Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #16
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace

No info on how long the cheap one will run on two AA's and 12VDC one costs as much as a GPS, so why bother.

There are some posts her about GPS logging devices. I would only use something like this to hid on my kid's car or body cavity.
And Phil takes the prize for the ulterior motive discovery.

Actually, I was thinking back to the Viking's use of GPS along the road, and how difficult it was to get good tracklog when all he wanted was to find the next town. Then after the fact, a tracklog was desired. For a long trip where a good, consistant record is desired, something like this might be the thing. They also make a "pro" version, that I think takes 12V... business owners and their trucks, for instance... but my teenager is definately on the hitlist for this item.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #17
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy
Perhaps a bit -my, but I'm curious if anyone out here owns one, or has used something like it. Clearly not for navigation, but if you like to simply log your location over time, it seems ideal. Cheap. Easy to use.

What say ye?
I have one of these:

http://e-worlddirect.com/Sony-Gpscs1...B000HDIYEO.htm

I record tracks for geotagging photos. The benefit of this over my garmins (emap and 2610) is they have a single track log of about 10 hours. This will hold close to 1 month of continuous (15 sec interval) tracks in NMEA format.

Also, it will run 15 hours on a single AA. Finally it's very light. I stick it in my tank bag or latch it to my camera bag when on foot. It's not perfect, but at $75 it does what it does as well as I could expect.

Geof
Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 AM   #18
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 241
Realise that this thread is a bit dead but I bought one of these gadgets off ebay last year and used it successfully on a trip through India, so I think it's worth giving it a good review.

I think the unit justlookin bought must have been faulty because mine operated just as expected (once I had played with it a bit and worked out how the configuration software worked). The management software is small and easily installed on a USB stick so if you have access to a computer every week or so on a trip you can install the software, extract the data from the stick and then what I did was keep a copy on my USB key and email a copy home for safekeeping. A pair of AAA lasted 3 or 4 days on the road.

The accuracy was about equivalent to that of the data which the TomTom rider can store. I have also created tracks in the past using a Magellan Meridian GPS. This unit was power hungry and had limited data storage before it started to overwrite old data, however its tracks seemed to be much smoother and less jagged than the tracks created by either the TomTom or Trackstick. I guess they store more decimal points which results in much smoother results in Google Earth.
Nev.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
ridebollyride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Trackstick GPS

Any body tried one of these? It is a USB stick and records everything you do on a trip start, stop, speed,altitude,temperture and more. Motorcycle,car and walking/hiking. Download Goggle Earth and it will show your route and how long you stop for. Free softwear download from company. No monthly fees.

www.trackstick.com
Old 08-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #20
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,338
Why not just get a regular handheld GPS? They do the same thing and so much more....

Guess I just don't see the advantage to not having a UI...
Old 08-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
+1 What Mule said!

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #22
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
The cheapest price I could find for the Mini was $289. You can buy a pretty good GPS that you can navigate with for that. That's an outrageous price for something you can't even navigate with.

I use a similar device for geocoding digital photos but it cost less than $80.
MotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 AM   #23
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,877
Been discussed before, so I merged the Trackstick threads together.

Dave
ADV Mod

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #24
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule
Why not just get a regular handheld GPS? They do the same thing and so much more....

Guess I just don't see the advantage to not having a UI...
Exactly. For around the same money you can have a full-featured technical GPS like a 60CSx, which will do what these "sticks" can do, and a whole shitload more too. I just can't see the point.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #25
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,094
Boost Mobile Motorola iDen phone ($50) + Instamapper software installed on it ($0) = Live data tracking (a-la Spot except, of course, cell coverage is required) in a fairly small package for $.35/day (Boost Mobile's mobile web data rate).

www.instamapper.com.
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #26
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,578
Here's a data logging GPSr with bluetooth for $46:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26337

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote