Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #766
crag antler
Loving the woods

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016
The charging issue is your stator. Call Ricky Stator and spend $130 for a new one. It will be the best money spent on your XL. Almost everyone on this thread will agree with that...
Good Luck.

-Eric
+1 on the stator. Put in a Ricky and life will be good again
1976 Yamaha DT400
2000 Kawasaki Concours
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #767
rickjames
RIP rickjames.

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
I just went through almost the same deal with my bike.

The oil leak may simply be your drain plug on the left side of the engine by the foot shifter. Make sure you get a fiber drain plug washer and put it on there. It cleared mine right up. Another tip is to use a very thin coat of Hondabond or Threebond on your gaskets. Don't use RTV. The Hondabond is simply a miracle product.

The charging issue is your stator. Call Ricky Stator and spend $130 for a new one. It will be the best money spent on your XL. Almost everyone on this thread will agree with that...

The kickstarter is almost trickier than the cam chain tensioner! Read the manual carefully about 12 times to try and grasp what they are instructing you to do. It won't make sense the first time you read it, but it works.

Good Luck.

-Eric
Used the threebond.
I didn't want to spend the dollars on the stator but I will agree I'm best of to just stop being cheap and just do it

Thanks for the advise mate
rickjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #768
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 806
Anybody know if the xr600 (what years?) gas tank and the xl is the same....
Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #769
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrminbanshee
Anybody know if the xr600 (what years?) gas tank and the xl is the same....
Nope, totally different mounting.
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #770
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Nope, totally different mounting.
He's right, the seat is also specific to the tank, and then the side panels are specific to the tank/seat lines. That's not all, the left side panel for the xr600 is integrated into the airbox as an airbox cover. Then you have no battery compartment. The frame also has different metal for mounting these things. I've thought about doing the whole swap, including making my own fiberglass clone airbox so I could make a battery compartment into the XR one, but I'd need a car first so I have transportation during what would be a huge project.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #771
mdkm85
uni-cycler

Oddometer: 65
What size tires recommend? I was about to buy a Kenda 130/80/17 but then used my brain and realized that my old cheng sin rubs on the chain guard and is 1/2" more narrow. Anyone running their XL without the chain guard? Im using my brain again and it says this is a bad idea. So yea what size tires do yall run? Another question, when I give my bike gas the headlight gets quite a bit brighter and when it idles it dims, stator problem? I just charged my battery and it is brand new but some electrolyte spilled out when I was driving in my truck (battery wasnt in yet obvisiouly but it ate through my carpet) Electrolyte level is on the lower red line. thanks in advance!
mdkm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #772
uniter
anti-n00b

Oddometer: 41
Well I was relieved when my freshly rebuilt engine fired up and I was expecting to break it in. I let it idle for a minute or 2 and then turned it off to recheck the oil. It needed more so i put it in.

Went to start it up again, no dice. I noticed the engine was actually quite hot for such a short run-time. I let it cool down, it started up again, this time right when I was about to grab my helmet and take off, it slowed down, I gave it a bit of gas but it still died. Let it cool down again and it fired up again. I gave it some gas but I could tell it wasn't solid, it gave me a couple pops from the exhaust and then died.

I think it's running lean. it's still got the stock pilot, jets are in the mail. When I was rebuilding the carbs I noticed that my jet needles had normal notches and clips; I had read these machines weren't adjustable in this department. I also noticed that the clip was in the richest position. I thought this might be why it was lacking in power before the rebuild so I put it in the 4th groove. I'll change it back to the 5th and I might need to put a washer underneath it.

So much work and money put into this. I was relived when it started up, but I'm ticked that I still can't ride it. It also didn't get the greatest first moments of life. Not the greatest break-in :(
uniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #773
gaspasser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
hey here are some pics of my 86 xl600r.

gaspasser screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 06:36 AM Reason: C:\Users\Tim\Pictures\2009-08-12 003
gaspasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #774
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,993
Start Up

[quote=uniter]
Went to start it up again, no dice. I noticed the engine was actually quite hot for such a short run-time.

Do you have oil flow to the top end??? Loosen the bolt at the bottom of the oil feed line to the rocker cover and at start up you should have oil very quickly. If not the system needs to be bled...

I noticed that my jet needles had normal notches and clips.

The early XL's had the normal, multi position needle I believe. The later had only one place for the clip. Smog stuff coming into play. OK

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #775
uniter
anti-n00b

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Do you have oil flow to the top end??? Loosen the bolt at the bottom of the oil feed line to the rocker cover and at start up you should have oil very quickly. If not the system needs to be bled...
Does this actually happen? I've never heard of it. I guess I'll check it next time but I did definitely notice that after the first start up that the oil went from top line on the stick to not touching the bottom of the stick.

Something I forgot to mention is that the needle in the secondary carb is really fat and the one in the primary carb is really slender. In my shop manual it says the XR600 needles are set at different notches. The primary is in the 4th groove (from top) and the secondary is in the 2nd.

I'm not sure what to go with. I'll have to put them back in the 5th groove on the primary at least, I wonder what the secondary should be set at. This business of jetting 2 carbs is tricky.
Quote:
I noticed that my jet needles had normal notches and clips.

The early XL's had the normal, multi position needle I believe. The later had only one place for the clip.
You don't happen to know what they're set at do you?

BTW mine's a 1987 XL600, so it's definitely not an early model. I'm just wondering whether I have to get new needles or if I can use these and just figure out the adjustment.

uniter screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 09:08 PM
uniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #776
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniter
1.) Does this actually happen? I've never heard of it.

2.) BTW mine's a 1987 XL600, so it's definitely not an early model. I'm just wondering whether I have to get new needles or if I can use these and just figure out the adjustment.
1.) It can if the oil pump has been removed and disassembled. Several years ago Honda let a small batch of 650Ls leave the plant with oil pumps that had not been primed and the engines burned up in short order.

2.) I can't be sure if they are orignal or not, but the needles in my father's '84 XL600 are not adjustable. As a baseline, I would start at the 3rd or 4th clip down from the top.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #777
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspasser
hey here are some pics of my 86 xl600r.

im guessing you cant really run the aux lights, main light, indicators and horns at the same time.

unless youve got different rectifier/regulator AND new stator?

sweet ride man.

out of interest why do you need so much illumination and decibels? lots of wildlife round your parts?
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #778
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
and why does you spark plug lead go back to near the carbs rather than up to the cdi?
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:49 AM   #779
gaspasser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
hay the killer deer are out all over pluse back roads are dark,i'm running a 200w stater. 100w for the bike (lights,horns,blinkers) 100w for road lights. the two horns are for city,hwy,lets them know your there. the spark plug wire is a nology hot wire,it is longer than stock, gos with nology high out put coil, got sick of weak spark so put some extra volts. starts first kick most every time. i'm running 142pri 140 sec shimed both carbs,65slow jet,2 1/4 tuns out on mixture. 40 over 11 1/2 to 1 wiseco

uniter, mcma111 is wright ckeck bango fittings top and bottom,and the bolts, had some metal chips in my oil pump (new pump). as far as the carbs make your main jet adjustments first,then mess with the needles. i end up puting my bike on a dyno.
gaspasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:07 AM   #780
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
That suspension link looks sweet! It looks like the one that I made and documented here on advrider. Great looking bike! How much shoter than the origional did you make it? I think that mine came out to about .900 inches smaller.

-Jack
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote