Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #886
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic
I have different starting/running problem. My 1983 XL600 starts OK. If I set idle up so it does not stall when coming off choke, it then idles too high when it is real warm. Before it gets real warm, it will occasionally "cough" then stall. I sprayed carb cleaner up through the idle jet of left carb (from float area of carb) so I think it is clean. The "cap" on the air adjust screw came off so it is set about 2 1/2 turns out. I've adjusted it to maximize the rpm when engine is warm.

The resistance of the stator checks out to be about 340 ohms, just a little on the high side, and I can feel voltage going to the plug when I ground it and kick it over. Spark is not real bright though when I am just kicking it over.

What can I do to make it so idle does not keep getting higher and higher as engine warms up?

What makes it "Cough" and die?
I had the same stalling problem that turned out to be a tight valve. If you check and recheck the valves, maybe even readjust just to triple check.

My XL600 only coughs and dies sometimes when I leave the choke on too long. Sucks in traffic. Or, if I just turn the choke off. I must rev the engine or be applying throttle under load when turning the choke off or it kills the engine. Can't just turn choke off at idle. My idle setting may be the cause for this. I have it set low enough that it never idles too high when at full operating temperature. There may be your compromise: have idle high enough that you don't have to rev engine while turning it off, or vice versa.

Then again perhaps you can't get it to idle that low. Perhaps your weak spark is actually an issue, causing it to not be able to reliably idle that low. Triple check your valves though, when I had a tight valve, it would idle fine for no more than a couple minutes before sputtering out. Follow up with me here.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #887
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Clean carbs.

Had a similar issue with mine. Was going to be lazy and put some seafoam in the tank when linkage between the carbs fell off and had to remove them anyways. Bike ran pretty good but would stutter occasionally with high idle when warm and ran too hot. Pulled the bowls off to find green nastiness inside primary. Jets partially clogged and float catching on the choke tube. Pulled all jets soaked and brushed clean, massaged choke tube with dremel for float clearance, drilled idle jet out to 62 and put a 120 jet in secondary carb. She runs sweet and the plug looked great when I pulled it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic
I have different starting/running problem. My 1983 XL600 starts OK. If I set idle up so it does not stall when coming off choke, it then idles too high when it is real warm. Before it gets real warm, it will occasionally "cough" then stall. I sprayed carb cleaner up through the idle jet of left carb (from float area of carb) so I think it is clean. The "cap" on the air adjust screw came off so it is set about 2 1/2 turns out. I've adjusted it to maximize the rpm when engine is warm.

The resistance of the stator checks out to be about 340 ohms, just a little on the high side, and I can feel voltage going to the plug when I ground it and kick it over. Spark is not real bright though when I am just kicking it over.

What can I do to make it so idle does not keep getting higher and higher as engine warms up?

What makes it "Cough" and die?

When engine is hot, it has good response and power from idle through high speed.

Maybe I just need an extension on the idle adjustment screw so I can adjust it easily without getting off the bike and taking out a screw driver. Does anyone make such an extension?
gorilla2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #888
fully_geed
Listens to Tom Waits

Oddometer: 96
I recently had very similar behavior with my restoration. Carbs were really clean, valve clearances were OK, spark...seemed good for a stock stator. My bike would start pretty well but would die when I tried to switch off the fuel enrichener (aka "choke" tho it aint a true choke).

My problem? the fuel air needle adjuster. Just needed to back it out 2,3/4 turns (approx). These bikes I hear are pretty sensitive to that adjustment, so you might try fiddling with that when you get 'er running at first. I think the stock screws have a metal tab which prevents turning for SMOG reasons, but a lot of people have ground that off with a file (as had mine when I got it used).

Try that anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniter
Hey guys, I'm at my wits end with this machine I just bought. Got it at the beginning of the summer and still haven't ridden it.

Fresh top end, including valves&springs, good compression. Ricky stator, all resistances check out, new plug cap, new resistor-less plug (D8EA), good spark. Cleaned carbs, 135&132 mains, 65 pilot, needle in 5th (richest) groove (where it was when I got it).

When I finished the rebuild I set the needle to the 4th groove, it started and idled for a bit but when I went to open the throttle it would pop and then die; I figured it was lean so moved the clip back down. I also put it a 65 pilot due to the lean condition; it ran hot and the plug was white.

When I last had it running (after hours of kicking and playing with it) it sounded good when I was on the throttle, no lean pops, but when I eased up off the throttle it stalled and no amount of kicks would bring it back to life (I know the proper procedure). Gas comes out of the float bowl drain when I turn out the screw on the bottom of the carb so I know they're getting gas. When I kick it a lot with the choke on and pull the plug I notice there isn't really any fuel on the plug but I do smell gas.

I really don't understand why it won't run, I'll kick and kick with the choke off and it wont start, I'll kick with it on and it won't start. Halfway, it won't start. Pilot screw at 2 turns out. I don't know where I should set the idle screw, whether it is open enough or not enough. Sometimes I'll kick with the throttle open a hair but it still does nothing.

It's a pain because it has been running, just not for very long, and it has everything it needs.

I'm going to turn the idle up tomorrow and squirt quick start in the hard-to-reach spark plug hole with a hose and give it some kicks with the choke off. I'm also thinking of pulling the carbs off again and making sure it's all blown out, especially the choke channel, I feel I may have forgotten it. I feel like I should be able to see fuel on the plug after lots of choke kicks.

The one ignition component I haven't tested (because I haven't bought a new one) is the CDI unit. It has good spark, but if it's firing at the wrong time it's going to be a crapshoot, does that kind of thing ever happen?

If anyone has any insights or ideas of things to look at it'd really be appreciated right about now.

fully_geed screwed with this post 09-09-2009 at 04:40 PM
fully_geed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #889
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Oh yeah, I forgot my more recent stalling issue when I let it get really low on gas. Apparently my fuel filter's element was floating loosely at the same time. It straightened right out when I got a new filter and a tank of gas. I finally found a high-quality filter that is compact and has a 90 degree bend in it. That along with some great motocross style colored fuel line and it was perfect. Haven't had a sputter out of it yet since then. That is if you don't count the time I left the choke on too long a couple times.

Geed, goodies in the mail for you as of yesterday, delivery confirmation and priority mail. Enjoy. I've got a funny story for you once you get the packages.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #890
fully_geed
Listens to Tom Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
[...]

Geed, goodies in the mail for you as of yesterday, delivery confirmation and priority mail. Enjoy. I've got a funny story for you once you get the packages.
Someday I will have to check out the motocross fuel line. I think that and my dad's 3way brass fuel line junction connector soldering-fu will finally keep my fuel line from making any contact with the "hot parts".

Looking forward to the package(s). I just got email confirmation on that from USPS. you didn't have to do PRIORITY
Old 09-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #891
uniter
anti-n00b

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fully_geed
I recently had very similar behavior with my restoration. Carbs were really clean, valve clearances were OK, spark...seemed good for a stock stator. My bike would start pretty well but would die when I tried to switch off the fuel enrichener (aka "choke" tho it aint a true choke).

My problem? the fuel air needle adjuster. Just needed to back it out 2,3/4 turns (approx). These bikes I hear are pretty sensitive to that adjustment, so you might try fiddling with that when you get 'er running at first. I think the stock screws have a metal tab which prevents turning for SMOG reasons, but a lot of people have ground that off with a file (as had mine when I got it used).

Try that anyway...
Guess what?

I saw your message before you edited it. I cleaned the carbs out again, didn't find anything clogged though. I turned the pilot screw to 1,3/4 turns out. I jumped on it, choke on, no throttle, didn't give me anything. Cleared out the cylinder, no choke, no throttle, and it fired up in 4 kicks.

I let it run for a couple minutes, I then adjusted to pilot screw to the spot where the revs peaked. Turned it off, ate supper, went out again, fired up in 3 kicks. At this point I'm really friggin happy. I go for a ride, on this ride I turned it off 2 times. The warmer it got, the more kicks it took to start it. The last time I got it started it felt like it "just caught" on the bottom of the 6th or 7th kick. I rode around some more, nice clean idle, went home and turned it off. Went to start it again, no dice.

My dad was there and he said he saw puffs of white smoke coming out the exhaust when I kicked it over. It gave a loud "pop" out the exhaust at one point too, I tried a little choke, did nothing, cleared the cylinders, no choke, turned the idle up by 1/2 turn because I know how hot engines like a little throttle but I didn't want to give it any twist (I fear the kickback) and it still did nothing.

The white smoke and backfire and the fact that the hotter it got, the more kicks it took makes me think it's running lean on the pilot. Tomorrow when it's cold I'll check and see how many turns it's at. I set it at the peak idle speed when hot. I'll then put it back to 1,3/4 and see if it'll go again.
uniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #892
crag antler
Loving the woods

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Guess what?

I didn't want to give it any twist (I fear the kickback) and it still did nothing.
Good to fear the kickback. A week later and my ankle is still black and blue but at least I can start the bike for my 5 day vacation tomorrow.
My kickback was my own fault by ignoring the decomp lever when starting with the switch off.Loaded cylinder with fuel and BAM= sprained ankle.
Never again.
1976 Yamaha DT400
2000 Kawasaki Concours
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #893
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 596
Uniter,

The screw you are turning is either an air screw or a fuel screw. The Pilot is a jet inside the float bowl.

If the screw is towards the front of the carbs, it is for fuel adjustment during idle. If it is towards the rear (closer to the airfilter), then it adjusts the air during idle.

If the carbs still have the stock jets (both Pilot jet and the Main jets) then yes, they probably are lean. Go up a size or two, and the bike will be happier.
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #894
uniter
anti-n00b

It's called the "pilot air screw" in the shop manual, at the front of the primary carb. Closer in means less air, more rich. As you turn it out it allows more air, more lean.

{edit: I'm actually not sure about that ^; I keep getting conflicting answers about which direction is richer/leaner}

It's got a 65 pilot. I ordered the pilot for an '85 (which happens to be a 65). I previously ordered N424-21 series jets in 65, 68, and 70, but contrary to the fact that I though they would fit from their description and dimensions online, they did not fit. That's when I just got the honda jet from '85. I don't know where I would be able to get a 68 pilot for this machine. I have 135 main primary, 132.5 secondary, and clips in richest groove. Uni filter, Xr's only pipe, backfire screen still in airbox, spark arrestor still at the end of the pipe.

I have an '87 BTW, 62 pilot stock. Live near sea level.

Tomorrow I'll just set it to 1,3/4 see if it'll go again, and not touch the screw. I'll ride it around until hot and see how it starts. It sure does run hot though.

White smoke, backfire, hard to start when hot all indicate lean right?

uniter screwed with this post 09-09-2009 at 08:23 PM
Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #895
fully_geed
Listens to Tom Waits

glad you seem to be making some progress, ya, i edited the response because I went and checked what I had written down and that said 2,1/2 or something like that but i'm running a pod filter and a different airbox so my numbers may not apply. but I'm betting that adjustment gets you closer to a normally running bike.

might not be bad idea to just check to see what the plug is looking like for any obvious lean/rich issues, but I'm guessing that your pilot jet is awfully close. The needle positions are curious to me since I don't think my 1984 CA model has them, but I'd want to return them to the stock condition first since the fuel/air screw seems to be having an effect. Only tweak one thing at a time with these carbs, it's very tedious but hopefully you get a better idea of what leads to what...

good luck!
adam

Quote:
Guess what?

I saw your message before you edited it. I cleaned the carbs out again, didn't find anything clogged though. I turned the pilot screw to 1,3/4 turns out. I jumped on it, choke on, no throttle, didn't give me anything. Cleared out the cylinder, no choke, no throttle, and it fired up in 4 kicks.

I let it run for a couple minutes, I then adjusted to pilot screw to the spot where the revs peaked. Turned it off, ate supper, went out again, fired up in 3 kicks. At this point I'm really friggin happy. I go for a ride, on this ride I turned it off 2 times. The warmer it got, the more kicks it took to start it. The last time I got it started it felt like it "just caught" on the bottom of the 6th or 7th kick. I rode around some more, nice clean idle, went home and turned it off. Went to start it again, no dice.

My dad was there and he said he saw puffs of white smoke coming out the exhaust when I kicked it over. It gave a loud "pop" out the exhaust at one point too, I tried a little choke, did nothing, cleared the cylinders, no choke, turned the idle up by 1/2 turn because I know how hot engines like a little throttle but I didn't want to give it any twist (I fear the kickback) and it still did nothing.

The white smoke and backfire and the fact that the hotter it got, the more kicks it took makes me think it's running lean on the pilot. Tomorrow when it's cold I'll check and see how many turns it's at. I set it at the peak idle speed when hot. I'll then put it back to 1,3/4 and see if it'll go again.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #896
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
I finally found a high-quality filter that is compact and has a 90 degree bend in it. That along with some great motocross style colored fuel line and it was perfect. packages.
can you send a link for me, the only 90degree ones ive found in oz are shite.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #897
crag antler
Loving the woods

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016
Uniter,

The screw you are turning is either an air screw or a fuel screw. The Pilot is a jet inside the float bowl.

If the screw is towards the front of the carbs, it is for fuel adjustment during idle. If it is towards the rear (closer to the airfilter), then it adjusts the air during idle.

If the carbs still have the stock jets (both Pilot jet and the Main jets) then yes, they probably are lean. Go up a size or two, and the bike will be happier.
Now on my '83 both jets are stock with the Pilot being a 55 and the Main at 125.
I was told that the '83's were the best jetted out of the box 600's.
True or should I change. Not that I am having any issues just want to run a little cooler.
But wait, looking outside it is 43F right now so there goes the warmth
1976 Yamaha DT400
2000 Kawasaki Concours
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #898
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 596
Uniter,

On my 1985 XL600R, I run the following:
Primary Main :122
Pilot Jet : 68
Secondary Main: 118 ( I will probably bump this up to a 122 also)
Mixture screw: 3 1/4 turns out
I have never even looked at my needles to see if they have clips....
My bike has 15,000 miles and is stock other than a Ricky Stator, Uni-Filter, and the airbox snorkel is removed. Starts first kick almost every tiime.

Hopefully this will get you started in the right direction.
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #899
uniter
anti-n00b

^ Thanks :)

I have a pipe on it and I do plan to uncork, and I live at sea level so my jetting is likely going to need to be richer. About the pilot; Where did you find a 68? And what series of keihin jet is it?

I just ended up ordering the 1985 jet from honda (which is a 65) no year came with a 68.

I tried the N424-21 jet series but it didn't fit.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #900
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,877
Jets

www.motorcyclecarbs.com

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote