Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
sayonora OP
doesnt like airplans

Oddometer: 47
My projects: '55 bullet - 74 r75/6

Hi!
Not long ago I picked up an r75/6 in a pretty sad state. The handlebars had been altered by the PO and he figured the best solution was to cut the wiring and extend all of it, leaving the whole loom disconnected. Some of you may have seen it over in the airhead section.

The idea is that I'm going to try to build something like the CRD #38:

I just think it's a really classy bike, theres very little modification and it gets rid of bmw's rear end which I do not like.

Even less long ago, while I was out in stafford at the carole nash bike show, I came across a 1955 royal enfield bullet. Ever since I toured india on one, I'd been pining to feel and hear the thump again, so I thought, why not a real Redditch bullet with higher quality parts than an indian?

At first I thought I would just put it in running order and run it like that, I like a good patina. But as I got the bike home and started looking it over, I found that theres some parts that need attention due to rust, and I started cleaning it. While cleaning I found there's areas that I just cant reach with a toothbrush, so I thought, I'll just take it apart to clean it. Then I thought, while it's apart, I might as well just redo the whole thing!

It may not look like much, but I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to half of the British throne seeing as I own half of all British soil.
Theres a nice hole in the outer gearbox cover, so I'll be replacing that once I get the part, as well as some holes in the exhaust bend and silencer.

It's going to be a slow resto/build thread, as I don't really have alot of spare time, room and as you can imagine, funds are tight. I'm lucky to have an understanding father who throws me a few sheckles every now and then!
I like having two things on hand at any one time, it keeps me from getting in too deep in one problem. This way I can just switch to an easy (which will probably be a bmw) problem, and feel like I'm making progress!
This is pretty much my first restauration, so alot of awkwardness and goofyness will follow!

Disclaimer: only these two are mine!

sayonora screwed with this post 11-10-2014 at 04:01 PM
sayonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
sayonora OP
doesnt like airplans

Started on the bmw some time today. Just a fast mockup to see what I would be needing and needing to modify. I took the front fender off (which required me to cut two bolts in half) and started to dismantle the rear. I was surprised to find that BMW did not forsee connectors for the taillight, other then at the taillight assembly. This bothers me somewhat since that means I will have to chop the wiringloom..

crappy ipod pics!

I also spent a few hours last week with a grinder grinding that obnoxious 2mm off some alu bars I'd bought to replace the hideous ones that came with the bike. Succes! Will have to send these along with all the other parts to the sandblaster and get a nice shiny black coat on them.

sayonora screwed with this post 11-10-2014 at 04:05 PM
Old 11-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
rixcafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
TR6 looks interesting.
rixcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
I dig your project. Go man, go!

Had a '72 TR6 a long time ago. I loved that car. You have good taste!
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
sayonora OP
doesnt like airplans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcafe View Post
TR6 looks interesting.
Pleas take it away so I have some room to work
It's my dad's late 60s TR6, carbed. Don't really know much more about it, not really a car guy
Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonora View Post
It's my dad's late 60s TR6, carbed. Don't really know much more about it, not really a car guy
I'd take it away in a heartbeat!
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
rixcafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
My '69

If you are wrenching on an Airhead and an Enfield you know more than you think.
If you were on this side of the pond I'd take you up on your offer.
rixcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonora View Post
How much and where u located...

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
sayonora OP
doesnt like airplans

I don't think my dad would approve if I sold his TR6!
Here's a more complete picture of the TR6:

edit: I like the colour of your TR6 Rix, I always told my dad red is for italian cars!

Been in the garage a bit this weekend and got some stuff done.

First I took off the saddle. The cover has a tear in it, quite sadly because I like the patina it has. I took the cover off to find a rusted, but very useable seat base and a foam in perfect working conditioning. I wire brushed it a bit and will be using the Molesses technique to remove rust, once I get my hands on some! The tank came off too, much like other bolts because I'd been spraying with penetrating oil, but also because..well I've been amazed at the build quality of the enfield. I know, I know, the alloys weren't perfected, and reliability was poorer than on modern bikes. But this rust I've found on the bike is quite severe in some places, but in most places it's just surface rust. All the bolts come off easily without thread damage...My first bike was a 70s honda, and I can say, hand on heart, the 20 year older enfield, which looks like it was kept in a moist shed (considering none of the rubbers show cracks) has been easyer to dismantle than the virtually rustfree all original honda.
/rant off

Started with taking off the rear fender. At first I wanted to dismantle the assembly but..well..those round headed flathead bolts are just impossible to loosen. They've become one!
Ended up opening the hinges on the rear fender carriers and pulling off the whole assembly after I'd reshaped the dull, everyday hex nuts into nice, unique round ones.
result! ish..

After this I decided I needed to do something easy on the BMW as the enfield had kept me busy for 3 hours with just a silly rear fender.
I installed the center stand, was missing the washers. I'd been spending alot of times at swapmeets and in shops with my vernier caliper trying to find M10x18x0.8 spacers, with no luck. We have a lathe here at home, but we have no cutting tools and I don't really know how to work a lathe to precision, so I decided to just order them on ebay and get it over with. Those two spacers will make working on the BMW a doddle, and it was holding me up not having them.
I put the bmw on the center stand, figured I'd do the springs when I have more space, and I ziptied it.
On the enfield I'd gotten my brother to bring over his overused grinder. Last night we were celebrating my grandmothers 70th birthday, and in passing my niece's fiance mentioned that at his work they'd done some research and it concluded that most drills people buy in shops only get used twice. That will explain why it was getting hard to get the button on the grinder to work in this video. I put on some tough music, busted out the grinder and did some classic motorcycle build video grinding!
The offending article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS-A...ature=youtu.be

Here's how I left it tonight. Was working on gettin the exhaust pipe off, but lack the shop manual or exploded views to check how the header is attached to the cylinder head.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
sayonora OP
doesnt like airplans

So it's been a while.
I've some bad news, but I'll start with some good.
I installed the centerstand on the bmw, cleaned it a bit and toyed with the carbs a bit and got it running fine!

Unfortunately (this is the bad news) I had to sell it. My dad borrowed me some money and I needed money to buy parts for the enfield that now reside under my bed!

I got the enfield almost completely apart. Took out the engine, put it up on the workbench to clean.

after 2 days of cleaning:

Took the gearbox and primary off:

Cleaning the other side:

And I finaly got myself into the gearbox:

The whole gearbox is sandy and oil-muddy. I inspected all the gears carefully, and had my Honda guru give a second opinion, and he approved of it!

Kick starter 'clutch'. Royal enfield designed these small metal pieces to be regular wearing items. This one is probably reusable, but I decided to buy a new one seeing as I've got the whole thing apart now, and it costs about 5 euros for the whole thing.

A box of gearshift vagueness:

My original gearbox outer cover and middle cover seem to have suffered from some nasty fall. The middle cover just had a piece broken off. Since theres no oil pressure and it was a clean break, I sent it off to get welded back together. The outer cover was smashed in a corner, and I decide to just order a second hand one from Hitchcocks.
old one:

'new' one after some polishing:

I also polished the transmission cover a bit. I don't like the whole mirror thing, so I didn't polish it that much.

The next big problem was the forks. Above the bottom yoke theres two aluminium spacers that sit between the nacelle and the fork shrouds. They seem to be quite a tight fit. Royal enfield was a bit lazy and painted the bike after putting it together, painting some of the insides of the fork stanchions so they wouldnt slide right through the aluminium spacers. I applied about a half a can of butane with the cunning use of a lighter while my father tapped the top of the stanchions, and I got them to slide out.

I'm not sure about the stanchions yet though, they are dirty and I will clean them before deciding wether or not to buy new ones.

Alot of it is just muck and dirt.

Also took the tank badges off the tank:

They are pretty dirty but all original and have alot of paint still on them. I don't want to refurbish them, would just like to clean them. Anyone have an idea how to do this? I think if I go too hard on the degreaser the paint will come off, and a ultrasonic bath might be too agressive as well?

I like the patina on the tank. Sadly it has two dents, and the bottom needs repainting.

The biggest problem is to come though: The swingarm nuts are welded to the frame...I could hit the PO for doing this in a nasty way..Royal enfield decided to reinforce the frame around the swingarm making it almost impossible to use a grinder without damaging the frame. I'm at a loss what to do here....A friend suggested that blacksmiths just chizzle off welds, but I'm not too sure about someone hammering on my frame..I guess I might have to go through a few warehouses worth of dremel grinders...

I ordered alot of new parts from Hitchcocks. A new clutch was in order seeing is the old one is nearly welded together, a new rear sprocket, alot of bolts, a new exhaust system, some lucas parts, wire loom, alot of rubbers etc.

I put all the old parts in a box, we will be buying an ultrasonic cleaner at the end of next week at a big swapmeet in Wieze, and Ill clean all the bolts sorted box by sorted box, and Ill start putting parts back together. I'll also send off all the tin parts to be sandblasted, and then I'll be ready to do my first ever paintjob..

This is what an enfield minus wheels, engine and frame looks like in a box:

The reason I bought the enfield; my indian 350 bullet 4 speed in the himalayas:

The speedo wasnt working properly (what do you expect) I hit it a few times which usually made it work again..untill the kevlar on my gloves proved too tough...

sayonora screwed with this post 01-29-2015 at 03:34 PM
Old 01-29-2015, 10:14 PM   #11
DRconvertible
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 260
Great projects. Gotta love the Bullet. Great patina on it.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #12
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,387

I'm thinking there might be an Enfield in my future....

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:28 AM   #13
sayonora OP
doesnt like airplans

I can certainly recommend them! cheap parts and engineering is eligible for a 6 year old!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #14
sayonora OP
doesnt like airplans

Went into the garage today. took off petrol tap, tank badges and kneepads this time:

Then I did wheels. This is my first ever tyre change/removal. I spent 3h on the rear tyre a few weeks ago, and yesterday took me 2h to get the front tyre off, during which I managed to get one of the tyre levers into the tyre..muppet! Eventually got the thing off, and I took out the bearings which used to be ball bearings but are now ball bearing.

The chrome on these is pretty much gone. Gonna sandblast them and have them powdercoated black. I just can't decide on tyres...Originally it had firestone trail tyres. I really like the thread, but I don't think they will preform well onroad. I might have to resort to hideous BT45's, avon Roadriders, or maybe I'll get some heidi K60's or TKC's.

The frame is really naked now. The steering head bearings are in top nick, so I'll just clean them and reuse them.

I also had to replace the front rim on my bonneville t100. When I bought it it had crash damage, and apparently the front rim was bent. I traded my tacho kit for a second hand scrambler rim and some money. nice! Got the roadrider off my original rim quite easily, but getting it onto the new rim is proving sweaty. I'll also have to find a way to get the disc off, bolts are super tight!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #15
sayonora OP
doesnt like airplans

more cleaning and shining....

installed different handlebar clamps on the t100

got the tyre seated on the new rim, my old one was bent by the PO

Wheel less bonnie

Started taking off the front disk bolts. They seem to have a super strong loctite on them, and I rounded one of the allen bolts
My friend brought a heat gun, and we got the other ones out just fine..
I drilled the last bolt with my dad and installed the disk on the other rim. Will have to order a new bolt at a triumph dealer.

bonnie complete again!

I got the gearbox parts back from the welder as well

Looks good!
The gearbox casing had a bad cast, which left a hole in one of the mounting stud holes. I had it welded up, which meant I needed to redrill the stud hole...dangerous business as our pillar drill isnt true..So we used a regular cordless drill after experimenting a bit.

My honda guru also did a magnificent job reviving and undenting my front fender!

Went to the Wieze show yesterday as well. Saw this beauty for sale; 5000 euro's but wow!

also bought these nice mirrors for either the bonnie or the bullet. Haven't decided yet!