ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #271
Riding
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Let's give it another try here: July 28 or 29 (I read some people prefer Sun)? I would be game either day.

Just a couple of disclaimers:
1) I moved to NJ about a year ago so I am still learning my way around the garden state.
2) I have a CAR gps in the bike so I can go by myself to places that have tarmac. The off road GPS will be for christmas probably
3) This is my first "off-road" bike. I come from 18 years of riding sport bikes (2 strokes, big 4 cylinders 150 hp, classic Ducatis...). So I am still an off road rookie. I can just say that so far it has been a lot of fun!

Let's hear if this date is good... c'mon guys!
Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #272
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 230
I'm new here. Great site!
I don't have a big dual sport bike. I'm currently riding a '77 Honda Trail 90
that I'm slowly restoring. (a very quiet and very slooow bike)
These backroads and trails on the TNJT look like
just the thing with my little bike. I don't have a GPS (and don't want or need one)
Anybody have any idea how I can print out the sections from Google maps
as a set of directions? Most of section one is fairly close to my home
and I'd love to get out there and ride some of it.
But being an older guy who prefers maps and directions to electronic
gadgets, I'd really like to get a print out of the directions, sort of like
a road rally sheet.
Can't seem to figure out how to get Google maps to do that for me.
Thanks!

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #273
spacejunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
@Riding: sign me up for the noob-off-rider club as well. I moved down to jersey from maine late last year and am still getting my feet wet. Used to ride a triumph street-bike before getting hooked on advriding. This forum and the people on it have been of immense help. I am working July 28th/29th weekend :( but will try and swap that weekend out with a colleague if it works for the people here.

@OffCenter: I am one of those over-spec'd people;) who find the GPS convenient. However, I have played around with the track on gps-babel and am sure that there is a way to print it out in a usable form. i'll try if successful, will send it to you.

Cheers!

spacejunky screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 04:37 PM
spacejunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #274
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejunky View Post
@Riding: sign me up for the noob-off-rider club as well. I moved down to jersey from maine late last year and am still getting my feet wet. Used to ride a triumph street-bike before getting hooked on advriding. This forum and the people on it have been of immense help. I am working July 28th/29th weekend :( but will try and swap that weekend out with a colleague if it works for the people here.

@OffCenter: I am one of those over-spec'd people;) who find the GPS convenient. However, I have played around with the track on gps-babel and am sure that there is a way to print it out in a usable form. i'll try if successful, will send it to you.

Cheers!
Thank you very much!!!!! I'd really appreciate it!
Where in Jersey are you? I'm near Lake Hopatcong myself,
northwestern corner of the state.

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #275
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I love that this thread suddenly came to life with everyone excited to tackle this together.

I myself only have a few seasons of trail riding under my belt.
And by seasons, I mean maybe 2 days a month max.
Those were always on my little 200 2-stroke as well.

Never done anything too crazy on the big bike (it's new to me!! ,) especially any deep sand like I know a lot of southern Jersey is. Assuming this holds true for the southern portion if the TNJT as well?

My question for those of you guys who have done the full thing... how long does it take to go top to bottom?
Seems everyone is interested in doing either the northern or southern half. I'd love to tackle the whole thing.

I'm hoping I can have her fully equipped by the end of the month for these prospective dates.
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #276
cammok5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
ive only been rideing dirtbikes since the winter but ive riden quads for a few years now and think i ride preaty good for being so new to it. i havent had any truble keeping up with the few other poeple ive riden with so far.
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #277
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Although I have a quarter million road miles over the years, I've never done any off roading.
I've been slowly getting the Trail 90 restored and and made roadworthy and reliable again.
Since this bike has a reputation for being able to go anywhere,
I'm eager to try it out on on some longer rides on the TNJT.
But with only 7 hp, and top speed of around 45 mph,
I'm not likely to keep up with anyone.

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #278
Riding
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejunky View Post

Cheers!
@spacejunky: great to hear! I hope you can clear your 28th/29th, otherwise, let's keep trying other dates! I am looking forward to hitting some dirt!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #279
cammok5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
the 28/29 should be ok for me but maybe to soon for others?? saturdays would probaly be better so i dont have to rush home sunday night for work in the am after already rideing all day but let majority rule.
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #280
KevinLeigh
New Member Old Rider

Oddometer: 6
Wink

Rode part of the TNJT this weekend. (7/7/2012) Picked up the trail at High Point, and rode down to Long Valley. It was quite an experience, riding 2-up on my 2003 Yamaha FZ1 with Pilot Road 3 tires. Brook Rd (In the Flatbrook Fish and Wildlife Management Area) was washed out pretty badly at N41 11.395 W74 50.234. Check out this thread for the details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807277

KevinLeigh screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 10:59 PM Reason: Moved post to Day Trippin
KevinLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #281
spacejunky
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcenter View Post
Thank you very much!!!!! I'd really appreciate it!
Where in Jersey are you? I'm near Lake Hopatcong myself,
northwestern corner of the state.
Live in Central NJ, about 10-20min from the assunpink/colliers wildlife management areas.

Check these out for the routes:
http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20955

http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-deve...transform.html
Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #282
spacejunky
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLeigh View Post
Rode part of the TNJT this weekend. (7/7/2012) Picked up the trail at High Point, and rode down to Long Valley. It was quite an experience, riding 2-up on my 2003 Yamaha FZ1 with Pilot Road 3 tires. Brook Rd (In the Flatbrook Fish and Wildlife Management Area) was washed out pretty badly at N41 11.395 W74 50.234. Check out this thread for the details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807277
Looks like you had fun. (except the part where it said 98 deg!!). The trail looks perfect for a dual sport
Old 07-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #283
mudcut
n00b

Oddometer: 6
28/29 sounds good what section?
mudcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #284
Riding
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcut View Post
28/29 sounds good what section?
We accept suggestions ... I live in Morristown so anywhere I can ride within 1-2 hours would be a good place to start...

I have never done it before and do not have a GPS to navigate it so we will definitely need guidance
Old 07-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #285
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 628
Gonna do Section 1 next Wednesday 18JUL, if anybody's interested.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote