Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #796
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolosmoneypit
every time i gun it in 1st gear it pulls the wheel. Plus it seems to wind on the high end at 60-70 mph my gears are stock 15 front 43 rear has anyone found a good combo they would like to pass on?.... thanks 84 XL600r
are you saying you can wheelie at 70mph? ive heard of this on the xl but theres no bloody way i can see mine doing that.

my gearing is 15-41. works well with speed limits and the rev range with gear changes usually when the next speed limit is reached - if that makes sense.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #797
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
15/43 is pretty tall. It shouldn't be buzzy at 60-70mph unless it just sounds buzzier than you're used to.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #798
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Laugh ?

I did not know wheelies were a problem. I guess I've needed help since, forever.
gorilla2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #799
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma
15/43 is pretty tall. It shouldn't be buzzy at 60-70mph unless it just sounds buzzier than you're used to.

The bike won't rev out till over 100 in 5th gear with the stock gearing. If it won't go over 70 something is wrong. Mine revs out at 85 with 13/45 on it
Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #800
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
The bike won't rev out till over 100 in 5th gear with the stock gearing. If it won't go over 70 something is wrong. Mine revs out at 85 with 13/45 on it
By revving out you must mean the rev limiter comes into play. This is built into the CDI unit and protects your valvetrain from the consequences of valve float (bent valves ) Valve float is what happens when the valve springs can't keep up. The engine is rotating so fast that the valve springs don't close the valves fast enough.

Man, I'd like to build a 600 RFVC to have the kind of power to take me up to 100 effortlessly and with minimal vibration. I get quite a bit of vibes at 65-70, probably because of out-of-spec rockers and cam, that's the only thing I have wrong with my engine right now.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 08-17-2009 at 11:25 AM
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #801
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,273
More on that....

Mine will do 75 pretty easily. The problem is that I get that knock at that speed. And when idling. Y'all have told me that this is the timing chain slapping around and normal. Being conservative with machines to make them last longer (read: cheap) I'm looking to go with a 15 / something combo that will get the rpm's down to where the bike purrs along. Currently, thats at 60 to 65 with the stock tires.

My 2 cents.
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #802
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt
Mine will do 75 pretty easily. The problem is that I get that knock at that speed. And when idling. Y'all have told me that this is the timing chain slapping around and normal. Being conservative with machines to make them last longer (read: cheap) I'm looking to go with a 15 / something combo that will get the rpm's down to where the bike purrs along. Currently, thats at 60 to 65 with the stock tires.

My 2 cents.
I tend to thrash mine, it's a toy rather than my daily transport so I have no qualms about running 4-6k which is where the power is. My bike hits about 95 with the stock gearing but it's nowhere near the rev limiter, it's just out of grunt. The bike handles poorly above 75 but it's the chassis that limits it not the power.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #803
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:

My 2 cents.
15/40 is the best for commuting.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #804
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
I tend to thrash mine, it's a toy rather than my daily transport so I have no qualms about running 4-6k which is where the power is. My bike hits about 95 with the stock gearing but it's nowhere near the rev limiter, it's just out of grunt. The bike handles poorly above 75 but it's the chassis that limits it not the power.
Is that 95kph? I'm talking mph. IF I was going down I-70 out of the mountains, with a tail wind, I MIGHT get to 95. At altitude here, we lose power. Got 14t counter sprocket. I haven't checked the rear sprocket, but it is not large. Gonna have to change them for more speed. And more cowbell.
Dave
Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #805
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
15/40 is the best for commuting.
Yup, that's what I was thinking.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #806
handirifle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by crag antler
So while getting gas tonight, I turned off the key but the bike still ran. Turns off by kill switch but the ignition only controls the lights now.
What does the vast knowledge base here think could be the problem??
Bad contacts on switch?
Bad switch?
Thanks as always for the help.Would hate to think I would be out on the trails,turn off the bike and not be able to turn her back on.
Same thing happened to mine. It's the switch, get a new/used one. Check Fleabay or these guys. http://www.tricountymotorcycles.com/ they were close to me in CA.
handirifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 AM   #807
Janosh
Old Man

Oddometer: 37
old picture?

You must have taken that picture when it was new.
Janosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 AM   #808
Janosh
Old Man

Oddometer: 37
wrong page

Sorry, where am I? Oh yeah, 13-15 and 41-44 lets see....big drive gear , smallwheel gear. Try 15/41. I think thats what my 83 had when it would do 100
Janosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #809
crag antler
In the woods lurking

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by handirifle
Same thing happened to mine. It's the switch, get a new/used one. Check Fleabay or these guys. http://www.tricountymotorcycles.com/ they were close to me in CA.
Thanks. I cleaned it but it still wants to act up occasionally.
I'm ordering a new contact base assembly from Honda of Troy. Only in Ohio so shouldn't take tooo long. Just trying to button things up for my vacation in 2 weeks to Moosehead Lake in Northern Maine.
New tires coming this week. I'm trying IRC GP-1s. Have to see how they do. My knobbies are just about gone now
2000 Kawasaki Concours
1976 Yamaha DT400
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #810
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Is that 95kph? I'm talking mph. IF I was going down I-70 out of the mountains, with a tail wind, I MIGHT get to 95. At altitude here, we lose power. Got 14t counter sprocket. I haven't checked the rear sprocket, but it is not large. Gonna have to change them for more speed. And more cowbell.
Dave
95 MPH, I am at 220ft above sea level.