User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #826
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Wet weight

I weighed a friend's 1987 XL600R yesterday, thought I'd share the info for anyone that might need it:
148 lbs on the front tire, 186 lbs on the rear (334 lbs total). This weight was with the bike ready to ride, with a partial tank of gas, no rider of course.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #827
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,130
What he said....

Yep, Rebuilds are always best enjoyed when someone else is doing them. Enjoy.
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #828
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,516
Some mods that I finished today.
Old-school round headlight. No stock parts were harmed during this mod.
Brackets fabbed up, ready to install.

Brackets, turn signals and headlight shell mounted. Turn signals are Buell Ulysses rear signals. These can be bent over 90* in any direction without breaking, and cost about $10.

A couple shots of the completed installation. Assistance and ADV salute provided by my kid.

Next. New FMF Q muffler. I ordered it from OEM Cycle.
The 1.75 inch. Its quieter than the Supertrapp, but still sounds good.
Here it is all mounted up. Its a little lower than the Supertrapp it replaced, but not a big deal to me since I don't do any hardcore off-roading.

With the side cover. Doesn't work so well with the cover. I need to work on that some more.

Here's a close-up of where I cut the mid-pipe. Thats the side cover mount screw just left and above the muffler clamp. You can see the swage in the pipe just left of the clamp. Thats the exact location of the cut.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.

JStory screwed with this post 08-23-2009 at 06:19 PM
JStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #829
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Wow

That headlight, is a seriously, brilliant, most excellent mod! Now I'm copying your rear rack.
Dave
Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #830
crag antler
Viva Moosehead

Oddometer: 435
I really like the headlight too. If only I had one of my GS1100 big ole 8" light hanging around.
1976 Yamaha DT400
2000 Kawasaki Concours
crag antler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #831
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStory
Some mods that I finished today.
Old-school round headlight.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #832
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
A couple shots of the completed installation. Assistance and ADV salute provided by my kid.

Damm Kid's

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #833
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Makes me wanna get one of them big-ass baja lights. I'll probably just get this auxillary one, as I'm not giving up on my 1983 Paris Dakar XL600 cloning experiment just yet:

And Mortimer Sickle: all we needed was your thumbs up, perfect. You've been rocking that sig. line for as long as I've seen you on here.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #834
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
Makes me wanna get one of them big-ass baja lights. I'll probably just get this auxillary one, as I'm not giving up on my 1983 Paris Dakar XL600 cloning experiment just yet:
Is that white and black thing right behind the "A" in Honda a cup holder? Coool.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #835
handirifle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
I like it. What headlight is that? Nice work on the brackets. How'd you cut them?
handirifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #836
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,516
Head light from eBay. The brackets are made of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum angle, and 1/8 aluminum plate. I cut the side plates on a band saw, and cleaned them up on a belt/disk sander.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #837
handirifle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStory
Head light from eBay. The brackets are made of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum angle, and 1/8 aluminum plate. I cut the side plates on a band saw, and cleaned them up on a belt/disk sander.
Nice work. Sounds like my kind of "engineering". Did you use the stock headlight switch?

handirifle screwed with this post 08-24-2009 at 12:25 AM
handirifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #838
rolosmoneypit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
help.. oil temp dipstick

i need to find a post i saw some time back with a link to an oil temp dipstick. Not the xr only brand one ive heard too many bad things about that one... tahnks
rolosmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #839
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
In XL600 news, I like the way my turn signal has ben malfunctioning lately. It has been blinking really fast when I first apply the signal and then erratically until it tapers off into it's normal blinking tempo. I feel that this has improved my visibility on the freeway at night, probably giving a few drivers the sensation that they are being somehow pulled over by a towtruck. I had picked up an electronic (black plastic box) replacement at the junkyard that I found sitting around, don't know if it's any good but I tossed it in my cut-out deployed airbags bag and got them both for free. I like mine and will ride it this way forever if it keeps up.

I had recently re-covered my seat with a cover I made also. I made it an inch too small in either direction, so it was stretched really taut, enlarging some of the stitch holes. Well today, it was next to this really shiny trailer and the bright sun reflecting off the trailer melted the seat and one of the seams gave way. It also melted the textured surface of the vinyl smooth and shiny in a large area near there. All the while I was inside the trailer cleaning, oblivious that this was happening. My co-worker/boss's kids were all like, "Hey, hey, I bet I can hold my hand on this seat cover longer than you can!" "Let's have a contest!"

Aw man, and that particular vinyl was left over from a project that my seamstress mentor did for a more recent AC/DC video, too! True story, far as I know. I had made that cover with the red stripe of tarp material first. I discovered that using tarp material isn't good because it's not stretchy so it creates wrinkles that don't stretch out. It also doesn't mold to your ass as you sit, therefore puts your as to sleep on most rides. I then got the seat "Back in Black", but I think the video she was doing costumes for was for "Stiff Upper Lip" or soemthing more recent of theirs. Whatever it was, their leftover vinyl made for a cover that was better than "stiff under ass" like the first one.

Oh well, it's a good excuse to make another one more correctly. Besides, Fully Geed is sending me his old stock seat and stuff, so I'll have a project seat I can really take my time on. Hoping to do some supplementary foam or a full re-foam job myself.

Bike runs great, just gotta do heli-coils in one bolt hole holding the rocker box on to stop a slow oil weep. I just cleaned the side of the engine off so it's gotta get done soon. I got a compliment the other day on the bike "That's bad ass, dude!" and then I got these preppy chicks in a BMW rolling down their window next to me in Downtown Portland with their makeup and dresses totally hitting on me saying, "Heeeey, I like your bike, that's coool, man!" They totally had the hots for me.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 08-24-2009 at 01:19 AM
Zombie_Stomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:24 AM   #840
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Dang, I gotta move over to Portland. There certainly wan't anything heappening at McDermitt weekend.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote