Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
spicychili OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
ZUMO MC Mount Security Screw

Any one had to replace one of these yet? If so where do you get them?

Or should I just forget it and get the TT zumo mount?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
John Harden
Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Re: Security screw

I just bought the Zumo, and it should arrive this week, so I'm interested in this answer as well. Isn't the screw just a tiny one that you could find at a properly equipped hardware store?

What are your impressions of the Zumo so far? How did you wind up mounting it to your bike?

Regards,

John
John Harden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
spicychili OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It is a small screw with a special tool for use so you cant just use a phillips head screw driver or something to take it off.

I have a MC mount using the standard 1 inch ram ball on both of my bikes.

Love the unit. I actually use it quite often in the car when I travel as well.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Grumpmeister
Intrepid Gaucho

Oddometer: 32
I just got my Zumo about 2 months ago, and almost immediately got so frustrated with the security screw that I ordered the locking TT mount. I'm pretty happy with the decision, as it is much easy to mount/unmount the Zumo and provides a little more theft-protection when stopped (though I do take the Zumo with me if I'm going to be away from the bike for any length of time). The TT mount is pricey, but then again, so is the Zumo!
Grumpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
If you're into replacing your SD memory card, fiddling with the security screw is a pain... I eased my pain with the TT locking mount. And you don't want to ride without the screw fastened in case you hit a good bump, and the locking tab pops open and bye bye zumo.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
spicychili OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
If you're into replacing your SD memory card, fiddling with the security screw is a pain... I eased my pain with the TT locking mount. And you don't want to ride without the screw fastened in case you hit a good bump, and the locking tab pops open and bye bye zumo.
Yeah I took the screw out of the mount on the other bike before I went out. I have been thinking about the TT mount. I might just have to get one and forget about the screw. It is kind of a pain in the ass to mess with.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
John Harden
Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Re: Security screw

My concern with the TT mount is it is sorty fugly. Well made, but seems awful bulky. I think I'll wait till the Zumo arrives then mount it with the stock gear they give you, try that out for awhile, then go from there.

How quick is it to disconnect the Zumo using the stock setup? Do I need to unscrew it each time? I'm wondering about going into work and leaving it out front all day, into restaurants, etc.
John Harden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
spicychili OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harden
My concern with the TT mount is it is sorty fugly. Well made, but seems awful bulky. I think I'll wait till the Zumo arrives then mount it with the stock gear they give you, try that out for awhile, then go from there.

How quick is it to disconnect the Zumo using the stock setup? Do I need to unscrew it each time? I'm wondering about going into work and leaving it out front all day, into restaurants, etc.
Using the Motorcycle mount you need to unscrew it every time you want to remove it. The Car mount doesnt have the locking screw.

Leaving it on your bike with just the screw in place wont prevent it from being stolen. Even the locking TT mount wont prevent it from being stolen for that matter. It will just make it harder to get off the bike. If someone wants to take it, no matter how it is mounted it is going to be taken.

EDIT: I believe the locking screw is more to prevent the clamp from opening up while heading down the road. Since there is no lanyard to have extra security if it should decide to jump from the mount the screw is a must on the motorcycle, unless you have a TT mount.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
with the TT mount, you slip the key and flip the locking tab up or down.. zumo's in and out in a second.. I wouldn't leave the unit on the bike if I'm at work all day..

you could leave it locked into the cradle, and remove the whole cradle and zumo with the quick release RAM arm, without removing zumo from it's cradle.. but to swap out the memory card which holds my music, the little screw is a big pain to screw in and screw out.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
ride-n-the world
out of place adv rider

Oddometer: 620
there is a post at the top ;of the zumo forums as a sticky. A guy is making thumb screws that replace the stock screw. It has lots of positive review. Funny though, I ordered mine and got it. On my way out to the garage to install it, I dropped it in the yard and lost it!!!
ride-n-the world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #11
mtrrnn
Paladin

Oddometer: 104
Here is the link to the replacement screw that does not use a special tool...

http://zumoforums.com/zumo/viewtopic.php?t=1153

I have not ordered one, so I can't tell you if it's better or not. I do keep 2 of the special tools on the bike, just in case.

Take care,
Bob S.
mtrrnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
exlogger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I got fed up with the tiny screw, I can hardly see the thing. I got the non locking TT mount. Didn't see a reason for the lock because I never leave my Zumo unatended.
exlogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
CapoOwner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrrnn
Here is the link to the replacement screw that does not use a special tool...

http://zumoforums.com/zumo/viewtopic.php?t=1153

I have not ordered one, so I can't tell you if it's better or not. I do keep 2 of the special tools on the bike, just in case.

Take care,
Bob S.
I have this one and it works fine. You can easily screw it in and out for added "unintended release" protection on the stock mount. It is quick to remove when you want to take the Zumo off the bike at a lunch stop, etc.; it obviously does not provide any security protection. Also, as stated above for $9.50 its just a tiny screw (but easier to manage than the even smaller stock security screw) that I will certainly lose at some point so I probably should have ordered 2 since the price comes down with quantity.

For $10 its worth the added protection with only minor time loss due to removing the screw to remove the Zumo.
CapoOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #14
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,502
I'm not up for paying $9.50 for a screw.

Anyone know if it's a standard #2-56 thread or 1.6mm?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
cheff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
+1 on the TT mount!!!

I mounted the TT mount to the Ram mount, and the Ram mount is bolted to the SW-motek dash mount. I am using a locking knob on the Ram.
Here are some pics of it on the bike.

What do you all think?
'04 XR650 Sold 30K miles
cheff is offline   Reply With Quote