Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #181
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Curious as to what maps and whos GPS tracks you used for this ride.
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #182
RxRick OP
Seeker of Trout

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42
Curious as to what maps and whos GPS tracks you used for this ride.
You'll have to ask Dick or Joe about GPS. i used the maps from the Adventure Cycling folks. The set of six will cost you about $70, but they're the best maps you'll ever use. You can do the entire 2900 miles with them and a trip odometer. Here's a link:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/stor...fm?Category=13

--RxRick
RxRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #183
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,726
My group did the ride the same time as Rick (opposite direction though). I used the file that BigDog posted here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108842

One of our group also had the maps Rick mentioned. I think the ideal combination would be to have both, but personally if I had to pick one I'd go with GPS (I'm very comfortable with GPS though). In our experience it was pretty hard to just follow the maps at motorcycle speeds. Because these maps are very detailed, they are LARGE. You better have some kind of map pouch bigger than a normal tank bag one.
The book that the Adventure Cycling Assn sells has the maps in a much smaller and less detailed format. You'd have to scan them and print them out though.
I used my Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx, but I also brought my old GPS V loaded with a simplified version of BigDog's file as a backup.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #184
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I would've felt cheated if I didn't have the maps. They allowed me to better visualise where I was and the country that surrounded me, not riding with tunnel vision.

The map directions can seem confusing, but it's easy to break-out the key/important mileages with notes (intersections, etc) and not try to deal with every mileage note given on the maps. Kinda like a 'tulip chart' for rally racing.

In a dark tunnel with no light, I would appreciate a leash; otherwise, I don't mind making a mistake here and there.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #185
OldGypsy
FoolForDirt

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxRick
You'll have to ask Dick or Joe about GPS. i used the maps from the Adventure Cycling folks. The set of six will cost you about $70, but they're the best maps you'll ever use. You can do the entire 2900 miles with them and a trip odometer. Here's a link:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/stor...fm?Category=13

--RxRick
Joe had a real fancy new model Garmin, I had a GPS V. I also had made copies of all the little maps in the adventure cycling book. The scale of the maps in the book were about the same as the GPS V, so I would be looking at those maps in the top of my tankbag and comparing the orientation with what I was seeing on the "V". I had made a reverse order spreadsheet (we were going s-n, the book is laid out n-s). I had eliminated some of the mileage references from the book, but in hindsight I would eliminate all the references except the actual turns (junctions). Rick & I were doing pretty well staying oriented by using his odometer resets, the GPS and the spreadsheet. When we hooked up with Joe, he had the route programmed into his newer model GPS, and we pretty much depended on that from then on.
OldGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #186
RxRick OP
Seeker of Trout

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
I would've felt cheated if I didn't have the maps. They allowed me to better visualise where I was and the country that surrounded me, not riding with tunnel vision.

The map directions can seem confusing, but it's easy to break-out the key/important mileages with notes (intersections, etc) and not try to deal with every mileage note given on the maps. Kinda like a 'tulip chart' for rally racing.

In a dark tunnel with no light, I would appreciate a leash; otherwise, I don't mind making a mistake here and there.
I concur. And like Mike said, having both maps and GPS was ideal. I basically just marked on the map the milage to the next turn and the name of the road. So when we made a turn, I would call out "16.7 miles to forest road 42" (or whatever) and punch the trip odometer. The GPS was great, but we also enjoyed route planning the next day's ride on the maps. The bicycle maps also have a wealth of info about the areas you ride through.

The problem with maps, of course, is that if you manage to get lost you don't know where you are. If you miss a turn and have GPS, it will tell you which way the trail is. For any future rides like this, I will have both.

--RxRick
RxRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #187
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
...The problem with maps, of course, is that if you manage to get lost you don't know where you are. .....
It depends on how far off track you are and how well you know what to expect on the path you're following.
Running without any other knowledge other than the turns/intersections, sure - loster than hell, real easy.

The maps show creeks, the path direction will either go the right way or not, there are many other reference features included on the maps, along with roads that are off the CDR track.

Visualise what's ahead kinda thing...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #188
Zeekster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
ehhh...what's up wit-yo machine... Duude! Have ya found any time for it yet?
Zeekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #189
Mr. Visible
super dork

Oddometer: 9
Great report. I can't wait to do it myself, just as soon as I get this cast off my leg.

Keepin' it real in Hi-Viz
Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #190
laxpol
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #191
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
I took my bike to Penco (local KTM dealer in Kalispell) for a tire, but ended up getting a sprocket and chain as well. I picked it up around noon the next day and headed over to the Flathead River. I fished from the bank with a lure and caught a bunch of these guys (rainbows).

I went down the Flathead the next day with a guide and we caught about a dozen of these on dry flies (cutthroat).

Then I headed down 93 through Lolo, Hamilton, Darby, Sula. I was supposed to take 40 east but missed the turn-off. Ended up finding a neat dirt road from Gibbonsville (Idaho) back to Hwy 43. This old truck was on that road.

Had a nice lunch in Wisdom, Montana. Then down 278 to Dillon for a couple of days to fish the Big Hole and Beaverhead Rivers. I also wanted to get back over to Big Sheep Creek if there was time.

This is the Big Hole.

The mosquitoes were out in force at the Big Hole river, but I caught a couple of small rainbows and this snake. People who fish with me know it's just a matter of time before I come back with a snake. I'm like the snake whisperer.

This young buck gave me a start.

Random shots around Dillon.

I went south of Dillon about 15 miles to fish the Beaverhead the next day. Caught a few more rainbows on spoons, then spotted a large fish under an overhang of brambles. He would dart out to grab food, then tuck back under the bushes. I tied on a grasshopper pattern fly and a lead shot and floated it past him. He grabbed it. Meet Mr. Brown - all 19 inches of him.

It took me almost 15 minutes to get him in on my little 4-pound-test spinning reel. Then I had to drop down the embankment into the river to untangle him from the brush. Once unhooked, photographed and released, I turned around to climb out of the river. This guy was staring at me, chest-level. Hello, Mr. Rattlesnake. I'm telling you, I attract snakes.

I had to push him out of the way with my rod in order to get out of the water. He was pretty pissed off, but he moved.

After that, I packed up my fishing stuff and headed home. Here are some shots from several days on the highway through Montana, Idaho, Utah and finally Arizona.

Craters of the Moon National Park in Idaho.

This supposedly tame bobcat with the sore foot apparently didn't like my camera*.

*(it was stuffed)

I don't know what this is, but since I'm in Utah, I'll assume it's a Morman thing.

I rode along with this guy on a 650 Dakar for a bit. He had been on the road for three months and was heading home to Phoenix.

I owe a thanks to whoever put this sign up. Saved me some time.

Cute little motel in Panguitch, Utah. If you go there, don't miss the Cowboy Smokehouse restaurant. And get the sampler plate.

Near Glen Canyon Dam.

And this, my friends, was where it all came to a screeching halt.

My bike had performed flawlessly for 4600 miles. Unfortunately, it was a 4800 mile trip. It just died, as if someone had hit the kill switch. I poked around a bit, but it was hot - it was about 1pm. I probably could've figured it out eventually, but when a nice heavy equipment hauler offered me and the bike a ride to Flagstaff, and my friend Scott said he could drive my truck up from his place in Wickenburg, well - I just bailed. It was an ignominous ending to a glorious trip.

But what the hell. It's all part of the adventure, right?

--RxRick

so, what did go wrong with the bike??

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #192
98Virago
98Virago

Oddometer: 91
Question

I heard that OldGypsy is planning again the GDR 2012 North-South this time. If OldGypsy was on his 70's on his last GDR 2007, then how young he will be this coming Aug.-Sept. 2012?

Ride safe,
98Virago

Ride Safe,
98Virago
98Virago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #193
OldGypsy
FoolForDirt

Once again

I am planning the ride for the last week in Aug, 1st week in Sept. I'm still spooked about the possibility of mud in NM. This time I'm doing it with an XT225, much easier to pick up.

I loved the ride RickX, Joe and I did in 2007, and I figure going in the opposite direction will make it completely fresh. Not sure if there will be 2 of us or 4.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #194
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,164
this is one of the first RRs that inspired me to explore the backroads on a bike.

awesome!

og, don't you have a son in sd with a klr and a guzzi?
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #195
OldGypsy
FoolForDirt

I do, and he's also picked up a couple of old 125cc Ducati's to refurb. He and I did a terrific ride halfway down Baja on our KLR's. One of the best vacations I ever had. (Before I joined this site)