearing surface away so the camshaft makes no contact with the center bearing surface and all will be fine.

So, has anybody done this?? Did it work?

Very interested to hear other XL/XR600 owners experiences or fixes for this problem.

Thanks

Homer
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #6453
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Hi

The XL had 39 or 41 mm forks .
No XL , R or RM , European or US had 43 mm forks .

If you want to upgrade the Forks and keep the Ignition Lock you need the Fork yoke set
from the new CRF250L and the USD Fork from the XR 400.
Thanks for dropping that knowledge. I'm not looking to go all out with USD fork swaps and the like, too much messing around with headlight mounting, etc. I'm no racer so I was just looking for a simple bolt in swap then I can use my stock wheel and the supermoto brake rotor kit I just got. I have a set of dampening rod 43mm XR600R forks with the XR650L yolks, but the 650L upper yolk do not have the little round mount holes off the front for the headlight assembly, I thought if another XL model ran those sized forks I could get the upper yolk of of one of those. I'll either have to weld those mounts to the XRL yolk or just get the euro 41mm yolks and update to a cartridge style XR250R fork.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #6454
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
Still wish I had a luggage rack
Don't cry my friend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-XL600-...fa1014&vxp=mtr

I think this is the same rack that came with my bike. Pretty decent piece and it's quite big. The powder coat job on it was nice but the mounting hardware is kinda bootleg.

I'd sell you mine if I ever found an OEM rack for sale.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #6455
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
Thanks Carter I saw those and wondered how they were. it's on the list, just closer to the bottom

those do look pretty nice, please keep me in mind
It's built like a brick shithouse man, certainly more beefcake then I'll ever need. I keep my cortech sport tail bag on it but the most I carry is a gallon or two of milk and some books.

I'd trust the thing to go Thailand style and carry one of neighborhood kids around on it.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #6456
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I posted on here a few days ago asking about whether the stator runs in oil. Thanks for the good responses, especially the explanation of the role of the stator.

So... what started off as: "get this thing running so I can maybe sell it and try to purchase a KTM Adventure" has now turned into "turn this XL600R into an awesome adventure bike".

Luckily I am an accomplished welder / fabricator / machinist. This is going to be a super-fun project.

With the engine out, I decided to sandblast it and paint it. Of course I didn't think of taking a picture of the engine until the paint-job was already underway....

In the following picture you can see the frame, which has been partially sandblasted, and the engine fully painted, as well as piles of other parts. The engine will look better as soon as I pull the masking off the various covers, etc.

And here you can see my replacement for the rear frame cross-brace / seat mount.

The brace is not welded on in this picture yet, but it is actually welded on at this time. I will get a picture soon. I also reinforced the sub-frame, after reading a bit in this thread about how that can be important if you want to carry bags (which I do). I could not find pictures anywhere of other people's subframe reinforcing, so I made it up. I will get a picture of that soon, too. I also added mounts for passenger footpegs and pannier racks.

I do not particularly like any of the pannier setups I have seen so far, so I am going to do my own. I will use Pelican cases, and have a quick-detach system using escutcheon pins (spring pins) which will attach/detach the cases from a stainless steel tubing rack system. I will make the rack a simple inverted "L" shape, much like BMW's pannier racks. I think that is much slicker looking than a big chunky rectangular rack.

Next up I am going to look into welding on some pivot "ears" at the bottom of the frame which will allow me to fabricate and install a center stand at a later date. Now is the time to work on the frame, after all. Oh, and also a mount for an oil cooler.

At some point I would like to do a dual headlight setup, like on the euro-XLs. I think that looks awesome. If anyone knows how to get ahold of the dual-headlight cowl / fairing (anyone got one for sale) that would be awesome. Otherwise I will end up fabricating one from aluminum sheet.

Oh, also I am looking for a rear fender assembly, preferably in white...

Christian
www.christianristow.com
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #6457
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 1,485
Brake light went out and it wasn't the bulb

RIDE RED!
WTB: Honda XR650L bottom end
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #6458
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 392
Keep the engine red, it is the natural colour!

Pete, if you get really stuck I have the set I took of mine (I hate them and always take them off) but shipping would be a killer
Old 12-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #6459
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Keep the engine red, it is the natural colour!
I guess you're advising me, Bill. Too late, it's black already. It's funny, when I was in my 20's, with my first XL600R, I thought the red/white/blue color scheme with the red engine was the coolest thing in the world! But now, for some reason, it doesn't do it for me.

Red and blue together particularly don't suit me. Blue and orange on the other hand....

On that note, here is a quick and dirty photoshop hack of the color scheme I think I'm gonna go for. I'll probably sport for a Clarke tank in Orange at some point. If I get cheap (broke) I will paint the stock tank.

I'm gonna have to get all that gold anodizing off the forks, swingarm, and rims. Gold... yuck. I might leave all that stuff bare-metal (clear coat the swingarm), or... ? Not sure yet.
www.christianristow.com
Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #6460
TrevorR
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobox View Post
On that note, here is a quick and dirty photoshop hack of the color scheme I think I'm gonna go for.
Looks great Christian. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress and let me know when I can come out for a ride

TrevorR screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 05:45 PM
TrevorR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #6461
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Christian, looking forward to seeing your finished product.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #6462
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikhd View Post
Thought I would try to show off my recently restored 1987 XL600R.

Have over 200 miles on it and absolutely love it! Looking for a rear rack if anyone has one.

Hot damn that is a beautiful bike! It looks like thats a plastic tank on it. Wherd you get it?

You did a really freaking good job on that bike!
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #6463
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Here you can see the frame-brace / seat mount thing welded into place. That particular frame component in stock form just seemed really under-engineered to me, and probably not able to prevent much flex in those rear frame spurs. Lots of cracking near the welds sorta supported that hypothesis. That's the only reason I replaced it.

Also visible here is the sub-frame reinforcing I did last night. I was able to tie the triangulation elements into various pre-existing frame elements, such as those threaded-nut-ears that drop down from the main frame about 4 inches forward of the rear-most holes. I am not even sure what those nuts are for, other than a rear rack (which I may well use them for at a later date.) I think this reinforcing will really increase the amount of weight I can hang off those rear-most holes.

You can also see the flanges that I added lower down on the rear, angled tube of the sub-frame. These each have three holes with nuts welded behind them, so three places to attach stuff. Probably used in the future for frame-mount rear pegs and the forward mounting point for pannier racks.

Does anyone on here have an XL600 with a center-stand? If so, any chance of snapping a picture of the mounting points and spring configuration?

And lastly, that blue and orange color scheme looked really perfect in my mind. But as I look at my photoshop mockup, I am not quite so sure of it anymore. Gotta keep thinking about it.
www.christianristow.com
Old 12-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #6464
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobox View Post
Gold... yuck.

Wut you say? Gold is the very reason that the 86 models are the best looking XL6's. I suggest you leave that color right were it is.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #6465
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 392
Gold?? Superb, my 84/85 XL6 has gold rims,gold forks,gold swingarm all as standard. Also the rims are tubeless which is very useful.