User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Anybody Haul Bikes In A Honda Ridgeline?

We're thinking of getting a Ridgeline so we can haul a thumper and a scooter when we tow our teardrop camper. I just wanted to know if anyone's done this, and if one or more bikes will fit in the bed.

Cheers,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
bikeslut
adventurous stud

Oddometer: 1,655
well, I don't have a ridgeline, but in the commercial they show two CRFs in the back if I'm not mistaken.

In my 150, I have fit 3 full size bikes and two pitbikes
Old 07-22-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
pooterhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
If your gonna haul stuff buy a real truck.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:29 AM   #4
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterhead
I'll try to aviod having this kicked to Jo mamma....I have an '07 Ridgeline and it will haul 1500 pounds and tow 5000. Truck enough for me with Honda build quality. I didn't want or need a full size truck so it fits the bill. I love it.

I think you would be fine hauling one bike, two would be very tight, but most of that depends on how you set the truck up with front wheel chocks, etc. You will need to leave the tailgate down in almost every circumstance. It is not a long bed for sure.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:58 AM   #5
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterhead
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:19 AM   #6
BWalker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
[QUOTE=jambie]We're thinking of getting a Ridgeline so we can haul a thumper and a scooter when we tow our teardrop camper. I just wanted to know if anyone's done this, and if one or more bikes will fit in the bed.

I had (key word here) an 06 Ridgeline. I never hauled any bike in the bed but did tow them on a trailer. I don't care if it is rated at 5000 lbs., I don't like driving down the interstate in 3rd gear, which is the gear it wanted to use while towing. It also REQUIRED premium gas while towing. I really liked everything about the Ridgeline except the towing. I now have a new Silverado and it doesn't even know the trailer is back there.
Pittsburg,Tx
BWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Friend hauls his KTM640, and a KLR650 in his at the same time. Has done TX to AR, NM, CO. Picked up his Multistrada when he got it. Not reported any problems.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
measure the bed and tailgate and see if you're going to have enough room with the trailer attached to haul the bikes and be able to turn. Might have to put the bike in sideways. I know my crew cab tacoma I can't tow a trailer and have a fullsize bike in the bed
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,899
[quote=BWalker]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie
///I had (key word here) an 06 Ridgeline. I never hauled any bike in the bed but did tow them on a trailer. I don't care if it is rated at 5000 lbs., I don't like driving down the interstate in 3rd gear, which is the gear it wanted to use while towing. It also REQUIRED premium gas while towing. I really liked everything about the Ridgeline except the towing. I now have a new Silverado and it doesn't even know the trailer is back there.
Most mid-size SUV tow ratings are pure BS. They're rated without using Overdrive, and with a load-leveling hitch. Plus some of them don't even have real tow packages, with big radiators, trans fluid coolers, etc: the tow package is a hitch and a wiring harness.

You should be able to get a phenomenal deal on the Ridgeline. They've been anchored to the showroom floor since introduction and are currently carrying a $3,500 dealer incentive. Even the Ford Exploder Sport Trac is a hot seller by comparison. The Ridgeline's looks are right up there with the V-Strom.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I've got an '06 Honda Pilot right now, and Honda requires an aux. tranny cooler and aux oil cooler to keep the warranty in force while towing. Mine is so equipped, and pulling a fully loaded landscape trailer - around 1500# - is no trouble. It runs in overdrive on the flats and downshifts to third on hills. No problem whatsoever, and gets 18-19 mpg doing so.

The teardrop camper weighs just under 1000#, and with a thumper and a scooter in the bed - maybe another 600# - I think a Ridgeline would have plenty of ass to do the job. What I'm concerned about is whether bikes fit in the back.

I've done the "real'" truck route with an F250, and was less than impressed for a number of reasons...

Honda quality in bikes and cages is unsurpassed IMHO, but I don't want to turn this into a "What's the best truck" thread.

Cheers,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #11
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Yes,,, I do it all the time. Here she is with a R1150GS in the back (STEVERINO'S, not wrecked, just delivering)

It will haul two dirt bikes snugly, but haul them it does! The Honda Ridgeline had input from the Honda Motorcycle Teams, it has both high and low cleats in the bed, spaced indentions in the face of the bed for the front tire and the "rails" in the bed floor are wide and spaced.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,672
isnt the ridgeline built on honda's van frame...ie the same one they use for the oddessy ?? this was the reason i went with the dodge dakota...
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #13
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Have one also and there is a fine line on...

having to abide (not exceed) the hitch weight spec's/and hauling weight or may have transmission problems. There's a chatroom about hauling with the Ridgeline but can not recall which one but several people have mentioned transmission problems when pulling trailers. In my case hauling a KLR on a good size yard trailer puts the transmission down a gear and gas milage drops very significantly to 8 or 9 mpg. (about half the normal). Around town the mpg is the pits (16 to 17). For the money I which I had bought a real truck like a small Toyota. Too me the Ridgeline is too much plastic and is more like a van.

Your best place for info are the various chatrooms, do a search for "Ridegeline Chatroom".

here's a link:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/au...cks/index.html

LewisNClark screwed with this post 07-24-2007 at 04:04 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #14
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcoop
isnt the ridgeline built on honda's van frame...ie the same one they use for the oddessy ?? this was the reason i went with the dodge dakota...
The Accura MDX, Honda Od, Pilot and Ridgeline are all based on the same frame, but they are not identical by any means. This is typical of Honda as it is with many auto manufacturers. The CRV was originaly based on the Civic platform, but they are far from identical. The Ridgline is heavily strengthened to work as a truck.

One Ridgline model (RTX) comes standard with a hitch, they all come with a tranny and steering cooler standard. The Ridgeline was not designed, nor was it intended to ever compete head to head with a Ford F-150, Chevy, Dodge, etc. It is however a very capable truck for those who do not want or need a full size beast to drive arround in with Honda build quality and clever design to boot.

I have loaded mine with #500 plus pounds of rocks and towed a trailer full of bark mulch at the same time and had no problems what so ever. I wouldn't hesitiate to put one or two bikes in the back or on a trailer and go.
My Pilot loaded with luggage and four people on a mix of interstate and secondary highways up to 77 mph or so on the slab averages almost 23 MPG. I suspect my Ridgeline will do nearly as well when it is broken in.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #15
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,935
As somebody said, measure the bike because I'm certain almost any will need you to have the tailgate down, which may interfere with the trailer.

I had a '05 Screw which I sold when I sold the trailer. The ridgline fits the bill better for us as a driver and occasional trackbike hauler. Better mileage, ride, quality, price, etc. The screw beats the ridgeline hands down as a tow vehicle. Depends what you need. Or want.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: