ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #916
Daytona_Rider
You should be racing

Oddometer: 1,099
FYI, The wife and I are going to Death Valley next week - Tuesday through Friday. Going to do some street and maybe dirt road riding. If anyone's in the area do look us up! We'll be on the GSA and little GS Dakar. Kind of my "maiden voyage" with my knee. Doctor said street was good to go, but no dirt yet - meaning no trail riding ... But hell, after three months any riding is good riding!

Cheers
DR
AFM #993 Come out and support the sport of motorcyling; attend an AFM Race Weekend!

Death Valley Ride(s) Rock

Dennis Carner Memorial Ride

Death Valley Video

1991 Honda NC30 (Racing sweetness) #993
2007 R1200GS Adventure: King of the World IMHO
Daytona_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #917
Quadsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
tempting but no

Thought twice bout buying that husky 510 damn its a sick looking bike, keyword looking! i just dont want to have to pay an arm and a leg for the service and parts. plus there was a few little things that botherd me, probably more down the road. not to worry you will soon see me on a dual sport as soon as the next shipment comes into clawson myself and two of my buddies getting the 09 drz400 sm/ a set of dirt tires of course!
Quadsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #918
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadsport
Thought twice bout buying that husky 510 damn its a sick looking bike, keyword looking! i just dont want to have to pay an arm and a leg for the service and parts. plus there was a few little things that botherd me, probably more down the road. not to worry you will soon see me on a dual sport as soon as the next shipment comes into clawson myself and two of my buddies getting the 09 drz400 sm/ a set of dirt tires of course!
I'll sell you a very well used street legal husaberg. It's not currently running, but it looks nice. :) $1200 cheap!! 2002 FE650e with the FX650e exhaust and jetting.

*disclaimer* This berg is a POS, if it never runs I am not repsonsable for your disappointment.

Lookie Lookie what I got!!

montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #919
El Viejo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Really Bitchin' 530

That is one fine motorcycle. I am droolin..... I bet you are "the pimp" on the block. Have fun dude.
El Viejo
05 300EXC
07 450 Rhino
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #920
Madera4x4
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I wish I had got one.

I went to wilsons to look at dualsports and the only thing they said they had was KLR650 and KTM950. They told me KTM didn't make a dualsport in the 500cc range...oh well guess they didn't want my money.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #921
powerman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madera4x4
I went to wilsons to look at dualsports and the only thing they said they had was KLR650 and KTM950. They told me KTM didn't make a dualsport in the 500cc range...oh well guess they didn't want my money.
KTM has the 530 and a 450. Go to another dealer, DH in Modesto is good. I'm really happy with my '04 525. Just don't get a KLR, please.
powerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #922
Madera4x4
n00b

I already got a 07 DRZ400S maybe next time I'll got with the KTM
KLR oh yeah I already found out the hard way on one of those.Exhaust fell off at 200 miles and it would drink a quart of oil every 500 miles and wilsons said it was normal even after 5000 miles.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #923
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
The DRZ400SM has a 17" front tire. Do they make 17" front tire knobbies or do you plan to change out the wheel as well?

Unless I'm wrong, it would seem the DRZ400S would be a better choice than the SM.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #924
Madera4x4
n00b

I looked for a extra set of used "S" wheels and they are still $800+ with out tires.I never could find and "SM" wheels.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #925
Quadsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
The DRZ400SM has a 17" front tire. Do they make 17" front tire knobbies or do you plan to change out the wheel as well?

Unless I'm wrong, it would seem the DRZ400S would be a better choice than the SM.

A whole dirt setup with tire wheel and rotor, i can get out the door with pipe and all that for way less than one of these european bikes. and it will be Reliable nd easy to service. plus the sm comes with a better braking package than the s
Quadsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #926
powerman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
A whole dirt setup with tire wheel and rotor, i can get out the door with pipe and all that for way less than one of these european bikes. and it will be Reliable nd easy to service. plus the sm comes with a better braking package than the s

Get what you like, but be carefull putting down the euro bikes. My KTM's have been really good, every bit as reliable as my Hondas. In fact as far as reliability goes the last 4 bikes I've seen have problems were DRs. I'm not starting a war, just stating my experience.
I hope I don't jinx myself.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #927
Madera4x4
n00b

Oh powerman you did it now...the DR gods are going to strike you down
You your going to break down and the only other person to help you will be on a DR
Can't we all just get along and ride
Old 02-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #928
powerman
Studly Adventurer

I hope I don't break down, but if I do I've got alot deposited in the Karma bank. I've helped a bunch of riders in need over the years, I just hope I get to reap the help I've sown.
I had a DR back in the day, it never left me stranded, in fact once I rolled it off the truck and went for help when my buddy's truck broke down. It just struck me as ironic that the "euros" get a bad rap, but we know 3 people (I won't name names) who have had major problems with DRs lately, in addition to a buddy of mine who's 400 won't quit spitting oil.
Like I said, just an observation. Besides, I would welcome help from a guy on a DR. A KLR on the other hand...
Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #929
Madera4x4
n00b

Well if thats the case I will Not say how my DR is doing in hopes that it will stay the way it is.Nothing agaist any bike here..heck might be riding a KTM is wilsons didn't play games.New here on offroad two wheels hopefuly my Karma from my quad days will roll over.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #930
tr1200
High Side

Oddometer: 862
Hey you bunch bunch of Hooligans!
Been offline for a bit. Just got my wife home from the hospital last night and she's recovering at home now. Trying to get caught up on things at work (and play) now.

Montibanks-
Congrats! KTM SWEET! ME LIKEY! But just to clarify, the 530 is more comparable to the TE510, which is E-start and kick. It has standard rockers in lieu of shim/bucket so valve adjusts are like the Berg. The 610 is more comparable to the KTM690 (or the LC4 640 of previouws years). Maybe the BMW guys were stearing you away from the 510 'cause all the road miles we put on (?). Anyhow, you got a sweet bike and I WANT THE BERG. CALL ME. I know the 550 I got was the right year to get, but I'm confident I can get the old 650 in good shape.

Concerning our April ride in the EAST Mojave, it's a long way from Dove Springs. Base camp is 80 miles from Las Vegas NV. There is no problem with the toy hauler and no permits are required. Maybe later tonight I can get help downloading a map (wink wink littlemisssunshine).

And I'm with Powerman on the "Euros". Best bang-for-the-buck. My 2005 FE550E Husaberg has been great and was $6800 OTD in 2005 (a Honda CRF450 was $7200 that year). I did blow a head gasket last year due to my own stupidity. But for 3 years it's been beat in desert temp's in the high 120 deg. range, highsided on the 41 freeway, looped backwards on the 180 freeway and still reaches 105mph on the straights (verified by Calikatoom's GPS on the SLO ride). And no stock 450 will accelerate as hard.

Just my .02. Your results may vary
HST
tr1200 is offline   Reply With Quote