User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #7066
dirtywhoer
jay

Oddometer: 3
Cry my dirty whore.

I have been lurking around for a bit now and thought this felt like home. I picked up old xl600r that was less then pretty but ran great. Shortly after i traded and then kicked my self for it. I just got it back. It was used abused and put up wet like a dirty whore.
After tearing it down i cried. The whole top end was fried. The biggest problem is the head and rocker cover it is beyond cooked. I was thinking of placeing a small lower rod bearing from like a briggs and stration motor in the center jornal of the cam. If not ill have to empty my life savings into a new used top end in order to reabilatate the xl. Plese help ...........
dirtywhoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #7067
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,869
Dirty,

If you need a cam I have one for sale.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #7068
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Carbs

Anyone want a set of XR carbs? The ones with the float bowls that has the removable plug. The mount that holds them one to the other is broken though. Free, you pay shipping.

I also have a shock with the remote resivour. Has LE Engineering sticker on it so it may have had some work done to it.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #7069
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
I'll take the carbs if you are serious and still have them.

Might be interested in the shock too, how much?
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #7070
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Dave,

PM sent

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

Old 03-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #7071
dirtywhoer
jay

i do need a cam. And rockers. And head and rocker cover. Send me the info on how to take care of u and we will go from there thank u steve
Old 03-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #7072
MAXNX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I made a mount for the ignition switch and stock gauges out of a flat piece of steel that had holes punched for the ignition switch and gauge mounts that bolted to the bottom of the upper triple. I even bent it just right and was able to get the steering lock to function too. It was a lot of work though, I would opt for the 650L top triple if I did it again and fab up a mount for the gauges. There is a gauge mount on them already but different from XL. I even bought one on eBay to use if I ever get bored.

I have kind of the same problem again since I am mocking up a USD fork swap from a CR made up of parts I have gathered from eBay. I have the forks, triples, front wheel with speedo drive all ready to go, just have to deal with the switch and gauges now.

I have a pic of the XRL upper but I am unsure how to upload it for you.

No worries on the pics, I have looked at them on ebay. I will probably just fab up something. We'll see how it goes.
MAXNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #7073
dirtywhoer
jay

http://dirtywhoer.smugmug.com/Reabil...5131910b-M.jpg
Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #7074
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I made a mount for the ignition switch and stock gauges out of a flat piece of steel that had holes punched for the ignition switch and gauge mounts that bolted to the bottom of the upper triple. I even bent it just right and was able to get the steering lock to function too. It was a lot of work though, I would opt for the 650L top triple if I did it again and fab up a mount for the gauges. There is a gauge mount on them already but different from XL. I even bought one on eBay to use if I ever get bored.

I have kind of the same problem again since I am mocking up a USD fork swap from a CR made up of parts I have gathered from eBay. I have the forks, triples, front wheel with speedo drive all ready to go, just have to deal with the switch and gauges now.

I have a pic of the XRL upper but I am unsure how to upload it for you.

Here you go Dave

1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #7075
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Thanks. Looks just like mine alright, but I still don't know how to post a pic myself. I guess I better go study the newby pages and learn, although that may ultimately unleash a pic monster.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #7076
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I also have a shock with the remote resivour. Has LE Engineering sticker on it so it may have had some work done to it.
PM sent re: shock
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #7077
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,133
I was reading another thread and someone was talking about their bike getting rear ended before he bought it. He was talking about the rear fender being broken etc. It got me thinking, I got my bike with a cracked tail light, the fender is broken and zip tied back together, the luggage rack needs a quick weld and the license plate one the title I received from the PO was different than the one the bike but the VINS were the same, and when I got my title it had the correct plate numbers. when I first got the bike i thought it was just a wheelie gone bad, I done that a few times and busted rear fenders in my earlier days. I think my bike might have been rear ended Not looking for help, just bitching! the frame dont seem to be bent, i can ride with no hands just fine until i need some throttle!

sorry if there is any typos, buzzing!

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #7078
davek181
Studly Adventurer

You never know when you buy something used what trauma it may have endured in a past life. The important part is that the frame is intact and tracks straight. My XL has been rear ended too, but I was on it at the time. It was fairly low speed impact that mainly mangled the taillight, but rear ended just the same.

It happened on the trail, hit by a quad, ridden by my own wife no less. There was a blind switchback that I had killed the engine after exiting and was trying to find neutral and kick it back to life when the wife rounded the corner and throttled on hard. By the time she saw me it was too late and the next thing I know I was siting on her front rack and the bike was about six feet down the trail. I wasn't hurt and it really did look funny, and the more I thought of it the funnier it got so I had to laugh while she was horror struck and concerned that she had almost killed me. The damage was so minimal that I was going to give her a pass and not tell anyone else and claim that I broke my own taillight if anyone asked, but as soon as we got to camp she was admitting it to all, relating the story as many times as needed.

I discovered other things as time went on about the past life of my bike. The most notable was a defective aftermarket air filter had been installed (K&N) and leaked dirt into the engine and caused premature ring death. When I got the bike I thought it was a little hard to start, and after a couple of rides I noticed that he had backed off the compression release cable to where it was ineffective altogether, and he had also removed the handlebar release altogether. I don't know why, maybe he figured it would have more compression or power without it. I could still kick it to life, but it got easier after the release was adjusted right and the handlebar release reinstalled. Later when I finally did the top end I discovered how bad it had been before because after sealing the rings and valves I could no longer get past TDC without the compression release. I can literally stand on the kickstarter with all the bulk I can muster and it wont budge. Runs better too by far.

I hope you don't discover anything else horrible about your bikes past life other than a minor fender bender. Cosmetics are fairly easy to cure luckily.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #7079
brokeagain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I has a sad.

Well guys, thanks for you all your help with everything, but I'm going to be putting my XL600R up for sale soon. Three bikes worth of maintenance and grad school don't mix too well, and I've got a practically new XT225 that I'm picking up this weekend.

Just wanted to give you fanatics the heads up before I finish the fork seals, steering bearing, and speedo drive. 21K, very recent cam chain replacement, and basically a new electrical system and tires, to boot, among other wear items.

PM me if you have any questions or would like to make an offer while I wrench, some. It's in Pittsburgh.

If this is against the rules, my bad. Let me know, and I'll fix it.

Thanks again, guys!
brokeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #7080
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeagain View Post
Well guys, thanks for you all your help with everything, but I'm going to be putting my XL600R up for sale soon. Three bikes worth of maintenance and grad school don't mix too well, and I've got a practically new XT225 that I'm picking up this weekend.

Just wanted to give you fanatics the heads up before I finish the fork seals, steering bearing, and speedo drive. 21K, very recent cam chain replacement, and basically a new electrical system and tires, to boot, among other wear items.

PM me if you have any questions or would like to make an offer while I wrench, some. It's in Pittsburgh.

If this is against the rules, my bad. Let me know, and I'll fix it.

Thanks again, guys!
You going from a XL600 to a XT225? and no matter how much wrenching you do, its stll going to be worth $1500~. The PO of my bike thought that since he had $1100 into the engine, it was worth $2500. Wrong! it sat for sale for a year before he dropped the price a few times. I got it at $1500 and that was too much. I've seen XLs in way better condition than my bike for about $1K in my area

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote