Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #61
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
God had nothing to do with it. He/she/it likes meek, plus its as red as the depths of Dante's hell. We need bumper stickers asking the inverse of the question posed by the anti-suv crowd: What would Satan ride?
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #62
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
God had nothing to do with it. He/she/it likes meek, plus its as red as the depths of Dante's hell. We need bumper stickers asking the inverse of the question posed by the anti-suv crowd: What would Satan ride?
God bless you and "meek".....

Satan has his choice.... both go like bats out of hell.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #63
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
I started this thread in hopes of coming to a decision whether to make a bunch of improvments to my XRR or wait for a newer version of whatever. My gripper seat cover came today, I'm off and running.

Did a road trip this weekend with some friends (our street bikes, 900 mile round trip). A couple of buddies came along on their KLRs for the first day(all duded up like a pair of GS adventures). They had no problem hanging wih us for the 450-mile first day. Now, not that I'm slamming the KLR, because its a very nice bike, but I think the XRR is even better. So, I'm going to invest in my XRR and make it even better still and not worry about what Honda has in mind for '08. Seems reasonable.
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #64
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
I started this thread in hopes of coming to a decision whether to make a bunch of improvments to my XRR or wait for a newer version of whatever. My gripper seat cover came today, I'm off and running.

Did a road trip this weekend with some friends (our street bikes, 900 mile round trip). A couple of buddies came along on their KLRs for the first day(all duded up like a pair of GS adventures). They had no problem hanging wih us for the 450-mile first day. Now, not that I'm slamming the KLR, because its a very nice bike, but I think the XRR is even better. So, I'm going to invest in my XRR and make it even better still and not worry about what Honda has in mind for '08. Seems reasonable.
Keep us posted...

Old 07-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #65
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,079
I love honda's xr's but for them to release the air cooled xrl for 08 turns my stomach. Why not update the 650R? They could have a great bike with an updated 650R.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #66
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
dirt legal only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyC
Is it street legal in WA?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 AM   #67
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
ken I agree with everything below but.... "30 lbs lighter", you probably know R's better then me, but how do you pare off 30lbs? most of the the savings would come from comp' longevity, reliability. I'd pass on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaroo
As much as I love my XR.. IT can be made so much better from the factory.. look at all the upgrades everyone does to this bike. I'd much rather have a XR650 Baja...than a KTM 690 baja if it was offered.

I love to see a new XR650R.. EFI, USD forks, 30lbs lighter, higher output electrics, Lower center of gravity (like ktms under seat tank) etc.. etc.

What would we be willing to pay? $8 to $9K if it was super trick out of the box.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #68
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 828
one thing I can tell you is the engine is really heavy.. Just pulled mine out this past weekend for an overhaul (she's a 2000 model). I'm sure they could knock 5 lbs to 10 libs of aluminum castng off the engine it's self, frame redesign, lighter holow core axels, USD forks are 2 lbs lighter..

It's just so that I can put 50 more lbs of crap on it after I buy one

but your right(did I just say that. damn) at what cost of reliablility will it effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
ken I agree with everything below but.... "30 lbs lighter", you probably know R's better then me, but how do you pare off 30lbs? most of the the savings would come from comp' longevity, reliability. I'd pass on that.

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #69
mazdarati
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Chemical compostion of the XR650R

Theoretical BRP weight loss:
http://www.srcinc.net/html/101-03.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
mazdarati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #70
aethos
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Any New News on this

Has anyone heard what Honda is planning?
aethos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #71
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer: 1,170
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Toad Man
Hey, it may be better here in that respect, but I wouldn't say it's great. We too suffer from a cruiser and road racer dominated market. The biggest advantage here is many dirt bikes are road legal from the factory, like XRR's, most 450's, 525's etc.
There WAS a better selection back when many cool models were made (various 1980's & early 1990's P-D replicas), so the second hand market is a bit more diverse, but as for new bikes, the japs just aren't making adventure bikes for anyone. (except for DR's & KLR's) So the whole world is in the same boat.

BTW XRR's haven't been imported into oz since 2006, but the dealers are well stocked and you can still get one new if you look hard enough.

I miss my XRR
Where could I find a new one in a shop then, please ?
I'm in WA, and am willing to buy/pay for a new one.
By the way, after reading the subsequent postings, I'm in Western Australia (WA). Thanks for the help though

oziexplorer screwed with this post 08-17-2008 at 04:30 PM
oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #72
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,357
Don't know about WA and what might be available locally, but just pick up a cycletrader. They're selling them so cheap some places that it'd be worth having one shipped to you if you can't get a good price at a local dealer.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:52 AM   #73
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,055
There's one in OR left on the Cycletrader, I think it was $4900 when I called on it, brand new! But remember that the new ones come with "ORV" on the title instead of MC, They say OFF Road ONLY. You won't be able to get it plated in WA.

Stick with a low miles used 03 or 04 ect with MC on the title and you can get a plate for it, i just did exactly that a couple weeks ago here in WA. It really sucks but its the way they want to play the game.

Something to keep in mind.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 08-17-2008 at 03:13 PM
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #74
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy
There's one in OR left on the Cycletrader, I think it was $4900 when I called on it, brand new! But remember that the new ones come with "ORV" on the title instead of MC, They say OFF Road ONLY. You won't be able to get it plated!
I think it depends on the State - I bought a brand new one last year, and got it plated in Nevada no problems (used the Baja Designs DS kit)...

I fitted the DS kit myself, took it back to the dealer to get it inspected and they sign a form saying it has all the necessary road legal bits (tyres/lights/horn/mirrors etc) which you take to the DMV along with your certificate of newness (which says off highway use only), and they swap it over for a full Title - yea!

xxx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:51 AM   #75
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
If someone tells you 2007 is the last year of the XR650R, whip out a pen right there and write down their prophecy and the date. If the XR650R shows up in the 2008 model line, you will forever be able to remind him of it when he tries to pass tofu off as fact.

I have no idea what will happen this year, but I don't believe Honda will drop the BRP from the lineup without replacing it with something that fills the same niche. We'll know by October. I'll believe it when I read Honda's press release, not when some showoff tries to pass a guess off as fact.
I bet you are wearing black nowadays huh? x

It will be interesting to see if Honda do ever update the BRP... the TRX700 quad (I've not seen it, but hear it's imminent) has an e-start version of the 650R lump, so they have the motor... but as others have said, a new bike won't be a whole lot lighter unless compromises are made with the chassis?

Ironically, it will be the success of the KTM690 that might prompt Honda into doing something - but until that bike beats the CRF450's in Baja, why would they bother?

They have the new 700 Transalp for the touring crowd (in the rest of the world anyway), and the CRF450 is a better 'competition' machine (hell, even the Dakar boys use 450s these days) for pure racing - so the 650R has a limited market in comparison - the reality is there aren't really that many of us who want what the 650R offers...

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's a commercial decision... Honda are a business afterall...

xxx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote