ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #2836
dsrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
soo good super fresh and hot!

coast food!

Tahoe Rubicon June 26-28/2009 Ride details see www.dsrider.com or email

Ideas welcome The adventure continues..... More to come as the plans are hammered out.
Fresno dual sport club wwwdsrider.com email dsriders@gmail.com

All welcome. John 3:16-17 Matt 6:33-34 SUAR www.dsrider.com we could use a camera/photographer for the ride
dsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #2837
stevele5
knight errant

Oddometer: 1,104
desert story continued

ok where was i, yes i believe chip and i are headed to ridgecrest in order to properly fix our overworked bikes. upon arriving in ridgecrest we had scouted the night before a motorcycle shop at the edge of town, we race into the parking lot and alert some kid we need triage fast, he moves s bit slower than we were hoping. checks with the tech and this old crusty guy comes out and agrees they can be fixed right now. taking the bikes around back the shop sort of looked like my side yard, well they were moving very slowly, chomping at the bit for some fast action that was not to be had. the tech (loose term) laid the dr on its side and went to work with fuel dripping out all available places onto the asphalt. oh well, he had the bolt out in no time and sent chip off to ace hardware to piuck up some new ones. back came chip with the triumphant bolt retrieval, then it was the klrs turn i was sent off to retrieve red locktite and the bolt on chips bike was heliarced? in place. we were set settled our debt 25 a piece and hauled ass up the hill to meet the others in randsburg where they were waiting for us.........................instead of heading straight there on the highway i decided to take the desert trails there, which in turn caused us to miss the group by only minutes. i had no idea how to get there or even where there was, only the directions of the shop owner, go over that hill as he pointed south. after traversing our way through all kinds of trails and washes and one steep drop off, we could see the town up on the side of the hill, with our sites set on the joyous rendevuuuuu with the others we made spemdid time only to get there and find that the crew had already left well we did not know that for sure so we had some chili fries and waited, talked to other bikers and did a couple laps around the town, gassed up in johanasburg and took a tour of a strange cemetery, winding up and back down through the otherside into randsburg, still no crew. well off we set to ride, this way and that winding our way back towards camp. in the process my jacket fell off and the bungy got twisted in the rear sprocket when i went to remove it, the sprocket was loose. after tightening it we came over the hill and down into camp, jackson was happy to see us and special k was kind of bored. cooked up a couple of nasty cheeseburgers (nasty nice) and kicked back til the rest of the crew arrived. after exchanging stories we set out the work of dinner. thanks go out to special k and steve for the tireless work they put into food prep. everybody seemed to chip in at some level, doing dishes or organizing the camp or fire management. on the menu for the evening was barbequed potatoes finished in the fire, salad with blue cheese crumbles, some regular old dressing,optopilot got these really good tomatoes, fresh chives, steaks, sour cream and charred zuchini. i think dinner was good because i was still stuffed from the nasty cheeseburger. then after all was settled we embarked on a night crusade. even though redwave was very tired, he decided to join in the foolery, so here we go, chip, me, optopilot, redwave, gforce, montibanks,tarmacter and lane set sail for a 3 hour ride. just to go slow and check things out, none of us had any clue as to where we were headed or how to get back from where we werent going. tarmacter reluctantly took the lead in second gear of course, never looked back until lane decided to go trail diving, got a little booboo on his shoulder and it was time to pack injured lane and tired redwave back to camp.........................well, not so fast, montibanks pulls me over and says does this look right to you and i said no and kept right on going. after finding ourselves going deep into a wet sand canyon, it looked like the trail was getting worse and worse, lane was having some trouble in the wet slow sand and i could barely keep the dr upright, after a quick powwow, we headed out of the canyon back up to some easier terrain, missed the turn by a few miles and back tracked to the trail leading down down down to garlock road and safely back to camp

Rule # 2 Spy the guy in your eye before you fly at the Y.

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

http://www.centralvalleyds.com/

stevele5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #2838
chip
Follow Me

Oddometer: 1,763
K calls him sensible steve for a reason...

Actually Optopilot didn't go on the night ride, he had the common sense to stay in the camp next to the fire...
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #2839
stevele5
knight errant

Oddometer: 1,104
oops

thanks for the correction

Rule # 2 Spy the guy in your eye before you fly at the Y.

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

http://www.centralvalleyds.com/

stevele5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #2840
dsrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Nice vid Isellers tom & i were enjoying it! Great sound track too!

Today, 02:20 PM #2835
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 587

a memory bubble just hit me and i passed out last night and i guess i uploaded my video to youtube. I was going to up it to josh's ftp tonight. hmm oh well. here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oa1skgrz1w

Ideas welcome The adventure continues..... More to come as the plans are hammered out.

All welcome. John 3:16-17 Matt 6:33-34 SUAR www.dsrider.com we could use a camera/photographer for the ride
Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #2841
chip
Follow Me

Nice clip lane. I'm still trying to get mine on the site.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #2842
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,504
that riverbed was a challenge. It was hard. I couldn't go fast enough to stay on top because it was dark, it was tight in some areas, rocks and boulders scattered about (josh launched himself sideways on one) - monti was helping me up as i could no longer lift up my bike myself and we saw another light ahead coming back go up... up... UP....sidewa.. sidways... and then down.

What Steve calls the 'easy' way out was kind of easy but had SOME semi-technical climbs and decents. Call me crazy but I honestly had the most fun during the night ride. We saw mice scurry infront of us as our bikes screamed past. Someone said they saw Batman, others saw dogs/wolves and other creatures. Shadowy figurs sprawled out from the distant light and I actually think I hit the ghost of an ancient traveler which is what high sided me.

We cross refrenced 3 trailheads to find ourselves on the map, triangulated our position... as we got closer to camp things started to look familiar (even at dark). We knew we were getting close. We were never lost because of two reasons: 1. we were exploring and 2. we had a map.

The second I saw pavement I mouthed inside my helmet OH THANK YOU JESUS and cracked the bike open wide accelerating past a few people and found myself behind a familiar ass - Steve!

We made it to camp, there was much rejoicing and it felt like we had accomplished something.

One of the best quotes of the day came from "gforce" and it couldn't be more true. "Steve sure does find the oddest places to pass".

I wish I had figured out the video camera earlier and got more videos. There were some fun times. Josh and I kept a pretty good pace in one section. I would have liked to have relived the mud puddles I launched over, whoops i flew off of into corners and getting wild a few times. It takes me a while to get warmed up.
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #2843
Mattb2bz
Metal Man

Oddometer: 197
Thumb Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsellers
a memory bubble just hit me and i passed out last night and i guess i uploaded my video to youtube. I was going to up it to josh's ftp tonight. hmm oh well. here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oa1skgrz1w
Nice video... with wide angle view too. Wish I could have made that ride. What camera were you using?
39 Indian Stroker Scout

Mattb2bz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #2844
lsellers
a DSRIDER

I have no idea. I'll look when I get home.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #2845
dsrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Riding & track day?

us laggers want to ride this weekend Sat Sunday is buttonwillow track any takers?
http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/

Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #2846
lsellers
a DSRIDER

now i'm depressed! Maybe it's a mixed blessing and a sign to save money! Yah thats it! I'll go and play photo or something.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #2847
tarmacter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Montibank, I added your pics to the gallery.

Lsellers, cool video(you should send it to me so I can put in in the gallery)! It'll be cool to play around with different angles next time, now that you're familiar with the settings and all. It was cool riding that fast section with you, we'll have to do that again.... :)

Steve, your memory is amazing...lol...I had already forgotten a bunch of those details!

Rob, I will call you right now...I got a little busy earlier. Buttonwillow sounds cool...my X-Moto is feeling a little neglected right now too...hmm.
tarmacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #2848
Daytona_Rider
You should be racing

Oddometer: 1,099
Hey Tarmactor,

I took my X to the track with the SUMO setup and WOW what a fun time I had!

You should try it.
AFM #993 Come out and support the sport of motorcyling; attend an AFM Race Weekend!

Death Valley Ride(s) Rock

Dennis Carner Memorial Ride

Death Valley Video

1991 Honda NC30 (Racing sweetness) #993
2007 R1200GS Adventure: King of the World IMHO
Daytona_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #2849
shazamdrz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Saturday Ride

Blue Canyon Tollhouse area. Then maybe over to Jose Basin (topside). This Saturday.

Layne, I am digging the rims. Very cool.
shazamdrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #2850
chip
Follow Me

Josh, I'm trying to send you a video of the first secion of day 1. Something has going terribly wrong with my camera software and I can't put the videos on my computer. Let me know if you get it at this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacter
JP, awesome! I hope everyone follows your lead. It would be so cool to have a few years worth or ride photos on there. Talk about some inspiration!

You will probably need to send me the really large files. Just use this link: http://sbdforms.com/view.php?id=23

chip screwed with this post 02-24-2009 at 08:57 PM