ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2003, 07:11 PM   #1
HarveyMushman OP
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,339
Bears!

My bride and I were riding Skyline Drive this afternoon and saw no less than four bears. The first three were a momma bear and her two cubs, munchin' on the forest floor up the hill from the road.

Momma:

Cub (a crappy pic, I know, but he's in there--look for the ears)

A few miles up the road and we rounded a corner to find a solitary bear climbing the stone wall to our left. I stopped, he stared at us, we stared back, and he crossed the road to climb the nearly vertical hill up from the right side of the road. Impressive animal.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,668
Looks like the bear is making a comeback in this area!

I remember seeing one on 647 coming back from Tgap.

Down in the low section where the one lane bridge is. I rounded the bend and saw it in the rd. My first reaction was, damn that s a husky dog. Then it dawned on me what it was.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:23 PM   #3
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,366
Nice shot. I have seen several bears on the Appalachian Trail in GA, no pics though. I was on foot and went the other way quickly.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:34 AM   #4
Crazy Ray
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Tim very nice shot of Momma. The last bear I came in contact with was up in Alaska. When that Grizly came onto the beach in front of me I turned the ATV I was riden around and went full throatal, I lost tracktion from the sht the wheels were spinning on. It was mine.

I tought I saw a pusy tat
Crazy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:58 AM   #5
HarveyMushman OP
commutingmysentence

Quote:
Said K12RSSteve:
Looks like the bear is making a comeback in this area!

I remember seeing one on 647 coming back from Tgap.

Down in the low section where the one lane bridge is. I rounded the bend and saw it in the rd. My first reaction was, damn that s a husky dog. Then it dawned on me what it was.
2 That's not exactly virgin wilderness through there.

photo galleries
Old 07-21-2003, 05:59 AM   #6
HarveyMushman OP
commutingmysentence

Quote:
Said patch29:
Nice shot. I have seen several bears on the Appalachian Trail in GA, no pics though. I was on foot and went the other way quickly.
As we left the scene of the last sighting my wife said to me over my shoulder, "I don't think I want to go hiking up here anymore."

photo galleries
Old 07-21-2003, 06:01 AM   #7
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,668
I Remember being up there on bicycles when we saw a mom and was looking at her about 20 feet off the road when we noticed 2 little black things in the tree above her.

We got the hell out of there as fast as we could. Of course we were going up hill at the time.

They are so cute though.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:49 AM   #8
PaulS
Österreicher

Oddometer: 970
bears

coincidence, I saw a black bear coming on skyline coming back from Charlottesville, near the Pinnacle picnic area about 10 feet off the road, sitting there and looking at me while I rode by.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:57 AM   #9
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
I run into them all the time. I'll come around a turn and damn near run into them on my mountain bike.
The black bears are generally scared to death of people (except on Skyline Drive, thanks to the DC folks feeding them..) and they turn tail and run.

-MM
Old 07-21-2003, 07:14 PM   #10
Ron B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Used to do quite a bit of camping in Colorado/Wyoming 'bout 20-25 years ago. (not off the bike, but I used to stash the XL350 in the camper) My then current gurlfriend, an avid backpacker, was always pissed at me 'cause I refused to tent-camp in grizzly country. (it was all she could do to get me to hike out there) Yeah, I know all the precautions. Call me a wuss, I still won't do it.

Ron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:49 AM   #11
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,517
This last Sunday we went riding with a guy I hadn't met before. Turns out that he was the guy who hit, and killed, a 300+lb bear with his truck last week about 10 miles west of Durango on US160. Totalled the front end of the truck. He was REAL glad that he wasn't riding his XR650R at the time.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:41 AM   #12
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,559
Couple of weeks ago I took the GF on her first (virgin?) ride. Damned if we didn't see a bear on Skyline too- Pretty cool! This place is growing on me.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:50 PM   #13
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,268
My wife owns some land just outside of Bloomery, West Virginia (about half an hour West of Winchester, Virginia). There are half a dozen cabins on the property, and we have a firm rule about not leaving garbage outside as there are one or more black bears that will immediately get into the trash. We haven't had to shoot one yet, but I worry that sooner or later one of them is going to get tired of waiting for trash and climb into cabin looking for a snack.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #14
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,268
And subsequent to my previous post, the bear population has continued to grow and a couple times we've found bear paw prints on the door to our cabin.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote