Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
farmrjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Dual Disc Brake Front Wheel Removal How To?

What is the best way to remove and replace a front wheel with dual disc brakes? The inside clearance between the calipers is much less than the clearance needed to clear the wheel and tire. The bike in question is a Yamaha TX750. What I've done is remove the caliper mounting bolts/nuts, the brake hose mounting nuts, the front fender, and twist the lower fork tubes to free the calipers prior to fully pulling out the wheel. There must be a better method?? Getting things back together after the new tire is on should be a real treat, any tips or suggestions?
farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I always remove both calipers then the wheel just pulls out.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
farmrjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. I knew it was necessary to remove the calipers, but the issue I have is that each caliper has one mounting stud that goes through a mounting hole on the strut that prevents the caliper from being pulled back enough to remove it without pivoting the lower leg of the strut. There is not enough clearance between the side of the caliper and the spokes to pull it back far enough. The clearance between the fixing bolts for the fender and the sidewall of the tire is also less than the length of the bolts, so it should be fun holding my mouth just right to get everything back together. I had hoped I'd missed some technique to make it easier.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
davebeef
Buffoon

Oddometer: 247
Whilst not fully following your previous post I can say however that your problem sounds like a complete p.i.t.a
rgds
D
davebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I'd take look at the microfiche for that bike and make sure the bolts etc. are the correct length.
Is the tire the correct size?
Is there an xs750 forum?
Are the part numbers the same as a xs650?
If so the XS650 forum will be able to help.
I doubt that Yamaha made the fork/brake/wheel parts just for the xs750.

I am wrong quite often however!!!!

Let us know how it went....Alan
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
farmrjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks all. Everything is back together. All the parts are the correct size. The added complexity was due to converting from the U.S. spec single disc to the European spec dual disc. The shop manual only covered the single disc setup. Next technique question, is there a good way to keep the pucks from falling loose from the pistons before you get the disc between them?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Are the pad backing plates missing? Thy help hold the pads in place.
If they are gone you can use a dab of disc brake quiet, or high temp silicon to hold the pads in place. You need to let it set up a little before putting the calipers on, and make sure to not use too much (you don't want to have it look like some dumbass used silicon on the brake pads ).
Old 06-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
SpikeC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I would make up a couple of thin wooden wedges to go between the pads and slide them out as the calipers are slid onto the discs.
2008 DB5R
IBA #8297
SpikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
CalsXS2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Hey John. What clamp did you use to hold left side brake line to the fork?

Got any pic's of your install of the dual disc set up.
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
farmrjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalsXS2 View Post
Hey John. What clamp did you use to hold left side brake line to the fork?

Got any pic's of your install of the dual disc set up.
I was able to find a dual disc setup on eBay for a '76 XS650 with dual discs, and a new correct clamp from one of the Yamaha online vendors. I looked, and they are showing "not available" now. I'll try a couple of pics.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #11
CalsXS2
Gnarly Adventurer

So John. Do you think it was worth the expense and effort to do this conversion.

I have the dual line splitter. But I would still need a master cylinder, line, clamp[you got a part number], and rotor with mounting hub.

If it's not much better, I don't want to spend the money.

So is it worth it. And. You got any extra part's that I would need,,,,lol. Thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
farmrjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"Is it worth it?" is a tough question as the answer is relative. The braking does seem better, and I was able to slow down enough when I was cooking a little to much coming up on a blind corner with the duals and don't know if the single would have been enough, so in that case yes. I found my parts on ebay searching under both the 750 and the XS/TX650s. As I recall the '76 650 parts diagram has the part numbers for the second line and bracket. I got the master cylinder from MikeXS, although I've read that an earlier Goldwing master will provide better feel but I went the easy way. The biggest downside is the added difficulty in removing the front wheel with two vs. one.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
CalsXS2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmrjohn View Post
"Is it worth it?" is a tough question as the answer is relative. The braking does seem better, and I was able to slow down enough when I was cooking a little to much coming up on a blind corner with the duals and don't know if the single would have been enough, so in that case yes. I found my parts on ebay searching under both the 750 and the XS/TX650s. As I recall the '76 650 parts diagram has the part numbers for the second line and bracket. I got the master cylinder from MikeXS, although I've read that an earlier Goldwing master will provide better feel but I went the easy way. The biggest downside is the added difficulty in removing the front wheel with two vs. one.
I can't find any part # for the left side line holder. If you have time, could you have a look.

That's a good tip about the gold wing master. It looks identical. Now if I can find one that doesn't need rebuilt.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #14
rbjenterprises
Just wandering in SW VA

Oddometer: 34
I have the same setup on my xs650b. This winter I an going to rebuild the front end. I plan to replace the caliper bolt/stud configuration with a two bolt configuration. I will lose the shiny acorn heads on the top bolts and have to use a spacer between the fork and caliper. I have also used flex ss hoses straight from the calipers to the master cylinder with a double banjo bolt with a switch to turn on my brake light. I used the stock master cylinder and am happy with the performance of the brakes.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
farmrjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

From the '76 XS650-C parts fiche, double disc brake page:

533-25825-00-00 Holder
306-25881-00-00 Grommet (protector)