ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #196
philippp
n00b

Oddometer: 8
mobill -- thanks for the heads up.

rthuey -- looks like you've got the route.
philippp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #197
9para
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Any way to get the route files without joining Facebook?
Thanks
9para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #198
ATCguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by duoderf View Post
Is there any interest in running this sometime in April? Late April?
As someone else said... April temps are usually still a bit on the cool side. However, I might be up for doing this. I'm a relative noob in the DS arena, so it might be nice going with a group. Keep us informed.
'14 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
'14 Dutchmen VOLTAGE 3200 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #199
rob23 OP
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
I did most of the ride on Labor Day weekend last year. Other than a few reroutes due to downed power lines and trees in the northern part of the state, it wasn't too bad. It was an awful lot of fun throwing up roost on the road that goes through Donald Trump's golf course.

Once you get to Great Adventure, the fun begins. Sand, and lots of it.

Funny thing, from about Great Adventure on south, I was following a couple of bike tracks in the sand. Looked like a couple of folks rode the route a day before me, even taking the same wrong turns that I did. And hopping the same log in the trail at one point.

I'm hoping to finish the last southern part that I missed sometime this year, though I'm not sure when I'll be able to get away.
That's all part of the adventure..

Just be sure to always navigate in off-road mode (even when on the pavement), zoom level 800ft or less, turn re-calc off.

There are some updates for me to make for 2012, re-routes, add roads, remove other etc. but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I suggest taking four days to ride the entire thing at a enjoyable pace. 3 days is pushing it. I like to ride it in June when the days are longest and the sand is nice and soft.

rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #200
ATCguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Rob...

I can't remember if I replied to your recent email or not... but if not, thanks for sending me the files.

Question: if a newb only has a day... or even just a few hours... to ride a section of the trail, what part would you suggest for them to be the best for practicing their skills, without getting too much over their head? (even if it means riding the same section over a few times to get comfortable)

Example: Like in my case, riding over from Long Island. If I should get up one morning during my 2 days off, and see the weather's gonna be nice... after dealing with traffic & crossing the bridges, that's only going to leave me with a few hours to spend that day & maybe the next before having to find roads again for the ride back home.

Thanks again...
'14 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #201
TacitBlue
good ideas gone bad

Oddometer: 60
Hi Rob,

This has me very interested. I live right near both Assunpink and Colliers Mills WMAs and began exploring the dirt side of my DR650 last year. Sand kicks my hiney but that's another story.. anyway, been eager to find more opportunities and the TNJT looks great, but when I go to your facebook page I'm not seeing the GPS data link (on your About page)... am I missing something or can I download it somewhere else?

Thanks for all the effort putting this together, great stuff.

Mike
TacitBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #202
rgb2cmyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
I just got done doing section 111 and 112 (incl hero) this weekend (and then crossed over to do part of the TPAT). Thx again everyone that planned the route.

To the noobs out there, I consider myself a relative noob and ride a big bike. I have done various sections of the northern TNJT at different times. If you are worried I say, just get out there, the northern TNJT is a good place to get your feet wet. Its not difficult. Once you get down to the sand, well... Good luck, I'll need it too.
09 R1200 GSA (Totaled by SS Sandy)
06 Husky TE450, 04 R1100s BCR, 03 F650CS
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #203
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
If anyone wants to try the TNJT...and want to test you feet in sand first...let me know and we can get something set up. I am glad to share what I have learned in past two years.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #204
ATCguy
Gnarly Adventurer

The trouble I have with meeting up with anyone is that I work EVERY weekend. :(

My days off are Thursdays & Fridays... and occasionally, part of Wednesdays (if my work rotation has me on a midnight shift on Tuesday night). Since I know that doesn't conform to the majority of the world, those 'weekend rides' are something I never get to do.

But if anyone's got time off on those days, maybe we can ride together at some point this year.
'14 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #205
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Is there anyway to ride the trail without using Facebook? I just picked up a Tenere, and have been exploring most of the TNJT "North" somewhat accidentally just by leaving my driveway and playing around in Sussex. I've stumbled on a few closed roads, a few dirt roads that were pretty much mud holes, crossed a few bridges that I later determined may have been closed.

I really want to try the trail this summer. I need to get my "dirt legs" back under me. My goal is the PB300 next year. I see a "sand school" in my future.

So back to the original "problem". I don't Facebook. I can live vicariously through my wife's account, but I am lost when it comes to how it all works.

Any help?
ac
avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #206
TacitBlue
good ideas gone bad

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
If anyone wants to try the TNJT...and want to test you feet in sand first...let me know and we can get something set up. I am glad to share what I have learned in past two years.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I could definitely use a hour or two of 'sand lessons' if you're willing. I've been riding street for 25 years but my big heavy DR is a handfull in deep sand and frankly it scares me a little when it get squirly at speed.

Just have to get the old girl out of cold storage.

Mike
TacitBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #207
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacitBlue View Post
I could definitely use a hour or two of 'sand lessons' if you're willing. I've been riding street for 25 years but my big heavy DR is a handfull in deep sand and frankly it scares me a little when it get squirly at speed.

Just have to get the old girl out of cold storage.

Mike
No problem. Once you have it out and are ready, just let me know.

Also, bikes must all be totally street legal. Where we will ride is patrolled by rangers and town cops..even the occasional statey. FYI.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #208
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Also, bikes must all be totally street legal. Where we will ride is patrolled by rangers and town cops..even the occasional statey. FYI.
Very good advice.....

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #209
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
No problem. Once you have it out and are ready, just let me know.

Doug,

I might take you up on that too one day. It would probably be wise of me to learn some sand on the light DS before I take the beast down there.

You still riding that SV1k around?

ac
avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #210
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
Doug,

I might take you up on that too one day. It would probably be wise of me to learn some sand on the light DS before I take the beast down there.

You still riding that SV1k around?

ac
hey AC...you are welcome to come too. yeah, the light DS is better for learning the principles. I have ridden an R1150GS( a buddies) once before, and it was like a fricken tanker. I'll leave the big bike schools to Jack Splash..he has way more experience than I do with the big bikes...and small bike for that matter.

But, I know I hated sand when I first started..so I am glad to share what I know now.

And yeah..still on the SV1K...as my main street bike. No reason to get rid of it..still serves its purpose just fine. I'll probably never get rid of it.