User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #16
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,971
I towed a trailer with 3 motorcycles, and a full load of camping gear and people with my Odyssey VAN through the Blue Mountains in the hot summer. I had to add octane booster and shift into 2nd on the hills. It was overloaded.

I regularly tow the trailer with 2 bikes and enough gear for a day trip and that is NO PROBLEM. The Odyssey is rated for towing 2000 lb.

Just guessing that the Ridgeline would pull your load OK.

Not sure what else the bed in the Ridgeline could be used for....
dhally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #17
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
I put an XR650R in the back of mine, no issues. Could easily hold two dirt bikes.

The tail gate is fairly high, get a long ramp if you have a heavy bike. Great tie down anchors (6) and 4 bed lights, you know about the big trunk for gear.

BTW, I only have 4500 miles on mine, but have no buyers remorse at all. I'd buy another one in a second.

Quick review: Great vehicle for me, as I only need a pick up bed occasionally. It is mostly used as a family hauler (super safe for my little kids). Great ride/handling! Gas mileage could be better 15/16 city 20/21 road. These things are really versatile. They are enough of a "truck" for 90% of truck buyers. A bit plasticy on the interior, but I'm coming from an 1994 Mercedes, so most newer japanese cars seem that way to me. We just got back from a camping trip with the kids, worked perfectly.

Probably not the most ideal vehicle for heavy towing, but your load sounds well within it's range for moderate useage.

BTW It's true competitor is the Ford Sport Trac, not really F250's or Tundra's.

Good luck
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #18
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterhead
If your gonna haul stuff buy a real truck.
Yeah, buy a POS "American" truck to keep those turd union workers overpaid!!!!!!!
xr400r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #19
huhwhye
So when we going?

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalslowpoke
I put an XR650R in the back of mine, no issues. Could easily hold two dirt bikes.
Good luck
What's the difference between 2 dirt bikes in the bed and 2 fat guys in the back seat.
ABC#8265
2005 Yamaha FZ-1
1995 R100 GS
1998 Yamaha YZF400
2006 TTR-125
huhwhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #20
huhwhye
So when we going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie
I've got an '06 Honda Pilot right now, and Honda requires an aux. tranny cooler and aux oil cooler to keep the warranty in force while towing. Mine is so equipped, and pulling a fully loaded landscape trailer - around 1500# - is no trouble. It runs in overdrive on the flats and downshifts to third on hills. No problem whatsoever, and gets 18-19 mpg doing so.

Cheers,
Tom
That kind of performance and economy is unimpressive and pretty ordinary. I guess what it comes down to is that I expect more from Honda and certainly a truck.
ABC#8265
2005 Yamaha FZ-1
1995 R100 GS
1998 Yamaha YZF400
2006 TTR-125
Old 07-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #21
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhye
That kind of performance and economy is unimpressive and pretty ordinary. I guess what it comes down to is that I expect more from Honda and certainly a truck.
Hmmmm...

Maybe I'm out of touch with the truck-SUV world, but I didn't think there were too many 8-passenger vehicles with a high level of refinement that get 22-23 mpg unloaded, and 17-19 while towing an admittedly light load. I'm looking at the Ridgeline because I have to drive it even when I'm not towing, and no full size domestic truck I've driven or ridden in can compare in build quality, ride quality, quietness, and comfort of my Pilot.

Cheers,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #22
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hmmmm...

Maybe I'm out of touch with the truck-SUV world, but I didn't think there were too many 8-passenger vehicles with a high level of refinement that get 22-23 mpg unloaded, and 17-19 while towing an admittedly light load. I'm looking at the Ridgeline because I have to drive it even when I'm not towing, and no full size domestic truck I've driven or ridden in can compare in build quality, ride quality, quietness, and comfort of my Pilot.

Cheers,
Tom
The Ridgeline is quiet and rides/handles very well. It really drives more like a car than a truck. It is almost "fun" to drive on bumpy, mountain, twisty roads (kind of like a dual sport, compared to a sport bike). No bouncing over bumps like most "real" trucks.

It sounds like it might be a good fit for you. MPG is a bit lower than I expected, but that is really the only negative. I'd plan on 15 city/21 on the road (not towing!). It does weigh 4500lbs....or so. Some have reported better mpg, and maybe it will get better with more miles, but I''m not expecting it.

I don't consider it an 8 passenger vehicle... maybe you meant 5.

Three other factors sealed it for me

1) It's a Honda (reliable, resale, blah blah)
2) very high safety ratings.
3) It is an ULEV (ultra low emissions vehicle).

I think I picked up mine for $24k OTD (base model). Again, I'd buy another if mine got wrecked/stolen whatever.

Maybe check out the Ford Sportrac. That looks is a similar market vehicle, maybe cheaper.

Cheers
Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #23
huhwhye
So when we going?

Quote:
Hmmmm...

Cheers,
Tom
Just a question. Why are you comparing the Ridgeline to fullsize domestic trucks? Why not compare them to the smaller more comparatively sized "trucks"? Or import trucks for that matter? Sounds like apples to oranges to me.
ABC#8265
2005 Yamaha FZ-1
1995 R100 GS
1998 Yamaha YZF400
2006 TTR-125
Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #24
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for your input on your Ridgeline. I was referring to my Pilot when I mentioned 8 passengers. From what I understand, the Pilot and the Ridgeline are identical except for the body type. I routinely get 22mpg on the highway, 19-20 in the city. Maybe the Ridgeline is geared a bit shorter...

It sounds like the Ridgeline wil work perfectly. Now I've got to see about getting a Husky TE510 and a Honda Metropolitan or Yamaha Vino for the Wifey. Sadly, that will mean the 'Bird will have to go eventually.

Bummer.

Cheers,
Tom

jambie screwed with this post 08-21-2007 at 10:06 PM
Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #25
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhye
Just a question. Why are you comparing the Ridgeline to fullsize domestic trucks? Why not compare them to the smaller more comparatively sized "trucks"? Or import trucks for that matter? Sounds like apples to oranges to me.
I guess I was responding to those who suggested I get a "real" truck. Not sure how many small trucks have the comfort of the Ridgeline. My intent with this post was to find out if the Ridgeline would carry two dirtbikes or a dirtbike and a scooter. I'm considering the Ridgeline because it's the nearest suitable vehicle to my Pilot, which I dearly LOVE!

Cheers,
Tom
Old 07-24-2007, 06:59 AM   #26
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
I guess I was responding to those who suggested I get a "real" truck. Not sure how many small trucks have the comfort of the Ridgeline. My intent with this post was to find out if the Ridgeline would carry two dirtbikes or a dirtbike and a scooter. I'm considering the Ridgeline because it's the nearest suitable vehicle to my Pilot, which I dearly LOVE!

Cheers,
Tom
when I was looking it was down to a ridgeline or a tacoma. I like the tacoma because it had the console and more sporty seats whereas the ridgeline had minivan-ish front seats with no real console and open from side to side. Rear comfort was similar with a slight edge going to the ridgeline. Something about the angle of the honda seat didn't fit me right. The ridgeline had the cool foldup rear seat that allowed tons of storage which at the time was a huge bonus but now I'm glad I took the storage compartments in the tacoma instead because I use them. The tacoma has an insane amount of cupholders.....13 of them if you're into that I went with the tacoma for better towing capacity and more "inclement" weather options like traction control, locker, downhill assist control, the plugin in the bed, real off-road package, and a bunch of other little things. The looks, gear selector, great seats and the interior were icing on the cake for me. The tacoma while extremely comfortable is still a truck and with the off-road package is a bit stiffer than the ridgeline which to me rode like a lifted minivan which is what many are looking for
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #27
VascoMerlin
He'll Stab Your Cat

Oddometer: 413
For the same price I would get a Toyota Tacoma. I work for Toyota and Honda, have extensive experiance with both, and I currently own a Pilot. The one big plus with the Ridgeline is the "2 dead bodies" sized trunk. But while giving that up with the Toyota, you gain a solid rear axle and a leaf spring suspension.
You sacrafice a cushy ride, but the handling, load chactaristics and towing are greatly improved.
The interior in both cases are comparable, with the Toyota being less contemporary.
IMO the Honda was designed for the housewife to go pick up flowers and the kids at the same time.

www.revzilla.com
VascoMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #28
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney
IMO the Honda was designed for the housewife to go pick up flowers and the kids at the same time.
I'm not going to get in a Tacoma vs Ridgeline debate, (plenty out there on the internets) and I really like Toyotas & Tacomas. I have to say your statement is actually very true as the Ridgeline was designed for 90% of how folks actually use the vehicle 90% of the time, not for some "I'm a tough guy, I need a truck" image. It excels in real world driving. If I was a contractor (I'd probably get an old T100), and/or towed heavy loads, I'd have bought something else.

BTW some housewives, especially those that ride and/or use a pick up bed for "manly" chores or hobbies beyond picking up flowers, might find your statement immature.

Oh, and it is great for picking up the kids!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #29
huhwhye
So when we going?

You can get what you like. Of course a ridgeline can carry what you ask. You are not talking about much of a load. You should be able to carry 2 full size bikes in a light duty "truck". I've had my GS and the SV in the back of my friends last gen smaller Tacoma.

I have my own biases I admit, but have them for what I feel to be good reason based on how we use trucks in my circle.

Sometimes you need the toughness a real truck provides, sometimes you don't. I'm willing to trade what is percieved as "harshness" for the function that I need. To me its not even a trade off. A set of HD bilsteins and it rides fine.

You can get a ridgeline if you like. My quesitons are

1. Does the ridgeline have anything to level the rear suspension with a heavier load?

2. will you keep the Pilot?
ABC#8265
2005 Yamaha FZ-1
1995 R100 GS
1998 Yamaha YZF400
2006 TTR-125
Old 07-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #30
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not sure about the load leveling capabilities...that is something to consider. A thumper and a scooter plus the tongue weight of the teardrop (only about 125-150 pounds) should total around 750 pounds? Any Ridgeline owners have a thought about this weight on the rear end?

As far as the Pilot goes, I'm considering getting the Ridgeline to replace it when my lease is up, so it would be my daily driver when I'm not riding.

Cheers,
Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: