Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #7006
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Where can I get a new screw for my master cylinder resevoir?

I stripped the screw doing monthly maintenance today
I hate phillips head screws for just that reason. I replaced mine with a flat stainless socket head screw. I forgot what size, wanna say an M4x8 or something small like that. Go to your local hardware store and get something like this.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=log1pf
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #7007
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
What measurements do you need? I have my old fork set leaning in the corner.
My email states that I need spring free length, OD from both ends, and travel.

I don't really know how you measure travel. Maybe they're talking about fork travel. Or are you supposed to try and compress the spring and measure it again. Wouldn't want to try that lol.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #7008
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
OK, here it is. The spring is progressive wound with tighter coils on one end and it tapers down in diameter for about the last 4 coils or so. Small end ID 19.6, OD 29.2. Big end ID 29.23 OD 32.7. Overall length 22 3/8 inches. Additionally there was a spacer on top of the spring 2 3/4 inch in length and a washer between them 1.5 mm thick. coil cross section 4.78 diameter, 62 coils. Travel I don't know exactly, no way to measure, but I would use advertised wheel travel for that. The manual doesn't give travel specs.

I didn't buy the bike new so I don't know if previous owner changed springs in the forks before me, but I suspect not. 87 XL600 forks.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #7009
MAXNX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
I didn't measure before and after height change, but I figure it was an inch at least. I put an 88 XR shock on the rear and longer swingarm and wheel from an XR too. The XR shock is about 1/2 inch longer , I just measured my old one against my spare XR shock (14 1/2 and 15 respectively). The XR 400 forks are roughly 36 inches from axle center line to the top of the tube, and my XL forks measure 35 1/4 inches. I am running the 400 forks 4 notches down which brings the length from axle center to the top of the fork crown about 35 1/2 inches. My static seat height is roughly 36 1/2 inches now. I know it is taller by feel, and the fact that I had to get a longer (XR) kickstand.

I hope this helps your planning, if you need any more measurements let me know.

P.S. I am running .45 kg front springs 7.5 weight oil, and 11.5 kg rear, 5 weight oil 175 lbs. nitrogen. I bulk out at 200 lbs. most days.

Dave
Thanks for the info I wouldn't mind it sitting a scooch higher.

I just bought a set of xr400 forks,triples,axle on ebay with .46 springs and gold valves. should work out good.
Did you use xr triples or xrl?
I have a set of DR650 triples laying around that are 43mm have the key hole and rubber mount for the handle bars. I may see how those work as the od on the bearings are the same.
I assume you used an xr650l speedo drive?

I will probably have more questions
Thanks for the help so far
MAXNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #7010
davek181
Studly Adventurer

I used the XR triples because they came with the forks. XRL makes ignition switch mounting easier. Maybe gauge mounting too.

I used the XRL/XR400 speedo drive to fit the axle. I was contemplating just drilling the 15 out, but couldn't figure a good way to do it and still have all my fingers too. Seems I had to change the cable too, it was too short. I think I used XRR, or an XRL cable.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #7011
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,112
I got the 13t sprocket today and it is sweet! I cant wait to get offroad tomorrow

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #7012
MAXNX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
I used the XR triples because they came with the forks. XRL makes ignition switch mounting easier. Maybe gauge mounting too.

I used the XRL/XR400 speedo drive to fit the axle. I was contemplating just drilling the 15 out, but couldn't figure a good way to do it and still have all my fingers too. Seems I had to change the cable too, it was too short. I think I used XRR, or an XRL cable.
I have an acewall speedo and tach, so don't even really need the speedo drive, but it makes a good spacer.

Did you notice more vibration with the xr triples since they aren't rubber mount?

I may need the spacers for the other side also-might have to order those from Honda along with the bearing spacer.
MAXNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #7013
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,112
I want to upgrade my suspension

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #7014
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXNX View Post
I have an acewall speedo and tach, so don't even really need the speedo drive, but it makes a good spacer.

Did you notice more vibration with the xr triples since they aren't rubber mount?

I may need the spacers for the other side also-might have to order those from Honda along with the bearing spacer.
There was no difference in vibration, my original XL clamps aren't rubber mounted. I kind of enjoy the vibration it is part of the thumper experience. I think it is more thumping actually more than vibration because it doesn't buzz my feet and hands to sleep like a multi.

As far as spacers go, I used the ones from the 400, but I did have to add a washer to one to get the disk caliper centering just right. If you need to order all that stuff, might get new seals too, they are probably different, although I have run mine many many miles with no seals at all trusting the bearing seals as they do in automotive applications.

Before I got a 400 axle and spacers I had an axle made at the local machine shop that was 15mm diameter and had the other sizes needed to match the fork. They copied the original design and made the special nut to fit it for the disk brake side where the 400 forks clamp onto it like the other side. I still use that wheel and axle for a hot swap of rubber. Both wheels are assembled with respective axles and speedo drives, it takes just a minute to swap. Unbolt the clamps unhook the speedo cable, swap swap, put it back together.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #7015
doc.heckle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
lm

Well I am back after a break, just picked up an xl600 lm, can I just ask what you guys across the pond are doing to your bikes ? it has taken nearly a week, but I have read through all the previous posts and it seems to consist of mainly rebuilds at low milages ! lots of useful info though.
doc.heckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #7016
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.heckle View Post
just picked up an xl600 lm, can I just ask what you guys across the pond are doing to your bikes ?
In what way?
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #7017
doc.heckle
Adventurer

They all seem to need rebuilding below 10000 miles, four strokes should go for a lot longer especially hondas !!!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #7018
davek181
Studly Adventurer

I tore into mine at 20K, running fine, to put in an overbore higher compression piston. Again at 40K involuntarily when I had a crankshaft crack. If not for the crank breakage I would have done nothing but ride. They do last well with good care.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #7019
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
many do go a lot farther than 10,000 miles. however, the ones that don't are probably more likely to come here for advice; so the sampling of people/bikes in this thread are likely to be a bit biased.

on the other hand, while the large RFVC are very reliable, they are one of the highest output/cc production air cooled single cylinder 4T motors out there, and overall aren't as long lived as the smaller dual valve honda singles that do seem to live forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.heckle View Post
They all seem to need rebuilding below 10000 miles, four strokes should go for a lot longer especially hondas !!!
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #7020
doc.heckle
Adventurer

Just ridden mine for the first time , to say impressed is an understatement , pulls like a train and doesn't vibrate as much as my tuono, one happy customer, going to check my valve clearances as the engine is too quiet !!