Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
KTM 300- history, which years are the good ones?

Yea, I posted this over in the 2 stroke section but no replies so I know you boys also have a 2 smoke leaning the corner, probably running castor oil too -(ah I love the smell of burning castor in the morning )

Hi there. I recently sold my 08 KTM 530. I miss it. However, I really dont miss the top heavy weight.

So, been wanting a 300. Best bike in the world??? Dont know but would like to find out. Cant afford a new one so would like you experts to school me on the big changes in the bike say from 2006 or so forward. Any years to be leary of??? What year did it get the button?

My main concern will be ultra reliability vs power. I ride quite a bit by myself and need a bike that isnt going to leave me stranded. So weird electrical issues, etc are a no go.

What say you all?????
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,828
06 or '07 got a PWK36 carb down from a 38, a little easier to jet. 08 got the button along with a different chassis. I think '12 got the 6 sp. New chassis again in 12 or '13. Various suspension improvements as the years progressed. They're all great bikes, starting in 04 or so they really got their act together in regards to the 300 and they've been getting better every year or two. If I was looking for one I'd find the newest/best condition I could afford. Lots of guys prefer the XC, it's about the same bike but with a closer ratio trans and different forks (4CS) in the last few years.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Ridefreak! I found an 08 for 4K with 60 hours on it. I am trying to keep in the 3,500.00 price range (mainly so I dont have to sell my other two bikes)
Old 12-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
'11 got the six speed.

With the five speed, there is a substantial difference between the XCW and the XC transmissions. With the six speeds only first gear is much lower. Second gear is barely lower and 3-6 are the same.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
Thanks Ridefreak! I found an 08 for 4K with 60 hours on it. I am trying to keep in the 3,500.00 price range (mainly so I dont have to sell my other two bikes)
That's what I have, I like it. The 300 gets ridden more than the 500.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Sweet bike Ridefreak! That is a perfectly set up for hard core trail riding (down to the trials tire on the back) 300. I would happily ride that pretty thing all over Colorado. The trials rear works awesome here in the Rockies.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Ridefreak, nice bike!!! GOOD TO HEAR ON THE COMPARISON BETWEEN THE 500.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
The 300 really is a good bike. Since I got my 08 300 I haven't taken my XRR out to ride in the dirt at all. The weight is centered very low making it very easy to ride, the motor is very grunty down low but still rips on the pipe. My boss sold his 08 530 EXC-R and got a 08 300 XC-We(he loves it). He then, loaned it to one of my work mates. My work mate purchased a 09 300 XC-W because he was spoiled riding the bosses bike. The best advise is to purchase the newest 300 you can afford. I would suggest 08 and up.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
The reliability on mine has been very good after getting the bike back up to snuff. The previous owner didn't seem to believe in maintenance. I have raced my bike on (Iron man, not team race) 24 hours (yes, 24 hours non-stop except for fuel and food), 12 hours, 6 hours and 100 mile races. The bike has held up very well to all the abuse. No major break downs or bike failures.

Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
arroyo
??????????????????

Oddometer: 458
Tons of info here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770744

COHVCO | Stay The Trail | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
arroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
arroyo
??????????????????

Oddometer: 458
I love my 09 xc, though the 5 speed close ratio is pretty wound out by 40mph on the road. Awesome off road though. From what I've seen, the stock starter can be a weak point but otherwise they are pretty bulletproof.

COHVCO | Stay The Trail | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
arroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,534
Get an '08+

2008 300 XC here. Best dirt bike I've ever owned or ridden.

I picked up my '08 for $3400, it didn't "need" anything, but I stripped it to the frame, and freshened it up (service suspension, cleaned and lubed everything, changed all fluids, new tires, tubliss, plastics & decals etc.) for next season. The '08 XCs don't have E-start that was a -W only thing in '08. In '08 the XCs and -Ws have different forks, the -W has an open chamber and the XC has a Closed Chamber fork (more MX oriented vs Trail bike); I think the '09 W got the better forks.

2008 got a new chassis and the bike handles just as well as my '06 RM250 did. The motor is A LOT different than any Japanese 250 smoker I've ever ridden, at least mine is anyway (Mine was ported by Slavens "The Mule", back when he was doing that work, he only sells "kits" now). Maybe it's just me but the bike isn't as at home screaming WFO on the pipe like the Japanese bikes are. BUT that's ok 'cause my riding style in the woods is not on the pipe at all.

I had a 2003 525 EXC and that chassis was "truck like" compared to the '08. While I didn't hate the 525, it wasn't a bike I fell in love with and sold in short order. I'm sure a 2T in from that era would be better than the 525 in terms of handling but I doubt it's even close to the newer bikes.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
2008 300 XC here. Best dirt bike I've ever owned or ridden.

I picked up my '08 for $3400, it didn't "need" anything, but I stripped it to the frame, and freshened it up (service suspension, cleaned and lubed everything, changed all fluids, new tires, tubliss, plastics & decals etc.) for next season. The '08 XCs don't have E-start that was a -W only thing in '08. In '08 the XCs and -Ws have different forks, the -W has an open chamber and the XC has a Closed Chamber fork (more MX oriented vs Trail bike); I think the '09 W got the better forks.

2008 got a new chassis and the bike handles just as well as my '06 RM250 did. The motor is A LOT different than any Japanese 250 smoker I've ever ridden, at least mine is anyway (Mine was ported by Slavens "The Mule", back when he was doing that work, he only sells "kits" now). Maybe it's just me but the bike isn't as at home screaming WFO on the pipe like the Japanese bikes are. BUT that's ok 'cause my riding style in the woods is not on the pipe at all.

I had a 2003 525 EXC and that chassis was "truck like" compared to the '08. While I didn't hate the 525, it wasn't a bike I fell in love with and sold in short order. I'm sure a 2T in from that era would be better than the 525 in terms of handling but I doubt it's even close to the newer bikes.

Thanks for that, you have a good perspective. I really loved my 530; in a way the best bike I have owned that could do most everything in the world of dirt. I knew the first day I rode it in the forest that it was really great; I was doing 70mph on dirt roads and 102MPH on pavement. I couldnt believe it when I was looking down at the speedo and the motor wasnt really straining. I had more but with the knobbies, eh sometimes you have to grasp reality.

The problem was the weight. I want a 220lb dirt bike. The two stroke makes sense. A 300 to pull my 215lbs around on and hopefully enough bottom end to satisfy me. Like, for example I am comparing to a Maico 440M1 with a complete rebuild and balanced crank. Climbing the side of mountains in 3rd gear in the days of my youth. All the reviews indicate it has the low end and clearly for torturous enduros it appears to be the Pros choice.

I'm ready to try it. I love KTMs power and am curious to see their interpretations of the 2 stroke variety.

Last CR250s I had just didnt have the power I needed. Not enough on the stump pulling side.

My ultimate is to be able to roll into a nice bermed corner and blast out from little revs in 3rd. Yet be able to idle across a wet log and give it throttle without the back end breaking away or some freaky 2 stroke powerband that makes it unmanageable. My vote is on the KTM.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #14
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
The reliability on mine has been very good after getting the bike back up to snuff. The previous owner didn't seem to believe in maintenance. I have raced my bike on (Iron man, not team race) 24 hours (yes, 24 hours non-stop except for fuel and food), 12 hours, 6 hours and 100 mile races. The bike has held up very well to all the abuse. No major break downs or bike failures.

Great testimonial!!! I will normally do a 50 mile loop in the forest and I need something thats not going to leave me stranded for potentially a 20 mile walk back to the truck.

I do need to find one that has a good title (not offroad only) so I can tag it here in Florida.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
Last CR250s I had just didnt have the power I needed. Not enough on the stump pulling side.

The power isn't an issue, controlling it might be