Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #1621
305racer
Fossil Rocket Pilot

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX
Solid wheels and tractor tires do not a cafe racer make...

Neither do a KZ/GS bikini fairing on a Sportster
Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #1622
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
with wrenchmonkeys I always get the impression that the photo's are too well made. It's not the bikes (in many cases, this is a fine example) that really do it, it's the way they're photographed. Don't like their BMW either.

On the other hand: they did make a couple of bikes that did do it for me. Like this one:

Dunno why, but somehow it works for me. This one doesn't:

MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #1623
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305racer
Neither do a KZ/GS bikini fairing on a Sportster
Tracy Black Rain fairing, made for Sportsters. I'd take on that clunky 750 on a twisty road any time...
83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #1624
Rich Dubbya
Pimpadimpolis

Oddometer: 244
That one's pretty interesting... Still think I would of kept the discs .
Old 01-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #1625
vintagetour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
just old school

[IMG][/IMG]This photo was shot by Micah Shoemaker at the Harvest Classic in Luckenbach Tx. When I saw it I asked him for a copy....since it's me. And no I didn't ruin a perfectly good Vincent. It began as a Bitsa bike (Lightning spec motor)in 65. Girling racing shocks rear, Marzocchi/Fontana front, 2" tuned straghts and 11 cables to make it all go. After several owners I made a few changes but kept with the "period" look and feel. It won't corner like a new Ducati and probably won't ever see the 150 mph on it's speedometer but it sure is fun pretending to go fast.
vintagetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #1626
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
Sweeet! Next to a Norton Commando, Vincents are one of the coolest bikes ever, and cafe'd - oh yeah!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #1627
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu
I like the drums. They're my favorite part.
That headlight thing, reminds me of the plastic pails they put on dogs' collars after eye surgery and is definitely my least favorite part.
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #1628
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetour
It began as a Bitsa bike (Lightning spec motor)in 65. Girling racing shocks rear, Marzocchi/Fontana front, 2" tuned straghts and 11 cables to make it all go. After several owners I made a few changes but kept with the "period" look and feel.
That bike is WAY cool...
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #1629
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,676

Hmmmm... good lookin' bike, the red's a little "strong" for my taste, but... wouldn't kick it outta my garage....

maybe black out the shiny parts of the wheels? damn!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:56 AM   #1630
bpeckm
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetour
[IMG][/IMG]This photo was shot by Micah Shoemaker at the Harvest Classic in Luckenbach Tx. When I saw it I asked him for a copy....since it's me. And no I didn't ruin a perfectly good Vincent. It began as a Bitsa bike (Lightning spec motor)in 65. Girling racing shocks rear, Marzocchi/Fontana front, 2" tuned straghts and 11 cables to make it all go. After several owners I made a few changes but kept with the "period" look and feel. It won't corner like a new Ducati and probably won't ever see the 150 mph on it's speedometer but it sure is fun pretending to go fast.

sweetly stylin'
Old 01-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #1631
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

I agree.

one thing got me puzzled though: What's the thing on the right fork? Looks like it's got something to do with hydraulics?

edit: I was talking about the red-black bike.

That Vincent is just awesome.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #1632
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB
I agree.

one thing got me puzzled though: What's the thing on the right fork? Looks like it's got something to do with hydraulics?

edit: I was talking about the red-black bike.

That Vincent is just awesome.
Anti Dive.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #1633
bpeckm
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
Anti Dive.
How does that work? I was guessing the same, but figure that it must have an "upper" or something, it is mounted down on the fork bottom.... a hydraulic valve of some sort, mounted externally..?

just curious....
Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #1634
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The Anti-Dive Systems of the Late 80s
Most manufacturers had an anti-dive system and an associated acronym. Honda's NS500R had TRAC (Torque Reactive Anti-Dive Control), Kawasaki's GPZ600R used AVDS (Automative Variable Damping System) while Suzuki used NEAS (New Electrically Activated Suspension).

All these systems were based at the bottom of the fork leg and simply tried to reduce the rate at which forks dived under braking. Most systems worked by using brake fluid pressure to force a piston down against adjustable spring pressure and then closing a valve to restrict fork-oil flow, thereby making the compression damping stiffer.

Just incase you're thinking, "wow, that guy sure is smart".....http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article....f-the-Late-80s

Thank you for that explanation.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #1635
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
The Anti-Dive Systems of the Late 80s
Most manufacturers had an anti-dive system and an associated acronym. Honda's NS500R had TRAC (Torque Reactive Anti-Dive Control), Kawasaki's GPZ600R used AVDS (Automative Variable Damping System) while Suzuki used NEAS (New Electrically Activated Suspension).

All these systems were based at the bottom of the fork leg and simply tried to reduce the rate at which forks dived under braking. Most systems worked by using brake fluid pressure to force a piston down against adjustable spring pressure and then closing a valve to restrict fork-oil flow, thereby making the compression damping stiffer.

Just incase you're thinking, "wow, that guy sure is smart".....http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article....f-the-Late-80s
Your source claims that the Kawasaki & Suzuki systems were electrically activated via the stoplight switch. The '82 Suzukis, as well as the pictured Kaw, use brake line pressure to alter the compression damping.

Harley did use the brake light switch to close a solenoid that connected the fork caps to a spherical reservoir, the engine guard, or the handlebar - depending on the application. This increased the effective spring rate during braking.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote