Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #661
crag antler
In the woods lurking

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt
Sure you're not a KLR rider??

Dave
Hey Dave, I resemble that remark. I do have a Kaw in my garage but it's a Connie.
The KLR never really did it for me so when I had the oppurtunity to buy another bike, the XL was first. Well maybe after looking for some ole DT's, and never finding any. But here I am.
2000 Kawasaki Concours
1976 Yamaha DT400
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #662
crag antler
In the woods lurking

Oddometer: 489
What XR600 parts fit??

I was wondering if anybody had an idea of which XR600 parts will fit our XL600's??
Not trying to make the XL into something it's not just thought the XR parts would be stronger.
Like maybe skid bars,side pannier racks,front sprocket cover????
2000 Kawasaki Concours
1976 Yamaha DT400
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #663
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,273
Well, I really have no clue as far as absolute answers, but I looked at a '09 XR650 and I have to say, the frame / sub-frame looked almost identical to my XL. I have to think that racks and such would fit with little to no modification.
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #664
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupman
Thanks! the blue tank came from a 1970 Honda CB175 it's really cool and I am thinking about building an old cafe racer from an another XL600R using that exact tank.
Thanks. I thought it looked pretty cool.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #665
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
JoMomma threads.
haha thanks man, infact i think thats worthy of going in my new sigline. been looking for a new one for a while.

how are you feeling about your new (to you) xl now?
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #666
Waldo308
Grouchy Olde Pharte

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by crag antler
Got to get tires first though to pass inspection.
Any ideas on 50/50 tires for our old beasts ??
We have Cheng Shin 858's on ours. They are the same basic pattern as the tires that came on the bike originally. Similar tires are the Kenda K270 or the IRC GP1.

The Cheng Shin's are the least expensive (about $30 for a front and $45 for a rear). Some say the compound is too hard and they get inferior traction. Neither I nor my son have found that to be the case, however, neither of us push the bike hard on the street. They do seem to be holding up well and have worked acceptably even in deep sand.

The GP1's are supposed to be "stickier" on pavement but do not hold up as long.

It depends upon how hard you ride, how much you want to spend and what kind of riding you want to do.

Being a cheap olde pharte, I like the Cheng Shins!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #667
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Hate to do this but does anyone happen to have:

1 rear peg (the ones that mount on the swingarm)
1 rear turn signal
The clamp for a front turn signal?

Yeah I know they're all on Ebay but if anyone on here has some gathering dust in a parts box I'd rather send you some cash than some butcher parting out bikes on ebay.

The peg has been damaged since before I got the XL, the rear signal got wiped off on a tree (still works but is being held on with electrical tape) and I've just lost the clamp for the front signal.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #668
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
The rear pegs are specific to L/R, so we need to know which one you need. I am also missing one, the right side.

I can hook you up with a rear turn signal, they're the long ones, I've got a pair but am going to use one. I've modified my old broken ones to have no rubber flexible part, so if you want to flat-out trade me your one with broken rubber for the new one, that's cool. I might even just trade you a pair for a pair. The condition of the rubber means nothing to me since I just remove that and with a little ghetto machining of the plastic, e-mount them. So that way you would have two with equally new rubber. Wow, look at my ability to write a paragraph about turn signals.

As for the bracket, I've got nothing. I'm supposed to get a box of XL parts from Fully Geed, and there would probably be one in there. Maybe even cut out the middleman and maybe he'd hook you up with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
Hate to do this but does anyone happen to have:

1 rear peg (the ones that mount on the swingarm)
1 rear turn signal
The clamp for a front turn signal?

Yeah I know they're all on Ebay but if anyone on here has some gathering dust in a parts box I'd rather send you some cash than some butcher parting out bikes on ebay.

The peg has been damaged since before I got the XL, the rear signal got wiped off on a tree (still works but is being held on with electrical tape) and I've just lost the clamp for the front signal.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #669
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,187
I have a set of front turn signal mounts for a XR650l that I am not using. They mount to the triple clamp pinch bolts. If these will work for you they are yours.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #670
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by crag antler
I was wondering if anybody had an idea of which XR600 parts will fit our XL600's??
Not trying to make the XL into something it's not just thought the XR parts would be stronger.
Like maybe skid bars,side pannier racks,front sprocket cover????
The XR parts are no better. AFAIK, the cradles are the same for skidplates and the front sprocket cover should fit. No idea on panniers.

For hpw similar they look, there are really a lot of differences between the XL600 and '85-87 XR600.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #671
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Bluhduh Weelllll.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterscm
haha thanks man, infact i think thats worthy of going in my new sigline. been looking for a new one for a while.

how are you feeling about your new (to you) xl now?
Well, I hate to admit it, but I'm selling it. I'll get another one later, when I get extra mad money. But now I need the money to get into a KLR or something similiar. I love the bike, and am going to miss the power, but I just know that I'm killing the bike with 2K miles a month in the summer heat, trying to push it to 75mph. It just wasn't designed for that. I need water cooling and a true 100mph+ capable bike to cruise at 75 realistically.

Maybe when I sell a gun or two, I'll get another one for weekends and a frame off restoration. That's a bike I would do it for.

I'm honored to make your tag line! Take it easy!
Dave
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #672
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
The rear pegs are specific to L/R, so we need to know which one you need. I am also missing one, the right side.
As far as I can tell the only difference is the rotation of the rubber covering and that can be twisted so it doesn't really matter.

Mine are just like these:

On Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
I can hook you up with a rear turn signal, they're the long ones,

As for the bracket, I've got nothing. I'm supposed to get a box of XL parts from Fully Geed, and there would probably be one in there. Maybe even cut out the middleman and maybe he'd hook you up with it.
I have long turn signals right now, I like the visibility of them, I thought about some sort of low-profile setup but even if they're legal they aren't really visible to traffic. [edit] just realized the turn signal bracket is a separate part [/edit]

I'm not in a huge hurry on the bracket I can make a temporary replacement from a piece of metal, right now the turn signal is just kinda riding on top of my barkbuster I'm surprised it stays in place as well as it does. I think the original is somewhere around the Santiam Pass ORV area.

BrandonR screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 08:20 PM
BrandonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #673
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Well, I hate to admit it, but I'm selling it. I'll get another one later, when I get extra mad money. But now I need the money to get into a KLR or something similiar. I love the bike, and am going to miss the power, but I just know that I'm killing the bike with 2K miles a month in the summer heat, trying to push it to 75mph. It just wasn't designed for that. I need water cooling and a true 100mph+ capable bike to cruise at 75 realistically.

Maybe when I sell a gun or two, I'll get another one for weekends and a frame off restoration. That's a bike I would do it for.

I'm honored to make your tag line! Take it easy!
Dave
I tell you what. Slap a $30 oil cooler on it and the bike will thank you.
Here you go.

If the bike is in good shape and the oil is kept level and good. These bikes can rack up the mileage.
Water cooling is over rated. Air cooling coupled with oil cooling is good. A bar mounted W/S and 15/41 sprockets and you are golden. There are a couple of drawbacks on the XL600R. Kickstarting blows if you have a sore leg. The headlight is not that great at night. Trying to keep from melting luggage on the muffler is a challenge. The engine and the way it makes power, its handling and ergos are great.

Reposado1800 screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 08:49 PM
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #674
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
Kickstarting blows if you have a sore leg. The headlight is not that great at night. Trying to keep from melting luggage on the muffler is a challenge. The engine and the way it makes power, its handling and ergos are great.
+1, but what a ride. Nonetheless, given our riding season around here, and my kind of riding which is start, ride long, shut it down, work 8 hours and repeat, I am right in the XL's pain zone. The thing starts great when cold. Starts great when it's hot. It's the inbetween, warm, that is a leg killer. And both of my starts are in the warm zone from late June on.

Short rides and trails are the strong suit for the XL. The long simple commute is the KLR's and street bikes. Maybe the DR's too, but I don't know. One thing, I have to admit that at my age, the magic button is looking reeaalll good.

I look at it this way, if it sells, it's meant to be. If it doesn't, well darn, I'll just have keep her and ride her .
Dave
Old 07-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #675
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
As far as I can tell the only difference is the rotation of the rubber covering and that can be twisted so it doesn't really matter.
The rubber doesn't rotate since there are two pieces of metal going through it, but good news, it doesn't have to! I just tried the peg on both sides and it is ambidextrous! (want to split the cost of a pair?) I've got a lady or two I wouldn't mind taking on the back for a spin.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote