Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
DaveDragon OP
Bwana

Oddometer: 718
Trackstick - GPS Track Recorder

Trackstick - An inexpensive GPS Track Recorder

Hello, My name is Dave, and I'm a Farkleholic. Hi Dave!

You may remember that I procured a Star-Traxx Transceiver before Ride About 2007 so I could post my daily route tracks and so those who are interested could follow along my route.

The Star-Traxx system is Top Drawer all the way, but a little on the expensive side to procure and requires a subscription to their service.

Being the Techno-Farkleholic by nature, I'm always on the lookout for Cool, Functional Farkles (Accessories). To this end, may I present you the Super TrackStick GPS Logger.

This is a powerful, functional and relatively inexpensive GPS Track Recorder on steroids.

Don't let it's 4 1/2 X 1 1/4 X 3/4 fool you, it has 2.5 meter horizontal accuracy
and 4Mb flash memory records months of location histories.

Powered by Two "AAA" batteries, it incorporates integrated Vibration Detector for ultra long battery life. (4 weeks typical)

Beside recording all of the typical GPS Data it has a built in temperature recorder. (-10C / +14F to +60C/140F +/- 1C)

With the software you download from the manufactures site the TrackStick is Integrated directly into Google EarthTM for worldwide use.

While these devices were developed for and are in use by Law Enforcement, the general public also has access to them and have found many uses for the technology.

I suggest that this is the perfect solution for those of us that enjoy long distance riding and want the rides documented in such a way that it's easy to share the routes with others via the Internet.

The Application Software you download from www.TrackStick.com includes the appropriate USB Drivers and the TrackStick Manager software allows full control of the device with the ability to download tracks, clear the internal memory and export the track log data into several formats such as Google Earth Fly-through, timeline and pushpins; Rich Text Format, Comma Separated Value, GPS Exchange Format and HTML .

This photo shows the bits & pieces of the Super TrackStick.

Here is a link to an HTML track log that interfaces with Google Earth.
This is a Google Earth formatted file.
Here is a GPS Exchange Format of the above track.

Here is a link to the Product PDF, and Here is where I purchased the TrackStick.

When the TrackStick arrived today via Farkle Fairy (Big Brown Truck), I opened the box, installed the batteries, switched on the unit and tossed it in the tank bag of the R1200GS and took a short Test Ride

After the ride I plugged the TrackStick into a USB port of my laptop after downloading and installing the software. Click a button and the data is downloaded to the application where you can view the data in raw format or rendered on Google Maps, Google Earth and others.

Pros: Small, Light weight, powerful capabilities and inexpensive.
Cons: None found as of yet.

@DaveDragonDave FB G+
DaveDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,706
Couldn't find the price anywhere. How much is it?
Is it really cheaper than say a Garmin 60Cx, which will record your tracks and do a whole bunch of other stuff too?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
I've been looking at this thing for a while, too. It's pretty neat and the best thing about it is when you're in a country that your GPS doesn't have maps for, this thing will still track where you've been without having to purchase add on maps if all you're looking for is to record where you've been, not where you want to go.

LR and I plan to visit Mex, Belize & Guat this winter and I would like to have one of these on the trip. My GPS does not have maps for anywhere there & the Trackstick would be cheaper to purchase(and much easier to use!) than buying maps and having to worry about all the crap that goes with changing out cards to load different ones and such.

Google Store
has the Personal Trackstick on sale right now for $179.

I found the Trackstick Pro here for $199 and the Personal for $189.

More info for their site:

TracksticksTM are small GPS location recorders capable of continuously logging their own location histories for extended periods of time. These detailed recordings include time, date, location, speed, heading and altitude. Built-in flash memory and long battery life allows for the storage of months of travel information.

How it works
The TrackstickTM receives signals from twenty-four satellites orbiting the earth. With this information, the TrackstickTM can precisely calculate its own position anywhere on the planet to within 2.5 meters.

All recorded history can be outputted to the following formats:

KML (GoogleTM Earth file)
GPX (GPS data Exchange)
RTF (Detailed text file with .hTMl map links)
CSV (Comma Separated Values)
HTML (Web page with graphics and maps)

Histories can also be outputted to most mapping services, including:

maps.google.com
mapquest.com
virtualearth.com
MicrosoftTM Streets and TripsTM
EncartaTM

Where it works

The TrackstickTM will work anywhere on the planet Earth. Using the latest in GPS mapping technologies, your exact location can be shown on satellite-based maps and 3D geographical terrain.

The Trackstick'sTM micro-computer can even calculate how long you have been indoors. While visiting family, friends or even shopping, the TrackstickTM can accurately time and map each and every place you have been.

Route Tracing
When histories are viewed, TrackstickTM overlays a red line on the map indicating where you've traveled. The location and length of each stop is clearly indicated on each map making it easy to see each and every place the TrackstickTM has been.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
a very cool device
i'm a farkleholic as well
i'm going to buy the Super Trackstick today

http://www.amazon.com/Trackstick-Tra.../dp/B000RBH1B8
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
DaveDragon OP
Bwana

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Couldn't find the price anywhere. How much is it?
Is it really cheaper than say a Garmin 60Cx, which will record your tracks and do a whole bunch of other stuff too?
I paid $200.00 for it.

The unit won't replace a GPS but the software it's bundled with has some powerful capabilities enabling the user to easily share the data in several formats.

jm2cw
@DaveDragonDave FB G+
Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
DaveDragon OP
Bwana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
a very cool device
i'm a farkleholic as well
i'm going to buy the Super Trackstick today

http://www.amazon.com/Trackstick-Tra.../dp/B000RBH1B8
Better price here but temporarily out of stock.
@DaveDragonDave FB G+
Old 07-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Coyote X
Lazy Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I use the I-Blue 757 solar powered bluetooth logging gps module.

http://www.amazon.com/i-Blue-757-Sol.../dp/B000N75ZAK

It works good and doesn't have to be connected to any other device to log, just flip the switch to logging and it will log based on time/distance or whatever you set it for. Once you get it home you can dump the log file using the usb cable and the software can even load the log into google maps and show you your tracks. I paid just under $100 for it off ebay a few months ago. It works great if you have a windows mobile pda and can connect using bluetooth and run google earth mobile while riding to see where you are at. If you don't have a pda the logging part is still real good and is very simple and reliable and you can always use it on a laptop or whatever later on. For the price it currently is I don't think there is a better setup.
Coyote X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,862
Track stick

Reading in a nerd mag about a little device called a Trackstick, tiny thing that sits in your pocket, activated by vibration, records your travels then you download when you get home, looks pretty cool, especially when interfaced with Google maps. Anyone got one, seen one, opinions? Burnie?
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Heard of them but have not tried one

Seem to be designed to put in your kids/wives car and then download the tracklog afterwards to see were they have been
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #10
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I purchased a Trackstick Pro about 2 months ago. I wanted a track recording device that I could take on a long trip and be able to save the entire trip without downloading to a computer. I set it up to record one waypoint per minute and I would take it everywhere I went. I tried it on the dash of my truck and behind the windshield of the ST, in one hours time I would be lucky to have 5 waypoints recorded. It took two emails to the company to get a response and they suggested I change record times to 15sec intervals which only worked slightly better - about a 17% capture rate. At that point I contacted the store that I bought it from and they agreed to exchange it. I sent it back and when I didn't have the replacement in over a week I contacted my credit card company and they showed that I had just been given a return credit - which was fine by me. In fairness I may have had a defective unit and I didn't get to try a 2nd, but I was a little uncomfortable with the Trackstick company - website has no phone number and no address - also the tech service was poor at best. I really don't think they even read my email before sending a response to record at 15sec intervals - I needed it to record for 2 1/2 weeks and 15sec recording memory would be full in a couple of days. Anyway I am currently looking for a track device that works and I wish you good luck in your search.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #11
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,862
Thanks Justlookin, that was exactly the sort of info i was after! Cheers!
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,741
Trackstick, for the other kind of GPS user

Perhaps a bit -my, but I'm curious if anyone out here owns one, or has used something like it. Clearly not for navigation, but if you like to simply log your location over time, it seems ideal. Cheap. Easy to use.

What say ye?

http://www.gearthstore.com/products/...2/details.html

Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,706
Not that cheap

IMHO - Silly to have a GPS reciever you can't use for navigation.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
Shoot - you could buy a 60cx from Sam's for $263, add a big SD card and be just a few buck over the stick model.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
Shoot - you could buy a 60cx from Sam's for $263, add a big SD card and be just a few buck over the stick model.

Dave

No info on how long the cheap one will run on two AA's and 12VDC one costs as much as a GPS, so why bother.

There are some posts her about GPS logging devices. I would only use something like this to hid on my kid's car or body cavity.
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote