Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #76
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
I bet you are wearing black nowadays huh? x

It will be interesting to see if Honda do ever update the BRP... the TRX700 quad (I've not seen it, but hear it's imminent) has an e-start version of the 650R lump, so they have the motor... but as others have said, a new bike won't be a whole lot lighter unless compromises are made with the chassis?

Ironically, it will be the success of the KTM690 that might prompt Honda into doing something - but until that bike beats the CRF450's in Baja, why would they bother?

They have the new 700 Transalp for the touring crowd (in the rest of the world anyway), and the CRF450 is a better 'competition' machine (hell, even the Dakar boys use 450s these days) for pure racing - so the 650R has a limited market in comparison - the reality is there aren't really that many of us who want what the 650R offers...

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's a commercial decision... Honda are a business afterall...

xxx
Good post. I agree that an XR650R replacement will probably have the fuel-injected ATV engine and be heavier, not lighter. Probably street legal too, because as you point out, there isn't that much of a market for a dirt-only bike that weighs over 300 pounds. So the new bike would be a replacement for both the XR650R and the more antiquated XR650L. But I don't expect it this year.

Honda never made a 2008 XR650R because their warehouses were still full of 2007 models. That's why the their web site continued to display the 2007 model alongside the newer bikes. Those seem to finally be clearing out from dealer showrooms, although an ADVrider recently posted on one in a Kansas dealership at full list.

Honda concentrated a lot of R&D in recent years on the motocross, sport bike and cruiser market. Their motocrossers are dominant, their 600 sport bike is right in there, and their big cruisers are probably not quite competing with Yamaha's Harley clones. 2 out of 3 isn't bad. If they decide to build a great dual sport they certainly could do it. My 1980 XL500S was an amazing motorcycle in its day.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #77
kjazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Is there any insider news on this subject now in 2010?? I agree with the love affair many have with the XRR. Mine is kitted and legal and makes a huge freakin racket in the motor, at least more than my tastes prefer. But even with that noisy motor, I love it's grunt and pull. It'd be great if it weighed a little less or just a little more, had a better dualsport saddle, was fuel injected (mountains you know), and still had a lot of stuff left that could be customized by us.....pegs, racks, bags, bars changes, etc.

Any insiders at Honda wanna pipe up??
kjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #78
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
Well, as the OP a few years ago, I must say I've moved on. Never thought I'd quit riding red, but went orange as Honda just doesn't have anything that I really want anymore. I must say I miss the "just ride it" maintenance of the XR650R, but I don't miss the weight and the lack of a magic button.
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #79
kjazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes! I forgot to mention the "magic button". The only problem is, when the life force of the "magic button" goes kaput, I'd still like a kick starter waiting patiently on the side....
Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #80
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

You must let go. How many cars have crank starts still?
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 05-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #81
kjazz
Gnarly Adventurer

I dont wanna let go!!!!!!!! mostly cuz I have been left high and dry when a battery went tits up unexpectedly!!! (like you ever really expect it!)

I hear you. I guess I could always tap into a riding buddy's battery....now I gotta carry jumper cables!! oy vey.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #82
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

I'd love to get rid on the kick start on my Beta (because its on the wrong side).

Last year in Moab temps, it was such a drag kicking the Pig to life whenever we pulled over to catch our breath (riding off-road -bike was too hot to leave running). I mean, I freak'n dreaded it (we were often exhausted). The magic button, well, crap, its better than sex. There, I said it.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 05-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #83
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
I'd love to get rid on the kick start on my Beta (because its on the wrong side).

Last year in Moab temps, it was such a drag kicking the Pig to life whenever we pulled over to catch our breath (riding off-road -bike was too hot to leave running). I mean, I freak'n dreaded it (we were often exhausted). The magic button, well, crap, its better than sex. There, I said it.
+1. Other than being the total wrong bike for the NE where I ride, this was the main reason I sold mine.

I mean the starting "technique" is nearly 2 pages long!

How do I start my 450?

*push button*
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #84
Cmayer31
Newb

Oddometer: 42
Wow, a 2 year old thread bumped up to bring on the XRR bashers. Sweet.

Honda never meant for the XRR to be a dual sport, so they won't replace it with a dual sport. They replaced it with the CRF. If you like the XRR and want its replacement then buy the CRF and make it street legal, the same as had to be done to the old XRR. It's lighter and has a magic button.

If you wan't Honda's dual sport buy the XRL, same as it was way back when and same now. They're not interested in making a new dual sport as they're still selling the XRL for a hell of a margin and the R&D isn't worth making a new one.

Sadly, Honda doesn't care to make a higher performance light weight dual sport, so you'll have to move on.

BMW
KTM
Husqvarna
Beta
....and more.

Choose a color and ride
'07 FZ6
Cmayer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #85
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmayer31
Wow, a 2 year old thread bumped up to bring on the XRR bashers. Sweet.

Honda never meant for the XRR to be a dual sport, so they won't replace it with a dual sport. They replaced it with the CRF. If you like the XRR and want its replacement then buy the CRF and make it street legal, the same as had to be done to the old XRR. It's lighter and has a magic button.

If you wan't Honda's dual sport buy the XRL, same as it was way back when and same now. They're not interested in making a new dual sport as they're still selling the XRL for a hell of a margin and the R&D isn't worth making a new one.

Sadly, Honda doesn't care to make a higher performance light weight dual sport, so you'll have to move on.

BMW
KTM
Husqvarna
Beta
....and more.

Choose a color and ride
If "pointing out serious flaws based on personal experience" makes me an XRR "basher" than so be it.

Brand loyalty is a funny thing to observe. With XRR riders it's like a mob of angry Muslims trying to decapitate a cartoonist who drew a picture of Mohamed.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #86
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Oh crap, here it comes....
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #87
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Oh crap, here it comes....
Yeah wait for it....them XRR riders are like a pack of wild dogs.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #88
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

I miss my Pig for a couple of reasons (maintenance, for one). However, I miss it most because now all of the Pink Floyd (and a Primus) references I used don't translate to KTM ownership. Probably time to change my avitar and location.

For old times: "If you've studied your Floyd carefully you'd know that pigs can fly"
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #89
kjazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Well so far, I'm still diggin my XRR....a lot! The starting procedure for me is very simple....one slow kick to determine if I'm top or bottom DC. If so, pull the comp rel kick three times and then kick for real. I'm always going real quickly with only one and sometimes 2 real kicks. BUT.....BUT.....a magic button is even better no doubt. The bike runs hot so idling while waiting on the buddies to show up is not a good option. Therefore I shut down quite often. I'd hoped that Jet-Hot'ing the pipes and putting Evans in the cooler would help the subject, but maybe not. The jury it would seem is still out on that.

I'm intrigued by the KTM 690R and the Husky TE630. But those are twice the $$. I've got the $$, but I also have a keen buyer's remorse about spending that much for a slight upgrade....overall (essentially just the button).

I think I'll just keep the XRR and try to work out any details that aren't optimal.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #90
Cmayer31
Newb

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid
If "pointing out serious flaws based on personal experience" makes me an XRR "basher" than so be it.

Brand loyalty is a funny thing to observe. With XRR riders it's like a mob of angry Muslims trying to decapitate a cartoonist who drew a picture of Mohamed.
What serious flaws?

Kick start? Hundreds of thousands of people learned how to kick start bikes and rode them for decades before a magic start. Lack of E-start is not really a flaw, just a luxury that is indeed missing. I'm sorry you couldn't start the BRP, maybe the bike was out of whack, or you just had issues with it.

Weight? Sure it's heavy, but it's lighter than many other bikes as well.

Funny thing about brand loyalty...I have none.

The following are currently in my garage:

2007 Yamaha FZ6 - I love it

2001 KTM 400 EXC bored to 450 - CA plated. Great bike, not a fan of the maintenance schedule, but the bike is a blast and has the magic button.

2000 Honda XRR - CA plated. Great bike, ridden hard, put away dirty. Starts every time

1999 Yamaha WR400R - CA plated. Talk about a riot, light weight set up like a MX bike, and always puts a smile on my face.

I'm not brand loyal and I'm very open minded with bikes. Re-read my post in this thread, I stated quite simply that the XRR will not have a replacement and other brands stepped up to the plate to make better bikes.
'07 FZ6

Cmayer31 screwed with this post 05-27-2010 at 01:54 PM
Cmayer31 is offline   Reply With Quote