User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #1411
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Hello

What size are you looking for? Mine is drilled out to about a 60. A friend of mine who is also a bike mech has a shoe box full of jets that I rifled through to rejet my bike. Let me know what size you are looking for and I can see what he has. Also, you might have done this but go to your local shops and ask. I've gone in to my local honda shop and the guy at the parts counter brought out a similar box of jets and just gave me one. Most shops and bike mechs should be able to hook you up. Oh yea doesn't matter where the jet comes from as long as its metric threads most are interchangable

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Speed
thanks for the offer still a bit slow postage wise, i dont need a new one, the stock US size would be good so if theres any of them laying around after a re-jet that would be perfect.

gorilla2891 screwed with this post 11-25-2009 at 09:32 AM
gorilla2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #1412
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 690
XL600R Cam tensioner

I found the source of some engine noise. Looking thru the right intake valve service port, I can see the tensioner isn't holding when turning the engine with the kicker. I'm at least gonna replace the tensioner, may put a new tensioner pin in if it looks to have wear, and maybe a new cam chain(all that slapping around couldn't have been good for it). Not anything new to me with the XR650L, but this is the first time I've had to go into the XL.

Question is will the rocker cover come off with the engine in the frame, or am I going to at least remove the mounts and lean the engine a little. The bike is a 84'.
Onederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #1413
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer
Question is will the rocker cover come off with the engine in the frame, or am I going to at least remove the mounts and lean the engine a little. The bike is a 84'.
You will have to lean the engine to one side at the minimum. All the XL600s are like that.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #1414
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
Valve Cover

It's actually easier to remove the engine completely.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #1415
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 690
Thanks, I thought that was the case. The part #'s are the same for the XL-XRL tensioner and spring, which I just happen to have a good used spare from a XRL.

The # for the tensioner shaft is different though, and I don't think the one for the XL is available any more. What's the diff on those, other than the 84's doesn't use a bolt to hold it, a pin and a tab on the cover does that. I got a feeling that the shaft will have some wear spots on it from the tensioner moving around.
Onederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #1416
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Thanks, I thought that was the case. The part #'s are the same for the XL-XRL tensioner and spring, which I just happen to have a good used spare from a XRL.

The # for the tensioner shaft is different though, and I don't think the one for the XL is available any more. What's the diff on those, other than the 84's doesn't use a bolt to hold it, a pin and a tab on the cover does that. I got a feeling that the shaft will have some wear spots on it from the tensioner moving around.
usually, when the tensioner fails, it's because the pinch rollers in the tensioner arm fail and don't hold the shaft anymore. I suppose if it goes long enough, the shaft wears as well. I wish there was a good manual tensioner conversion for the XL/XR bikes, like they have for the klx650. anyone ?
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #1417
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla2891
What size are you looking for? Mine is drilled out to about a 60. A friend of mine who is also a bike mech has a shoe box full of jets that I rifled through to rejet my bike. Let me know what size you are looking for and I can see what he has. Also, you might have done this but go to your local shops and ask. I've gone in to my local honda shop and the guy at the parts counter brought out a similar box of jets and just gave me one. Most shops and bike mechs should be able to hook you up. Oh yea doesn't matter where the jet comes from as long as its metric threads most are interchangable
i have been to some shops, the problem is that honda did not make anything smaller than 65 for the xl600 australian model, so whatever i am likely to find, even if it fits, is going to be the same as what is in it now so i need one from an overseas market that is going to be more the size i am looking for.

a 55-60 size pilot would be perfect.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #1418
crag antler
Viva Moosehead

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer
usually, when the tensioner fails, it's because the pinch rollers in the tensioner arm fail and don't hold the shaft anymore. I suppose if it goes long enough, the shaft wears as well. I wish there was a good manual tensioner conversion for the XL/XR bikes, like they have for the klx650. anyone ?

I thought I've seen that somewhere so I'll get looking for ir.
1976 Yamaha DT400
2000 Kawasaki Concours
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #1419
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer
if you search this thread a while back i posted a link to a dutch guy who put a manual tensioner on his xl600. it was all in dutch but the photos speak for themselves.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 11-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #1420
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
AFAIK, the only functional difference is how they are held into the head. The earlier(Pre-'88? Pre-'87?) tensioner shaft has a straight hole for the retaining dowel to fit through, but the newer style has an M6x1.00 thread for the retaining bolt. Externally, the new style has a raised tab on the end that can be grabbed with pliers for removal; the older one has a threaded hole for a bolt. I don't think they can be interchanged without some modification to the head or dowel/bolt.

HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #1421
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,363
The stock stator is 230 watt ???..REALLY !!!,wow.I thought it was alot smaller.I'm going to run the lights right off the batt with a relay,fuse and eastern beaver switch.
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #1422
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider
The stock stator is 230 watt ???..REALLY !!!,wow.I thought it was alot smaller.I'm going to run the lights right off the batt with a relay,fuse and eastern beaver switch.
I think it's the XR600R that has a whimpy stator and benefits from the high capacity stators when you do a baja kit for street lighting.

the charging circuit (DC) is pretty weak on the Xl600r. it also has all of the turn signals, brake light hanging off it. I don't think it can handle a headlight. the "lamp" circuit, however, is an AC circuit that drives the stock headlight. it has much more capacity and might be able to handle an extra 55/60W halogen. since it's AC, you can't run a HID light from that circuit without a rectifier. make sure all the bullet connectors under the seat are tight and not corroded, before adding more lights.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #1423
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Yamaha, honda, K&N, It doesn't matter who makes the jet, just ask for 55-60 pilot jet in metric. Like I said I found my jets in a shoe box full of eveything, metric,standard. I think one of my jets came from an R1 kit he had. Also you can just by an aftermarket jet kit with the sizes you want. If that doesn't get ya set up pm me with your address and I will mail you one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Speed
i have been to some shops, the problem is that honda did not make anything smaller than 65 for the xl600 australian model, so whatever i am likely to find, even if it fits, is going to be the same as what is in it now so i need one from an overseas market that is going to be more the size i am looking for.

a 55-60 size pilot would be perfect.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #1424
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla2891
Yamaha, honda, K&N, It doesn't matter who makes the jet, just ask for 55-60 pilot jet in metric. Like I said I found my jets in a shoe box full of eveything, metric,standard. I think one of my jets came from an R1 kit he had. Also you can just by an aftermarket jet kit with the sizes you want. If that doesn't get ya set up pm me with your address and I will mail you one.
im not sure about this, as i purchased a PJ/PD pilot jet#60 which is from the XR600 but the thread did not match the PH dual carbs on the XL600. obviously soichiro didnt make the XR imperial threads and the XL metric thread so im not sure about your statement that the metric threads fitting everything is true. unless i am missing something?

the only after market jet kits that i know of for the xl600 is the dynojet stage 2 kit, which is way to expensive and pretty much the same as what i have now. apart from the pilot jet of course .

if you are able to find a pilot jet 55-60 that you know goes in to the XL i wouldnt hesitate to buy it from you.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #1425
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

jets

The only thing I have found difference wise is standard,metric. Height not so important. The 125 i put into my secondary carb is a standard. it's brass so just a little more diffficult to screw in. Just means if I want to change size again I'll need a new metric housing to screw it into. Not sure on what the brass fitting the jet screws into is called. All japanese bikes use metric threads. Just bring in your pilot and ask for a metric that is a 60. Seeing as tommorrow is turkey day, fri i will stop by my buddies and grab you a 60. If I remember right some had a litlle larger diameter so I stayed with Like diameters. Weird, you would think Xl XR no difference. ?

gorilla2891 screwed with this post 11-25-2009 at 08:54 PM