User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #1
dbern OP
outsider

Oddometer: 85
KTM 690 RTW how do you find fuel??

Really this thread could be for any top end bike that needs better gas and oil.

So I have seen many threads on how the 690 can go anywhere. I have no doubt that my 690 could go anywhere and back in style. However, those of you that take long trips how do you get the recommended 92 octane? And if you are on a long trip how do get the special oil needed for a change as it is not easy to get in Africa or South America. Do you carry it along or have it sent ahead of you on the trail?? Hell I have trouble getting all these things where I roam in WV never mind a third world country...

How do you all pull it off??
dbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM   #2
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I put 85 in mine yesterday (all there was) and ran it hard. No problems and didn't expect any (not the first time). I don't think you need special oil either. I've run several different brands and a few viscosities and I think I have Royal Monarch 15w-50 in there now.

I'd be way more concerned about being able to change a fuel pump, clean an injector and troubleshoot electrical.

Posted by a way I don't really understand.
jgbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:05 AM   #3
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbern View Post
Really this thread could be for any top end bike that needs better gas and oil.

So I have seen many threads on how the 690 can go anywhere. I have no doubt that my 690 could go anywhere and back in style. However, those of you that take long trips how do you get the recommended 92 octane? And if you are on a long trip how do get the special oil needed for a change as it is not easy to get in Africa or South America. Do you carry it along or have it sent ahead of you on the trail?? Hell I have trouble getting all these things where I roam in WV never mind a third world country...

How do you all pull it off??

Octone could be a problem - will bike run hotter/colder than wanted but not the major concern (ride bike well within its rev ranges) or get a 2014 with bad fuel/off-road dongle.

A bigger problem is fuel quality in rural areas. i.e. solids and water in fuel - carry lots of extra fuel filters/sparkplugs and on a serious trip - fuel pump (and know how to change it) - invest in one or three of those filters that fit inside the tank cap. OR invest in a small portable fuel filter

the only problem with Automotive oil is that it contains additives that could lead to clutch slip - a number of guys use diesel vehicle oil - obviously again ride bike within limits
Toors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:12 PM   #4
dbern OP
outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbnm View Post
I put 85 in mine yesterday (all there was) and ran it hard. No problems and didn't expect any (not the first time). I don't think you need special oil either. I've run several different brands and a few viscosities and I think I have Royal Monarch 15w-50 in there now.

I'd be way more concerned about being able to change a fuel pump, clean an injector and troubleshoot electrical.

Posted by a way I don't really understand.
Do you have the fuel injection system switch? What number are you running it at? I have the 13 so I can run this fuel but the manual says to not run it on the #1 for more than one tank... Baja is a little longer than that. What are you boys that are doing this doing??
Old Today, 03:14 PM   #5
dbern OP
outsider

A bigger problem is fuel quality in rural areas. i.e. solids and water in fuel - carry lots of extra fuel filters/sparkplugs and on a serious trip - fuel pump (and know how to change it) - invest in one or three of those filters that fit inside the tank cap. OR invest in a small portable fuel filter

Is this what you guys that are doing long rides are doing for this bike? Carrying all this extra stuff???
Old Today, 03:14 PM   #6
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm always on the most aggressive setting. I do have a filter sock for fuel tank and an external filter. Mine is a 2010.

Sent by a way I don't really understand.
Old Today, 03:36 PM   #7
dbern OP
outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbnm View Post
I'm always on the most aggressive setting. I do have a filter sock for fuel tank and an external filter. Mine is a 2010.

Wow so you are saying that you ran 85 with it set on 2 and it ran fine... Interesting...
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #8
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup. Correct. Was at high elevation (7-10k feet or so). Was about 2.4 gallons of 85 mixed with 90 or 91.