ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #211
zeusrock1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I'd be up for some riding. I do ok on most major roads, but the deep sand gives me trouble. I've tried keeping the throttle up, weight back, steering with my knees and just when I think I have the hang of it, down I go. I'm available most weekends, got a KLR with D606.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #212
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusrock1 View Post
I'd be up for some riding. I do ok on most major roads, but the deep sand gives me trouble. I've tried keeping the throttle up, weight back, steering with my knees and just when I think I have the hang of it, down I go. I'm available most weekends, got a KLR with D606.
lower your front pressure to 12psi
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #213
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,383
You're new...don't listen to Chris...make it 18

Riiiight Chris?

:)
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #214
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
IMO, tire pressure plays a big role. I lower to 10-12 PSI for the sand. Some guys don't. I'll have guys show up with higher and do a demo of how the different pressures feel in the sand.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #215
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,383
Doug, you'll laugh, I was all, "I run 25...25 rules...yadda yadda" as you know....

Then I checked and I was 20-21 on both tires, so all that good handling I was touting for 25 was not even close.......pays to actually CHECK your PSI...I wouldn't go down to 12...but I'd run 18-20...

For TNJT....I'd keep the pressure up in the north. There is a TON of rock---however, none of it steep enough to warrant lower tire PSI...the way I go banging off of shit up on Paradise Rd for instance, I'd recommend keep it up to avoid pinch flats AND account for the fact that it's 90+ percent paved.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #216
DougZ73
Fading off.........

That is funny Bill. I actually check everytime before I head out, which is almost each weekend. For the dirt bikes anyway..street bike I do not check as much.

I did try 25 PSI for a ride back when we talked about it. I hated it..LOL.

But, overall, to each is own. Some people thought the stock tires are fine for the NJ sand( deathwings on the WRR). I hated them and got rid of them after first ride..and first fall on that bike.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #217
TacitBlue
good ideas gone bad

Oddometer: 60
Hit section 5-1 yesterday

Well, got the bike out from winter slumber this weekend and in a surge of bravery decided to face the deep sand of the Colliers Mills WMA on my DR650 for the second time. I have a new set of Dunlop D606 tires inthe garage but havn't mounted them yet, so I dropped the pressure in my Trailwings (ugg) to 20psi and went for it. Following advice I have read in these pages, I sat my butt as far back as I could (pretty much on the rear rack) and used the throttle to keep the front "floating" up in the sand whenever it seemed to start digging in. It worked (mostly) and I had only a couple of pucker-worthy episodes in around 30 miles of 1st-gear-only heroics.

My big quest was to see what these were:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=08501&...sey+08501&z=17

Turns out they are old "iron bogs" used for musket and cannon ball manufacture way back in the old days. At least that's wht the hunter I came across told me.

So, bottom line is the sand only has me questioning my sanity a couple times an hour now, as opposed to leaving me vowing to never ride back there again like last year.

Thanks to all who post advice and volunteered to give lessons. ...I think I still need some...!

Mike
TacitBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #218
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacitBlue View Post
Well, got the bike out from winter slumber this weekend and in a surge of bravery decided to face the deep sand of the Colliers Mills WMA on my DR650 for the second time. I have a new set of Dunlop D606 tires inthe garage but havn't mounted them yet, so I dropped the pressure in my Trailwings (ugg) to 20psi and went for it. Following advice I have read in these pages, I sat my butt as far back as I could (pretty much on the rear rack) and used the throttle to keep the front "floating" up in the sand whenever it seemed to start digging in. It worked (mostly) and I had only a couple of pucker-worthy episodes in around 30 miles of 1st-gear-only heroics.

My big quest was to see what these were:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=08501&...sey+08501&z=17

Turns out they are old "iron bogs" used for musket and cannon ball manufacture way back in the old days. At least that's wht the hunter I came across told me.

So, bottom line is the sand only has me questioning my sanity a couple times an hour now, as opposed to leaving me vowing to never ride back there again like last year.

Thanks to all who post advice and volunteered to give lessons. ...I think I still need some...!

Mike
Mike,

I tracked section 5 in Garmin (.gdb files) for Rob when he was doing the master layout....and it really is a nice ride..

This is a good time to practice ride the sand, ..when there's no dust and still firm.....when it gets hot the sand gets deeper and more challenging

Keep your body loose and ride the sand like you own it.......

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #219
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Doug, you'll laugh, I was all, "I run 25...25 rules...yadda yadda" as you know....

Then I checked and I was 20-21 on both tires, so all that good handling I was touting for 25 was not even close.......pays to actually CHECK your PSI...I wouldn't go down to 12...but I'd run 18-20...

For TNJT....I'd keep the pressure up in the north. There is a TON of rock---however, none of it steep enough to warrant lower tire PSI...the way I go banging off of shit up on Paradise Rd for instance, I'd recommend keep it up to avoid pinch flats AND account for the fact that it's 90+ percent paved.
in the north keep the pressure higher. in the sand 12-15 (klr and smaller) works the best. try it, you'll see.
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #220
TacitBlue
good ideas gone bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van View Post
Mike,

I tracked section 5 in Garmin (.gdb files) for Rob when he was doing the master layout....and it really is a nice ride..

This is a good time to practice ride the sand, ..when there's no dust and still firm.....when it gets hot the sand gets deeper and more challenging

Keep your body loose and ride the sand like you own it.......

Thanks Ray. Speaking of the Garmin files, any chance you can point me to where I can download them? I go to Rob's Facebook /About page and I don't see a link. I wound up using my phone and Google Maps to navigate back there. Not ideal!

thx,

Mike
Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #221
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Thanks Ray. Speaking of the Garmin files, any chance you can point me to where I can download them? I go to Rob's Facebook /About page and I don't see a link. I wound up using my phone and Google Maps to navigate back there. Not ideal!

thx,

Mike
Mike

For you and others.....When you go to Rob's FB page go to where it say "ABOUT" (just under his name) left click.....then go on the right side where it says TNJT...down load the .zip file.....there are other routes for other states too...

...or go here
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/rideguide/info

I for one have not rode the route
north of RT#130
and would like to pick a date, form a small group and ride those sections

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #222
TacitBlue
good ideas gone bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van View Post
Mike

For you and others.....When you go to Rob's FB page go to where it say "ABOUT" (just under his name) left click.....then go on the right side where it says TNJT...down load the .zip file.....there are other routes for other states too...

...or go here
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/rideguide/info

I for one have not rode the route
north of RT#130
and would like to pick a date, form a small group and ride those sections
this is killing me. I must be blind. Do I have to 'friend' Rob to see the link?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #223
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
download files..

Quote:
this is killing me. I must be blind. Do I have to 'friend' Rob to see the link?
I'm trying to, but no luck?
alskee750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #224
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Are you guys not seeing the links of the files under " about Rob" ??

Edit...OK, you have to be logged into FB to see links.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #225
TacitBlue
good ideas gone bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Are you guys not seeing the links of the files under " about Rob" ??

Edit...OK, you have to be logged into FB to see links.
I'm logged in, but no file links visible. If I click on "About" it goes to his About page that has "basic info" (sex=male) and a link back to the rideguide (home) page. That's it.

Must have to be 'friends' to see the links is all I can think of.

Oh, and if I click on the About drop-down list I see Timeline, About, Photos and Map, but no file download links. :(