ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #166
schizo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Ready to go home

I'm ready to go home and get hugs from my 3 year old. She named my KLR650 "cool" when she was 1. It was one of her first words. Sometimes I can not beleive how lucky I am.
schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #167
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Howdy,

I love these kinds of threads. There really is something about the Father/Daughter relationship that transcends words. Without even realizing it, I began calling my little girl "Precious" at an early age. I couldn't help it. When I think of her or see her, that is just what pops into my head. I could not hope to convey the depth of that feeling towards her. I hope like crazy that riding is something I will be able to share with her, but I would settle for anything so long as we get to share it. As an older parent (me 40, her 2-1/2), I appreciate how fast the years slip away and that has really made me focus on spending time with her.

Sarah Nicole will be three in Dec.

She has a little brother to bug her as well, Daniel Scott will be one next month.

Making sure Daddy's bike is ready for the next trip...

With her first "bike"

Helping our friend with an oil change

Two Wheeled Texans

Tourmeister screwed with this post 09-02-2008 at 10:13 PM
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #168
grae313
Idiosyncratic Misanthrope

Oddometer: 990
Aw man, what an amazing thread. I'm also misty-eyed at work

I have wonderful memories of going for rides on the back of my dad's (and my mom's) motorcycle when I was little. After years and years of wanting one, I finally got my own street bike two weeks ago, and I haven't even sat in a car since! LOL, so dads, get ready because if you are giving them rides now, they're likely to be riding when they grow up!

It's wonderful to see so many fathers cherishing their daughters. I gotta get some pics scanned...
grae313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #169
pgods
Godspeed rider

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman3
enjoy these times life can change in a moment .I lost my daughter and her husband to a drunk driver in 2005 . luck her kids were not with them . she and went on many ride together mostly offroad . i sure miss her
That is just so completely and utterly sad. I cannot imagine. At 46 years old I finally have a little daughter, Julia, who is 4 months old. In a heartbeat I would give my life for her. I never anticipated or understood this kind of love.
I am truly sorry.
pgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #170
pgods
Godspeed rider

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltony
No offense taken, you're not starting a flame war -- I agree with you. I understand that was dangerous, shouldn't have done it, would never do it again without some protection for her, and would never advocate anyone else doing anything like it either.

I don't do that regularly (only did it that one time, actually), and please understand that this particular ride was safer than if you were walking around a park carrying your little one on your shoulders. Yes, bad things can happen in an instant, and without warning, as in any situation -- motorcycle or no. I don't mean to justify what I did, because I admit, it wasn't smart and there's no need to take unnecessary risks, especially when it comes to our kids. I just want to make sure you realize that I'm not running her to the grocery store or somewhere on a regular basis!

Be careful, be safe, and protect the little ones!
In the words of my father, "you had a tuition free lesson". It's clear you've had time to reflect and now you are a better man/ rider for it.
We all love our sport, but over the years each of us may have had (close calls) or know people/ heard of others who were not as fortunate. We ride the fine line between exhileration (nearing spiritual) to certain death. Thus, it is important to emphasize skills development, take classes, read about technique, and wear ATGATT. We serve as models for future riders -especially our daughters. If not then they won't question getting on her teenage boyfriend's R6 without proper gear and knowledge; THAT could be tragic!
Continue on and have fun riding with your daughter!
pgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #171
cenglebardt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
What a beautiful thread this is. Yah, so I had a little Vodka and spent the last hour listening to my singer/songwriter daughters videos on YouTube(her name is Terra Naomi), with tears in my eyes and overwhelming pride, and then I went to AdvRider for my daily fix and came upon this beautiful thread. Yah, kids, bikes, life is good. Carry on.
cenglebardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #172
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog
This belongs on page 1....
timk519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #173
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgods
In a heartbeat I would give my life for her. I never anticipated or understood this kind of love.
Yeah, I was not even remotely prepared for it... Like you though, it would be a no brainer. The same is true for the little dude. Being privileged to experience this, I am heart broken for all those parents and kids that are not so lucky. It has also made me really appreciate my folks a LOT more. I remember growing up that no matter what happened or how much trouble I knew I was going to be in when I got home, there was NEVER even a hint of doubt that my parents loved me completely and unconditionally. It simply never even occurred to me that they might not love me. Of course like any good kid, I totally took that for granted when growing up. My folks were far from perfect, but that is cool. Now I realize what a treasure their love has been, more than anything else they ever gave me. I hope to pass that along to our kids.

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #174
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenglebardt
What a beautiful thread this is. Yah, so I had a little Vodka and spent the last hour listening to my singer/songwriter daughters videos on YouTube(her name is Terra Naomi), with tears in my eyes and overwhelming pride, and then I went to AdvRider for my daily fix and came upon this beautiful thread. Yah, kids, bikes, life is good. Carry on.
Your daughter ROCKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz09n...e=user&search=

And she has a sense of humour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEqex...e=user&search=

However I really like this song... You must be so proud of your talented daughter!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN5FlQ82H0A&NR=1

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #175
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
Bump! Just for the folks who haven't seen this yet.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #176
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,112
Does this have to be limited to spending time together on motorcycles?

The best thing I have ever done in my life is raise two kids (and help with several others!). They are my best friends; who else do you have more in common with????

And I love spending time with my son, too!

We have had a splendid time growing up together.... I've promised them that I will completely spoil their children with affection and adventures, just like I've done with them.

I check in on this thread every week or so and damn if I don't get all teary-eyed every time I read through it. This is without doubt the best thread I've seen on the internet.

Doug
Old 07-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #177
cenglebardt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
SteveRed---I appreciate your comments. Gonna have to pull a Neil Pert and follow her around to her gigs on my F800S. The things we have to do for our kids!
cenglebardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #178
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,129
LUCKY DAD

I'm finding that it's a slow process with mine too.

RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:14 PM   #179
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 885
I've been a long time lurker here and just recently joined. I was going to start a new thread about my bike, me etc. But then I read this thread and it seemed like a perfect place for my first post. I'm a father of two girls...5 and 10. My oldest is quiet and reserved and my youngest is loud, head strong, and the daredevil of the two. But, when they both asked me for a ride the other day around the neighborhood I couldn't resist. Now they're hooked. My oldest wants to go with me all of the time. Of course I have to go out and get her some gear before that happens. My little one is relagated to sitting in front of me for little 5 mph rides down the block. All in due time.

btw - before people start yelling at me I'm (as well as passengers) usually ATTGATT.

The oldest

the youngest.

onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:19 PM   #180
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,352
This has got to be the best thread running on Adv Rider at the moment.