Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #6571
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 122
QUOTE=Schrauberklaus;20247845]just see your Oil questions . There was a threat about Oil and the Problems of no Oil here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552341

How do you check the Oil level ? Do you know how the Oil circulation Work ?
Are all your Oil Filters clean , there are 3 in this Bike

The mechanical Rev Counter or speedometer was Standart on European XL / R .
Try E-Bay Germany[/QUOTE]

Hi, Thanks for the link, vast amount of input there!! To answer your query,am more up on the oil system now and yes i cleaned the strainer and replaced the paper filter but was not aware of the third one inside. Check oil bike upright unscrew dipstick,wipe, drop back in, re check. Last check after i had it running 3-4days ago level was 2/3 up stick. Checked it 5mins ago and it has 20mm on the bottom so i'm still a bit concerned i may have some leakage some where.
Wayne
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #6572
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
I'm actually going to be taking my seat cover off when Ibuy a new one or have my grandma make a new cover for me. I can send you my old seat cover if I do it soon enough for ya, it's got a big whole in the middle, but the main shapes should be good. latest I could get a new one is in two weeks, I can UPS my trashed cover if you want.

Back to my issue on hand, I see fork seals and dust seals online, how do I know which ones are bad and need replacing??
I would like to have that old cover from you. PM me. i can send that plastic bracket/wire-and-oil-line holder thing you need as trade. Let me make you cover for cheap. It will have heavy duty thread used in its construction.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #6573
Indenturedx5

Oddometer: 352
Hi, Thanks for the link, vast amount of input there!! To answer your query,am more up on the oil system now and yes i cleaned the strainer and replaced the paper filter but was not aware of the third one inside

Where is this strainer at? I know there is one in the clutch side engine case, but never new about third one?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #6574
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Has anyone tried to replace the glass mirror pieces in the stock mirror housings?

After loading the bike in the back of my pickup, apparently not strapping it down tight enough, I shattered both mirrors while pulling into the garage
You can't do it. The mirrors are only sold as an assembly.

I just sold the set of folding aftermarket mirrors I was using too. You should have broke those a week ago.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #6575
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
QUOTE=Schrauberklaus;20247845]just see your Oil questions . There was a threat about Oil and the Problems of no Oil here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552341

How do you check the Oil level ? Do you know how the Oil circulation Work ?
Are all your Oil Filters clean , there are 3 in this Bike

The mechanical Rev Counter or speedometer was Standart on European XL / R .
Try E-Bay Germany
Hi, Thanks for the link, vast amount of input there!! To answer your query,am more up on the oil system now and yes i cleaned the strainer and replaced the paper filter but was not aware of the third one inside. Check oil bike upright unscrew dipstick,wipe, drop back in, re check. Last check after i had it running 3-4days ago level was 2/3 up stick. Checked it 5mins ago and it has 20mm on the bottom so i'm still a bit concerned i may have some leakage some where.
Wayne[/QUOTE]

Engine must be on normal operation Temp. and running upright the last few minutes befor you check the oil level .
Check always the same delay time (1-3 Min)after you kill the engine .
Running the Engine on the side stand give wrong readings .
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #6576
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Has anyone tried to replace the glass mirror pieces in the stock mirror housings?

After loading the bike in the back of my pickup, apparently not strapping it down tight enough, I shattered both mirrors while pulling into the garage

I have had a glass shop cut a mirror and glue it on for $7.00 a couple years ago. They just stuck it over the broken one. They said they could have removed and completely replaced it also.
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #6577
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I got new aftermarket mirrors that were an exact replica for $15 here in Oz, have a look around they are pretty cheap on Ebay too.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #6578
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

All wrapped up

And off to see the wizard

Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #6579
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,105
What the hell ya sending him the rocker cover for??

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #6580
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
What the hell ya sending him the rocker cover for??
He's going to bead blast it, check over the rockers, and replace the copper washers that go on the shafts. That way it comes back nice and crispy, looked over by a professional eye, and I can just hit it with paint.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #6581
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Don't know about tachs. Ours don't come with them.

Who has time to look at a tach??

Rev the piss out of it and shift.
When I do the above I feel like I am going to float a valve. Can you rev the piss out of these motors?

bdcorrigan screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 10:01 AM Reason: add more
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #6582
djacksonrn
n00b

Oddometer: 1
XR600R to XR650L electrical

OK, here's what I've got: Running 1995 XR600R (kick only), 1995 XR650R frame and electrical components. Goal: make a street legal bike with the XR650L frame, XR600R engine and all XR650L electrical, minus battery. Engine seems to not be much of an issue, other than some basic maintenance (rebuild carb) it runs fine. This bike will be run 98% of the time in the street with a SM setup. Not looking to keep a large battery on board or add the giant left rear compartment with all the electrical connections, would prefer to keep the wiring harness as small as possible. 3 wire pigtail coming from XR600R stator has three colors- Yellow/white, red/black, and green. Have looked at the BD kit, which seems as small and tight as possible, but wanted to get some feedback from those that have gone before me with respect to how to best proceed, and see if I needed to pony up the 4 bills for the BD, or could make a frankenharness out of what I have. Competent at marine wiring/electrical, never tried my hand at rewiring a motorcycle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
djacksonrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #6583
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
you will need to have some sort of battery onboard to run XR650L wiring harness. It requires one to start. XL600 harness can be run with battery eliminator, or you could run XR600 harness with Dualsport kit attached.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #6584
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12120 View Post
Hi, Thanks for the link, vast amount of input there!! To answer your query,am more up on the oil system now and yes i cleaned the strainer and replaced the paper filter but was not aware of the third one inside

Where is this strainer at? I know there is one in the clutch side engine case, but never new about third one?
Hi Remove the ali bash pan and the strainer is in the bottom of the down tube which has the oil line to the pump attached. Drain the oil and disconnect the flexible oil line and unscew the remaining piece from the frame. Strainer attached!!
m2h
Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #6585
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Wayne
Engine must be on normal operation Temp. and running upright the last few minutes befor you check the oil level .
Check always the same delay time (1-3 Min)after you kill the engine .
Running the Engine on the side stand give wrong readings .[/QUOTE]

Thanks Klaus will try that again. Am still having some difficulty starting the beast. Once running it purrs nicely.
Tried the techniques described here for this bike and maybe I am not quite doing it right. Will keep at it while my leg holds out!