User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
silli OP
Into SM

Oddometer: 30
KTM 690 Rally Raid Evo2 tanks quality

Like many others here, I too ordered a set of Rally Raid Evo2 tanks to extend the range of my 690 Enduro. I ordered them directly from Rally Raid and got them in just a few days, much sooner than anticipated based on the availability information available on the website. Great! However, I have some reservations regarding the quality of the tanks.

The tanks had quite some debris inside, which was to be expected and Rally Raid advices to rinse them. No problem there. The right hand tank contained a larger piece, which I think might have broken off the inside of the filler neck, given that the opening looks somewhat different from tank to tank. This did make me raise an eyebrow, mainly because the left tank's narrower opening is rough on the inside. Needs to be sanded or something to make it not shed more debris when in use.

Parts of the filler neck threads are missing on both tanks and the threads are quite rough with cracks or small gaps everywhere. I tested the tanks for leaks and while they held water just fine, a couple of small pieces broke off the right hand tank’s filler threads while testing. No biggie otherwise, but this makes me a think about the famously sensitive fuel injector on the bike.

On the exterior, the tanks had some scuffs and scratches. RR added a mention of “blemishes” on their website and they do provide a set of stickers that cover the majority of the side surface, so I guess it’s ok. The seams are a bit rough everywhere.

Coming from street bikes (Aprilia, Honda, KTM), I’d never expect this kind of finish on any part, let alone on tanks costing almost 500€ a piece (that’s about £400 / $600). But then again I’m not used to introducing my bike to mud or rocks either (and loving it!). And the faults are either completely or mostly cosmetic.

More pics: here, here, here, another one, yet another one, one more for the road and lastly, filler opening comparison.

So, what do you think? Am I just being oversensitive?
If you have these tanks, did you get similar quality?

I’ve contacted Rally Raid and their customer service has been very responsive. I ordered a bunch of other parts at the same time and they’re all either ok or will be replaced by Rally Raid. They consider the tanks to be ok, but I can return them. We are running a bit low on options for this bike, though.
Attached Images

silli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
That sounds like what many others who have purchased those tanks have experienced. Those tanks, like Acerbis and others, are made by pouring plastic into a mold. You do get some variation in the manufacturing.

If you want to pay more, you could return that and get the KTM Basel kit, which is basically the 450 Rally parts with custom parts to fit the 690. You'll pay more, but the quality may be better? I haven't seen close up photos of the Basel kit but I'm pretty sure they're more expensive. than the RRUK.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
I would send that one with the parts of threads missing back. I've seen a few sets of these tanks, that does not look normal.

It might be ok now but it would be possible to cross thread down the track.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
darren70
KTM, Ready To Spend

Oddometer: 364
I have now had 4 individual rr tanks and they were all similar. The threads on the filler neck appear to be cut rather than molded and they are very rough. the hole in the neck are uneven and there are lots of burs and the like on the tanks and the overall finish is rough. Plus mine split. I think they just don't quite have the manufacturing capability that other tank manufacturers have. Its a shame because the design itself isn't too bad.

I ride a KTM, i'm not a KTM rider...

My 690 Build
darren70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,965
Sorry for the lower than expected quality given the large amount of fun tokens you forked over.

There's a reason folks in the plastic molding business world stick to what they're good at doing and don't moonlight as brain surgeons or wooden toothpick mfg's-as we all can see, there's a little more to it than making your own mold.

Again, the old saying holds true-Jack of all trades, master of none.

I hate to say, but seeing photos of the condition and quality of those brand new fuel tanks even after they passed QC makes me want to run.

Acerbis and Safari knows what they're doing, and I'd be a paying customer if they made tanks like these with zero hesitation. Perhaps having one of these companies blow the tanks for RR, it might raise mfg standards and QC to an acceptable level.

Dirty
Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
silli OP
Into SM

Darren, how did yours split, if you don't mind elaborating?

The inside of the tanks is clean (checked with a flashlight) and given the bike's use, they'd probably get scuffed on the exterior anyway. I guess what I'm mostly concerned about is the longevity of the threads and if there's a risk of getting the burs in my fuel injector. And I would prefer making my own scuffs.

The design is definitely the best I've seen, especially as I don't want the "tower" at the front of the bike (like the Basel kit).

Thanks for confirming that this is not completely out of the ordinary, even if it does not completely alleviate the issues. I couldn't find any other close up shots of these tanks and actually found just one blogger calling the quality "little janky". That made me think I got a set of lemons.

I'll try to have them replace the right hand side tank (the threads in the pic above) and then install the set anyway.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
nivag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I to would get that tank replaced judging by the photo. I bought a replacement EVO1 tank a while ago and it's right arse to screw the cap on and off. Though the thread looks ok on mine.
Also thought it was very rough in finish considering the amount of money spent. Surely a few minutes tidying it up and washing out the larger bits would make a better customer experience when receiving them.
nivag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
darren70
KTM, Ready To Spend

Quote:
Originally Posted by silli View Post
Darren, how did yours split, if you don't mind elaborating?

The inside of the tanks is clean (checked with a flashlight) and given the bike's use, they'd probably get scuffed on the exterior anyway. I guess what I'm mostly concerned about is the longevity of the threads and if there's a risk of getting the burs in my fuel injector. And I would prefer making my own scuffs.

The design is definitely the best I've seen, especially as I don't want the "tower" at the front of the bike (like the Basel kit).

Thanks for confirming that this is not completely out of the ordinary, even if it does not completely alleviate the issues. I couldn't find any other close up shots of these tanks and actually found just one blogger calling the quality "little janky". That made me think I got a set of lemons.

I'll try to have them replace the right hand side tank (the threads in the pic above) and then install the set anyway.

Have a look in my bike thread link in my sig for a pic of the split tank.

My 690 Build
Old 11-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
silli OP
Into SM

Thanks Darren, just had a look. Not pretty at all.

Other parts of your thread made me want to buy more stuff, though. Damn.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
Baric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Splits Photos will speak for them selves

Baric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:05 AM   #11
silli OP
Into SM

How did this damage happen? Did you land on it?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
darren70
KTM, Ready To Spend

Looks similar to mine

Mine happened when the bike fell over standing still. The tanks would be much better if they shortened the bottom protrusions to just behind the radiator and extended the radiator shrouds down and back. The would compensate for the poor manufacturing as the most exposed section would be gone and it couldn't be squashed against the radiator. I think the reason you don't hear about it more is the type of people who ride kitted out 690's are mostly BMW riders who haven't come out yet so they don't get thrown down the trail very much.

My 690 Build
Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,040
That's unacceptable for a product as expensive as the RR crap.

I guess I'll be carrying my two 1.5 gal. kolpin cans on my new 2014 690.
There are not any other options, the safari, while very stout carries the
fuel high and foward and the Basel doesn't fit on the 2014.

Max
Old 11-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
VikB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
That's unacceptable for a product as expensive as the RR crap.

I guess I'll be carrying my two 1.5 gal. kolpin cans on my new 2014 690.
There are not any other options, the safari, while very stout carries the
fuel high and foward and the Basel doesn't fit on the 2014.

Max
The nice thing about additional fuel containers is they are relatively cheap and you can leave them home except for specific rides that demand extended range.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
The nice thing about additional fuel containers is they are relatively cheap and you can leave them home except for specific rides that demand extended range.
Ding Ding Ding.

I really hate to say, but seeing the threads, the voids in the outer tank surfaces, the cracked lower lobes from a no-speed tip over has sealed the deal for me

I really love the look, and the concept though.

Dirty