User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #8956
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
stator

I prefer to test electrical parts under load whenever possible. In this case it means testing voltage output from the stator while kicking the bike over.

For spark output you need only concern yourself with the ignition lead, the black/red wire. At kicking speeds it should produce 50-70 volts a/c. Kinda hard to see on a digital meter but kick it several times and watch the highs.

If you don't have voltage values like that the stator or wires are suspect, if you do move further down the system checking connections.

The stator supplies all the voltage the CDI needs to work on that one blk/red wire. The CDI unit when it receives a timing signal from the pulse coil it sends a capacitive discharge to the coil. The kill switch merely grounds the circuit to shut it off so it can be unplugged and still spark for testing purposes.
davek181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #8957
diffinking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I prefer to test electrical parts under load whenever possible. In this case it means testing voltage output from the stator while kicking the bike over.

For spark output you need only concern yourself with the ignition lead, the black/red wire. At kicking speeds it should produce 50-70 volts a/c. Kinda hard to see on a digital meter but kick it several times and watch the highs.

If you don't have voltage values like that the stator or wires are suspect, if you do move further down the system checking connections.

The stator supplies all the voltage the CDI needs to work on that one blk/red wire. The CDI unit when it receives a timing signal from the pulse coil it sends a capacitive discharge to the coil. The kill switch merely grounds the circuit to shut it off so it can be unplugged and still spark for testing purposes.
Thanks for that reply , I was told to check how much resistance there is with red/black wire and earth to frame , on 2k ohms hoping to see a value of 300 , instead it showed 1346
diffinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #8958
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
That engine is sweet. What is the problem again?
Pretty sure she dropped a valve seat...
Old 09-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #8959
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
And after a very slow moving hour and a half...

Ready to go...
They look nice in red don't they?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #8960
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Go all way! Do the head, bore it to the max with a high comp Wiseco or go with a XR600 crank and piston.
You will be amazed how fast these will go.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #8961
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Go all way! Do the head, bore it to the max with a high comp Wiseco or go with a XR600 crank and piston.
The acceleration from 0-80 on mine is fucking awesome, I can keep up with most sports cars until about 85mpoh, then it's slow to accelerate. No business going over 90 on these things anyway.

Good news, I got my engine put back together correctly, gonna drop the motor in tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #8962
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Haha, I think if the price is right, I might get the head worked over... Otherwise, reliability is the name of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
The acceleration from 0-80 on mine is fucking awesome, I can keep up with most sports cars until about 85mpoh, then it's slow to accelerate. No business going over 90 on these things anyway.

Good news, I got my engine put back together correctly, gonna drop the motor in tomorrow.
Awesome. I can't wait to get back to that point.

One quick question. For disassembly purposes, should I just remove the tensioner and shaft, or remove tension?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #8963
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Quote:
Haha, I think if the price is right, I might get the head worked over... Otherwise, reliability is the name of the game.

Awesome. I can't wait to get back to that point.

One quick question. For disassembly purposes, should I just remove the tensioner and shaft, or remove tension?

The whole tensioner will come out, there is a little pin and the that holds it in place and after that,the shaft will be pulled out with some pliers. Be careful pulling the unit out, it will 'snap' and could cut the shit out of one of your fingers. To get it back in, clamp the spring down with tongue and groove pliers and zip tie it down, reinstall the tensioner, then take a paperclip, get it red hot with a torch or stove and melt through the tie and the tensioner will click, taking up all the slack in the chain.

Here is a video on how to do it on a XRL, very similar to our XLs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Q4NLjps7I

Should be easier for you to do it than me, you seem like a better mechanic!

Quote:
Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #8964
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
The whole tensioner will come out, there is a little pin and the that holds it in place and after that,the shaft will be pulled out with some pliers. Be careful pulling the unit out, it will 'snap' and could cut the shit out of one of your fingers. To get it back in, clamp the spring down with tongue and groove pliers and zip tie it down, reinstall the tensioner, then take a paperclip, get it red hot with a torch or stove and melt through the tie and the tensioner will click, taking up all the slack in the chain.

Here is a video on how to do it on a XRL, very similar to our XLs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Q4NLjps7I
Cool, thanks man...
Old 09-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #8965
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

So, I'm thinking oil cooler again. While the engine is out and away, I've got room to tinker.

Looking at something like this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/2070...ductId=1675460

I'm looking to build a bracket to mount this up under the headlight, behind the shroud where the horn currently is. Relocating the horn is a non-issue, but I'm curious to know what sort of fittings I will need to tap into?

Where is the most effective place to add this to the system? I'm guessing out of the return line from the engine to the frame is the most plausible... So I would need a fitting to replace that hose to go to the cooler, and from the cooler to the frame.

What are the fittings used on this system? These coolers come in AN 8, 10, or 12 or 12mm x 1.5mm but I'm "plumbing fitting ignorant." Are these AN fittings on the bike? Or...?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #8966
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
So, I'm thinking oil cooler again. While the engine is out and away, I've got room to tinker.

Looking at something like this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/2070...ductId=1675460

I'm looking to build a bracket to mount this up under the headlight, behind the shroud where the horn currently is. Relocating the horn is a non-issue, but I'm curious to know what sort of fittings I will need to tap into?

Where is the most effective place to add this to the system? I'm guessing out of the return line from the engine to the frame is the most plausible... So I would need a fitting to replace that hose to go to the cooler, and from the cooler to the frame.

What are the fittings used on this system? These coolers come in AN 8, 10, or 12 or 12mm x 1.5mm but I'm "plumbing fitting ignorant." Are these AN fittings on the bike? Or...?
Why not use one of these?
From a Honda XR400, just needs a couple of studs welded on to the frame, plumb it in, good to go.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/97-1997-x...item2580457485
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #8967
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
Why not use one of these?
From a Honda XR400, just needs a couple of studs welded on to the frame, plumb it in, good to go.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/97-1997-x...item2580457485
Cause I don't want to weld to the frame, and I like making things. Guess I should have included that info...
Old 09-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #8968
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Davek has written extensively on the oil cooler plumbing question, and even included pictures. A search should turn up lots of info.

Dave... a few days ago you wrote about how you've saved thousands of dollars compared to purchasing your dream bikes. That has stayed with me, and I gotta ask... what are your dream bikes?

Christian
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #8969
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobox View Post
Davek has written extensively on the oil cooler plumbing question, and even included pictures. A search should turn up lots of info.

Dave... a few days ago you wrote about how you've saved thousands of dollars compared to purchasing your dream bikes. That has stayed with me, and I gotta ask... what are your dream bikes?

Christian
That is a very good question because I really don't know the answer. That is why they are called dream bikes. One bike that will do everything you want is impossible I believe. I guess that is why the plural "bikes"

If I have to come up with rides that I think would be the best for me a fair number of them would be orange in color. Be advised that I have not ridden any of these bikes extensively, if at all so my opinion is just that, an opinion albeit formed after much reading and bench racing.

For trail riding the gold standard is the KTM 300 two smoke, although I do have quite a bit of interest in the 250 also for alleged nimbleness and better vibration level. On popped up on the local craigslist recently and I was very tempted to snap it up but was financially unable to pull it off and remain married too. I have a riding buddy that has a 300 and I hope to swap bikes on one of our trail rides.

For everyday riding and commuting and gravel road and light trail exploring which is now the duty of my 600, I would look to orange again and hop on a 690. It is in my opinion everything my 600 is on steroids, except for reliability maybe. I have also considered the 525 in my dream mind, but I really like the thrust of the big bore singles and have seen comments that the 525 though ample in horsepower gives up a little thrust.

For longer road riding I am torn in my dreams. BMW comes to the forefront for very refined long touring motorcycles. Their touring motorcycles are among the best of the breed and very well thought out.

For sport touring I have to give the nod to the orange bikes again and go with the KTM 990 adventurer. It is a capable road machine with good gravel road manners, I have seen videos of people single tracking them even. My brother in law has a riding buddy that does just that with his. He takes it nearly anywhere he can take his 650R as long as you are not talking really gnarly trails. (See KTM 300).

Admittedly none of these machines are on my radar for purchase due to cash flow issues. You will notice that all my dream bikes are in the higher expense category. Funny how that works, isn't it? I guess that qualifies the term "dream bike".

I also very much enjoy the process of perfecting the XL600 and others from the first seed of thought through completion. I don't know what I would do with myself if I had a perfect motorcycle.

I think the best motorcycle in the world is one that you will ride. If it just sits in the garage and gets polished and admired it is nothing more than another piece of furniture. (See Harley)

Dave
davek181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #8970
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

You can't make a perfect bike, but you can definitely make the perfect XL.

Quote: