ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #2266
madjak30
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvshoem View Post
Been lurking for a bit and finally ran across this thread. I've read every post - VERY inspiring!

My twelve-year-old daughter Emily and I made our first trip together around Colorado and northern New Mexico this past summer. If you want to know what your kid is made of, put her on the back of a motorcycle, cover over 3,000 miles in 12 days in temperatures ranging from 28 to 95 degrees, feed her dehydrated meals, make her sleep on the ground, deprive her of all electronics and crash the bike twice. Turns out Emily is made of the right stuff - she can't wait to do it again. I could not be more proud of her.

Departure day...

One of our many Continental Divide crossings...

Wolf Creek Pass mid-day on day four...

Emily with her head lamp...

Looking forward to our next ride this summer!
Awesome story...I'm hoping to do this type of trip with my 13yo this summer (minus the crashing...) Have to convince wifey to allow her to ride with me...

Later.

Riding since May 2010
2006 Yamaha MT-01
2003 Suzuki GS500 (SOLD)
madjak30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #2267
firemanswilson61
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvshoem View Post
Been lurking for a bit and finally ran across this thread. I've read every post - VERY inspiring!

My twelve-year-old daughter Emily and I made our first trip together around Colorado and northern New Mexico this past summer. If you want to know what your kid is made of, put her on the back of a motorcycle, cover over 3,000 miles in 12 days in temperatures ranging from 28 to 95 degrees, feed her dehydrated meals, make her sleep on the ground, deprive her of all electronics and crash the bike twice. Turns out Emily is made of the right stuff - she can't wait to do it again. I could not be more proud of her.

Departure day...

One of our many Continental Divide crossings...

Wolf Creek Pass mid-day on day four...

Emily with her head lamp...

Looking forward to our next ride this summer!

Would sooo love to do that with my 13 year old. We used to be best buddies, and now we are growing apart. Probably more my fault than hers, she has started dating and I have not accepted it very well. Not unsupervised dating, but dating none the less. I told her the other day that no one would ever be good enough for her, and she just can't understand where I am coming from!!!

Death to all the little bastards that show up to my house asking for my daughter!!!

"Hey McLintock, Swell party, where's the whiskey?" Running Buffalo

'05 KLR 650
firemanswilson61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #2268
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanswilson61 View Post
Would sooo love to do that with my 13 year old. We used to be best buddies, and now we are growing apart. Probably more my fault than hers, she has started dating and I have not accepted it very well. Not unsupervised dating, but dating none the less. I told her the other day that no one would ever be good enough for her, and she just can't understand where I am coming from!!!

Death to all the little bastards that show up to my house asking for my daughter!!!
Get used to it dad. You are going to get progressively stupider every year. This will peak when she is around 17. You will then begin to get smarter. You should be back to your full intelligence about when she turns 25YO.

My daughter lost interest in bikes around age 14. She decided to pick it up again 3 years later. At 22, she now has a dirt bike and a street bike of her own.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #2269
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:

In that case, you need to keep one of these close at hand at all times:

http://www.hightechdad.com/wp-conten...y_daughter.pdf
Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #2270
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Get used to it dad. You are going to get progressively stupider every year. This will peak when she is around 17. You will then begin to get smarter. You should be back to your full intelligence about when she turns 25YO.

Boy aint that the truth !!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #2271
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
In that case, you need to keep one of these close at hand at all times:

http://www.hightechdad.com/wp-conten...y_daughter.pdf
I love the rules . Number four is funny. I own three of these creatures , hoping they listen to me once in a while .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #2272
madjak30
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I am partial to rules two, five and six...I have three daughters, they younger two are twins...

Quote:

Just don't say that stuff to her...be her buddy...and as for the boys...firm hand shakes, stern looks and never smile...unless you actually like the kid, but let's be real here...

Later.

Riding since May 2010
2006 Yamaha MT-01
2003 Suzuki GS500 (SOLD)
madjak30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #2273
wvshoem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjak30 View Post
Awesome story...I'm hoping to do this type of trip with my 13yo this summer (minus the crashing...) Have to convince wifey to allow her to ride with me...

Later.
I'm lucky - my wife grew up around motorcycles so they don't scare her. I think the thought of dragging my daughter around on the back of a motorcycle actually gave me more heartburn than it gave my wife.
wvshoem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #2274
wvshoem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:

No better way in my mind to get closer to your daughter. You'll have a great time and by the end of the trip, she'll think you're a super hero (even if you crash a couple of times). And - you'll create some of the best memories of your lives.

Death might be a little extreme - but I think a certain level of pain and suffering is appropriate for the little horn-dogs that come sniffing around.
wvshoem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #2275
firemanswilson61
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hey guys, thanks for all the great advise. Not so sure the little bastards, I mean youngsters, can read, but if so they will need an application thats for sure.

"Hey McLintock, Swell party, where's the whiskey?" Running Buffalo

'05 KLR 650
firemanswilson61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #2276
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjak30 View Post
I am partial to rules two, five and six...I have three daughters, they younger two are twins...
Just don't say that stuff to her...be her buddy...and as for the boys...firm hand shakes, stern looks and never smile...unless you actually like the kid, but let's be real here...
One innovative tactic I heard a Dad use was to require a $100 deposit up front from the lad before he could take Dad's daughter out.

Bring her back happy and on time, and the young tyke got his money back.

Come back late, or you've been bad - and you pay the price!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #2277
spacemec
Vae autem infirma

Oddometer: 55
Little Bastards

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the great advise. Not so sure the little bastards, I mean youngsters, can read, but if so they will need an application thats for sure.

Remember all of you guys where the "little bastard" to some Dad at some point in your life.

I remember thinking when my first daughter was about 4 or 5 that any little SOB that came to take her out would get the old cleaning the gun, just released for prison act. But buy the time my girls got into high school, and that first boy showed up. You just slap him on the back and say "sorry". The poor little bastard says why! You say, it may take years but you'll find out.

spacemec screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 07:56 AM
spacemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #2278
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,791
Chatting with some of the young fellas who showed up for my daughters 16th birthday party. Several of them have actually received the fabled shotgun-cleaning, threatening, etc., lectures. In some cases it was obviously a joke which some of them thought was cool but the others told me they thought the fathers were weird ass-holes (i.e. it gained no respect) and that if they really felt threatened they would have gone to the police. The fathers who gained the respect of the young men were the ones who talked to them like adults. IMO, talking to your 14+yo daughters friends (male or female) like adults is more likely to earn her respect too.

Oh - and here's a pic of me and my daughter (not riding this time) having some good one-on-one time together over New Year
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #2279
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
I'm practicing for the day I can say "Treat my little girl well. If anything happens, just remember that I have a shotgun and a shovel and I doubt you'll be missed."
Old 01-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #2280
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Yeah, I'm wondering about all this "application_for_permission_to_date_my_daughter" stuff. Did sou forgott something? Years ago. . .

Yeah, what did the fathers say when you come to take his little girl out for dance?

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote