Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
RxRick OP
Seeker of Trout

Oddometer: 273
Continental Divide 2007 (Mexico to Canada - the Hard Way)

Prologue:
It seems like I've been planning this ride forever. I put it on the calendar last summer and I started prepping for it in January (which is barely enough time, BTW). In that time, plans changed, I had three riding partners come and go and in the end it was just me and a guy I'd never met and a set of bicycle maps. But what the hell - it's an adventure, right?

And so it was that I left my comfy little home in Long Beach, California, on June 29th for Wickenburg, Arizona - my wife and daughter smiling and waving as I departed (don't feel too sorry for them - they were going to Europe while I was away). My friends Scott and Patti Colbath had agreed to let me use their place in Wickenburg as a sort of base of operations. The trip out there was uneventful, but hot.

It wasn't just hot, it was "I-think-my-eyebrows-are-on-fire" hot.

Ain't it the truth... (leaving Hope, Arizona)

Around Wickenburg-

Scott took me on a nice ride Sunday, July 1st, up to Yarnell and over to Prescott for breakfast. Our saddle time was limited by the heat - we left his place at 0600 and returned around noon. When we got back it was 111 degrees. In the shade.

So finally Monday morning came. I packed up my shiny clean motorcycle and lit out for Patagonia, Arizona, where I was to meet up with my partner, Dick Ohnstad (OldGypsy).

By 0800, it was already 94 degrees.

I stopped in Indio for breakfast. Ever have Subway for breakfast? It's pretty darned good.

While I was eating, this little guy came over and climbed on my boot. I thought he might run up my leg. He looked like a cross between a kangaroo rat and a chipmunk.

You may notice that a lot of my attention (and photos) center around critters. I love all manner of critters.

The trip to Patagonia was uneventful. Just a lot of hot pavement.

I stopped at the Honda dealer in Tuscon (while it was 110) to pick up an innertube. We had used my spare rear tube to fix a flat on Scott's bike the day before.

I got to Dick's at about 1230. We went over the route, looked at maps, had a nice dinner and went to bed early. They have nice sunsets down there.

Next up - Day 1.

--RxRick
--Long Beach, California

RxRick screwed with this post 08-04-2007 at 07:54 AM
RxRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
RxRick OP
Seeker of Trout

Day 1 - Wolves!

Finally - Tuesday, July 3rd was here. We were packed up and on the road by 0530. We had originally talked about going to Lordsburg, NM, then making the down-and-back run to Antelope Wells. But since Dick lives 19 miles from the border (at Nogales) and since it was going to be 110 degrees that day, we decided to just head for the high country as soon as possible. We would pick up the CDT in Silver City, New Mexico. The ride to Silver City was hot and boring.

We got gas in Silver City. I was not a happy camper in the heat.

The weather plays a role in any trip of this size, and this was no exception. It didn't help that we left at the start of one of the worst heat waves in many years. I should have bought more water.

The trail here was fun - a lot of steep switchbacks and loose rocks. We came across a stream and used it to wet down our shirts.

Now, Dick would never make a big deal about this, but I feel I should mention it. My riding partner is 70 years old. I'm sure there are other 70-year-olds out there riding around, but I don't know very many that would take on a ride like this. I hope I'm still doing stuff like this 18 years from now.

We took a break at a small lake. Partly because there was shade and partly because there was a herd of cattle in our way.

They eventually moved on and we went about our business.

We probably pressed on harder than we should have. We took the wrong fork at a three-way intersection and quickly found ourselves wallowing in a deep vat of powdery, talc-like dust. Dick did a nice faceplant and I almost did. After extricating himself from the bike, he said "Well, at least it was a soft landing".

We got back on the correct trail and continued on. It was around here that we saw a sign that said "Caution - Dangerous Wolves in Vicinity" (or something like that). Very curious. Are wolves really dangerous?

We stopped again later for a short break under the only available shade.

Our first antelope. Those suckers are hard to photograph...

This guy must really like his privacy.

We got gas in Old Horse Springs and I found a faucet around back to refill my Camelbak. We finally made camp about 20 miles south of Pie Town.

We had eaten a nice breakfast at Dick's before we left, which was good because we didn't get another proper meal for almost 36 hours. We were both out by 9pm. We did 403 miles on the day after 13.5 hours in the saddle.

I was awakened at around 0130 by something making noise outside. I figured it was a deer or maybe even cattle as this was all open range. I rolled over on my back and was admiring the bright moon overhead. It was maybe three-quarters full as I looked through the mesh ceiling of my tent. Just then a wolf let go with a howl right outside my tent. He might have been a few yards away but it sounded like it was inside my tent. Other wolves followed suit down the line - each more distant than the last.

After the initial shock wore off, a huge grin creased my face.

O.K., this is cool.

Day 2 follows.

--RxRick
--Long Beach, California
Old 07-26-2007, 04:23 AM   #3
Hardrocker
Keep ur feet on the pegs

Oddometer: 462
Neat report! I am looking forward to your next installment. Dick is really quite the guy.

Having the wolves near your camp was a great treat, just as long as they are well-fed.

In Alaska they are more concerned about wolves in contact with the tourists than they are about the grizzlies. When we were up there a few years ago, at the entrance to Denali, they would not allow tent camping in the area because of wolf packs.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
Excellent start!! the "hard way"? That's the FUN way!!

Touratech will have a DVD on just such a ride...
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
dirty ol man
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 145
Okay Rick, I'm ready for more please...only six more days and I head out for the Trail! Congrats on the ride...now post up! Ride on...
Old 07-26-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Thumb Nice start

Looking forward to this one...I am sure you are looking forward to making some progress North. Got to cool off some. Thanks for taking the time to post the report & pics.
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,495
More! More!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,314
Wow. That looks like fun, maybe a good september voyage? I would toss that thermometer away, I would feel hotter just because it tells me too..
FXRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
RxRick OP
Seeker of Trout

Day 2 - Why is the rain hurting my knuckles?

I got up around 0530 and Dick was up soon after. We could hear the wolves down the road and they had apparently caught something. Hopefully it was a deer or antelope and not someone's livestock. That's what got them into trouble in the first place.

We got into Pie Town quickly, expecting to eat breakfast. Unfortunately, it was July 4th and there was not a soul to be found.

The Pie-O-Neer was closed, as was the Daily Pie Cafe.

I found another faucet to fill the Camelbak. While I was doing that, a guy came out of the back of the Daily Pie Cafe and asked if we needed anything. I was tempted to say "Yeah, some bacon and eggs would be nice", but I told him we were fine. It was his holiday, after all. We pressed on another 30 miles to Highway 117.

Your best friend on a dusty road - Mr. Crosswind.

Here you can take pavement or dirt into Grants. We took the pavement mostly because I wanted to see the red sandstone bluffs and La Ventana National Monument. It was a good choice.

We finally got into Grants and got some food. This place was quite good, even if they can't spell "truckers".

At this point we took a small detour off the CDT as Dick wanted to see the Chaco Indian ruins and museum, so I followed him down some washboarded road to the middle of nowhere.

NOTE: The bicycle map contains an error here. They show the "Chaco Culture Nat'l Historic Park" as being in Pueblo Pintado - it's not. It's 10-12 miles northwest of there.

Yep, it's still hot.

I'm not normally into this stuff, but it was pretty cool. Especially considering they were doing this stuff 1,000 years ago.

We headed off in the general direction of Pueblo Pintado and were quickly surrounded by thunderstorms.

We were pretty lucky and mananged to miss most of the main downpours. This how I like my thunderstorms - in the rearview mirror.

But then we ran out of luck. I put the camera away, obviously, as we got hammered by wind and rain. Then I noticed the rain was making an awful lot of noise on my helmet and it was really hurting my knuckles. Hail - great. We don't get weather like this in SoCal. We limped into Cuba, NM, wet and cold and the first thing we saw was a sign for a motel. It took about three milliseconds to make that decision - we grabbed a room.

At least my bike was clean again.

As we were unloading, another equally soggy biker pulled in on a KLR. He was doing the same ride, but solo. His name is Joe ("BluRoad") from Madison, Wisconsin and he came into the cafe across the street as we were finishing dinner. His bike had shed a bolt from the footpeg/centerstand and he was asking about shops. I had a small collection of spare nuts and bolts and one of them fit. After talking for a bit, we asked if he wanted to join us on the trek. We were a threesome from that point on.

Next up - Day 3 and some rough northern New Mexico roads.

--RxRick

RxRick screwed with this post 07-27-2007 at 06:02 PM
Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,786

Loved your story about the wolf howling outside the tent. Nothing in the world quite as primordial as a wolf's howl. I too would have enjoyed it, as soon as I cleaned up my pants.

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
woodrow
Yep - It's Me

Oddometer: 77
Great report so far!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,600
Damn Rick, I guess we need to get going on our ride report too
It was great meeting you and the other guys in Radium, CO. I wish we had more time to BS, but we needed to get to Silverthorne so we could score our free condo stay. It was worth it too, shower, beer, pizza, homemade biscuits and gravy and eggs the next morning.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...orcycleriders/
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #13
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,077
Great Report going there, BTW I too can relate to the heat as I too was was riding my trip over the 4th of July week, it was 102 degrees in Wallace Idaho.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 451
This is where I come in...all the way from southern Wisconsin. I headed the KLR southwest from the Madison area on June 26, and it was hot. The concept of hot will be a recurring theme for the next three weeks. I dodged t-storms across IA, MO, KS, OK and NM, but never got wet till Cuba NM. The battery lost its electrons in Dodge City, and I spent the morning dealing with that. Arrived in Antelope Wells at 4:25pm, June 30 and got a few photos. 102 degrees. I headed north right into an afternoon t-storm. Still dodging the rain portion, I braved some awesome crosswinds and chatted with a couple Border Patrol agents in Hachita while we waited for a shower to clear to the north. Onward to Silver City and the Motel 6. Next day is beautiful off-pavement where I flushed a herd of elk in the narrow area between the Gila and Leopold wilderness areas. Made Pie Town (everything closed up, of course) at 6:30pm. West on 60 to Quemado for a $35 dollar room (and worth exactly that). The next 3 days were spent visiting my parents in Overgaard AZ, about 150 detour west. Fast forward to July 4 finds me back in Pie Town (everything closed up, of course) at noon. At this point I'm about 5 hours behind rxRick and Dick, unknown to all. My trip to Cuba is a copy of theirs (even ate at the same place in Grants) and rolled into Cuba in a downpour to the same welcoming "Motel" sign.
BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
kpie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Sounds like a blast! Keep it Comin'
kpie is offline   Reply With Quote