User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #31
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,085
I use the Garmin mount and don't have a problem with the weird little screw. It does screw itself down while riding, but that just makes it harder to steal I guess, not to mention less likely to fall off...

The screwdriver has just turned into one of the items I carry all the time.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #32
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,731
Well I lost the DAM screw today! I loosened it up to remove the Zumo.
Went for a rdie without the Zumo and between here and there the screw went AWOL.
I am heading to a Ace hardware store tomorrow to find a M2 screw and rig a new one up.
On the plus side i wont need the special garmin screwdriver any more!

Growing older every day but never growing up.

NMOHVA, COHVCO, AMA
CaptRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #33
G-man17
The Devil Drives!

Oddometer: 2,532
Go with the Touratech mount. It locks--not impossible to steal but certainly a good deterrent--and it is very secure while riding. The Garmin mount will frustrate you.
G-man17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #34
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrrnn
Here is the link to the replacement screw that does not use a special tool...

http://zumoforums.com/zumo/viewtopic.php?t=1153

I have not ordered one, so I can't tell you if it's better or not. I do keep 2 of the special tools on the bike, just in case.

Take care,
Bob S.
these screws are great i ordered 5 and gave a few away to friends.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #35
spicychili OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
Didn't see this answered, so here's what I did:

Went to the local hardware store and picked up a M2 screw, 20mm long plus 4 nuts for it (the nuts provide a bit more grip). Blue Loc-tite on the nuts and I now have a replacement security screw.

Think the whole thing cost $1.25.
Just did the same thing. Ace Hardware has them.

Made two of them just in case.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #36
trscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Zumo 550 issues...

I've been using the Zumo 550 for a couple months. I keep the security screwdriver handy, and it isn't too big a nuisance. Just takes a few seconds to spin it in or out. It seems to be captive, so I don't expect to lose it.

As for security, I decided that the bigger risk than the security screw was the Ram mount clamp knob. I was about to get the locking Ram knob, and then I realized that it was a matter of securing it against someone without tools. If someone has tools, they can just disassemble the mount clamps anyway. So I replaced the hand clamp knob with a stainless 1/4x20 lock nut with nylon insert and a couple of big stainless washers. I think I will put some thread-lock on the clamp bolts also, just to slow down someone with a Leatherman or something. I think this is just as effective as the locking knob, and eliminates carrying around another key.

The idea is that if it takes some fiddling around to get it off, that's long enough for reasonable security at a gas stop or something, but I still won't leave it anyplace dangerous for any length of time.
[-- 1996 BMW R1100GS, Aeroflow, Fastway F3, Jesse Odyssey, Garmin Zumo 550, Motorrad Elektrik 40LED taillight, Hella FF200 Fog, Kisan (P115W-S, CG-10, SM-5, 100HD), ABS Control Mods, Autocom Super Pro AVI 300, TT 35mm Bar Risers, TT GV Gearbox Hardparts, 1150 Handguards --]________o6o
trscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #37
spicychili OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by trscott
I've been using the Zumo 550 for a couple months. I keep the security screwdriver handy, and it isn't too big a nuisance. Just takes a few seconds to spin it in or out. It seems to be captive, so I don't expect to lose it.
I didnt expect to lose mine either. The screw driver isnt that big of a deal since, but all it took was one ride with out the zumo in the mount and next thing you know the screw is gone.

The M2X16mm screw with 4 hex head nuts at the top works very well.

As for security. Both the RAM ball lock and the TT lock, I can and have opened both with two paper clips in less than 30 seconds.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #38
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,012
Re security - one change I made on my Zumo mount was to replace the ball-lock nut with a nyloc nut, so some mug can't just unscrew it by hand.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #39
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,999
I just got my 550 last night and haven't even used it yet but I did look at this security screw issue. It's clearly not as much about keeping the unit from being stolen as it is about keeping the unit from unsnapping on a bumpy ride. I feel certain I can put a small piece of velcro under the RAM mount on the back and a corresponding piece on the flip lever so it'll hold the lever down very positively. I won't have to fiddle with that silly screw that way.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #40
ZR2USA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man17
Go with the Touratech mount. It locks--not impossible to steal but certainly a good deterrent--and it is very secure while riding. The Garmin mount will frustrate you.
Does the TT mount eliminate/replace the Garmin RAM mount??

I find it pretty ironic that this microscopic "security screw" does nothing to stop someone from twisting the knob counter clockwise a few turns and removing the GPS...mount and all.

...or am I missing something here?? (new zumo550 owner, sorry)
ZR2USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #41
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
The security screw has nothing to do with keeping anyone from taking the Zumo. It's only there to keep that little tab from popping open. If you want to keep someone from stealing your Zumo, put it in your pocket.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #42
ZR2USA
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru
The security screw has nothing to do with keeping anyone from taking the Zumo. It's only there to keep that little tab from popping open. If you want to keep someone from stealing your Zumo, put it in your pocket.
I see.

Any speculation as to why Garmin designed it with such a unique head that requires a special TOOL to remove it, as opposed to an ergonomic thumbscrew that would require NO tool at all? Or even a common phillips head screw...??

Old 09-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #43
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,520
Here's another source for the Zumo security screw with a knurled top. A guy on the ST-owners forum machined up a bunch of these (no connection, just passing on the info).

Only $5 each and pretty nice looking.

LINK
Attached Images

ravenranger screwed with this post 09-03-2008 at 05:13 PM
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #44
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2USA
I see.

Any speculation as to why Garmin designed it with such a unique head that requires a special TOOL to remove it, as opposed to an ergonomic thumbscrew that would require NO tool at all? Or even a common phillips head screw...??

I think it was originally intended as a feeble attempt to make people think that their $1000 gps was somehow OK if they decided to go in somewhere and grab a bite to eat. In reality, all I think it did was make a lot of people pissed when they lost that little screwdriver. That screw might slow someone down a few seconds, but they'll still get the Zumo. Better to just replace it with something easier to remove and pocket the Zumo when you leave the bike.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #45
ZR2USA
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru
I think it was originally intended as a feeble attempt to make people think that their $1000 gps was somehow OK if they decided to go in somewhere and grab a bite to eat. In reality, all I think it did was make a lot of people pissed when they lost that little screwdriver. That screw might slow someone down a few seconds, but they'll still get the Zumo. Better to just replace it with something easier to remove and pocket the Zumo when you leave the bike.
That's what I thought. if it weren't for the fact that the entire unit can be so easily removed from the RAM mount, this screw would be a GREAT idea, IMO. Not HIGH security, but certainly a deterrent to stop someone from quickly snatching the GPS when you were away from it for a few min...

Seems like this screw is a common point among the reviews I'm reading.

Still LOVE my Zumo so far, despite this minor "oversite"!

Off to buy a couple thumbscrews to replace the factory DUMBscrew...