User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
eg77 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Looking for opinion on BMW F650GS

First, thanks for spending the time reading / replying / offering advice not just to me but to all others here who has asked for assistance.

Some background on me.

I passed a motorbike school, got my license about 8 months ago.

I was not sure if I'd like motor biking since all the scary stories you hear. People running you off the road and more. So I started off with a cheap Yamaha Zuma 125.

But who was I kidding. Riding around is so much fun as long as you pay attention and don't do anything stupid.

Although now I am determined that I want a larger bike that can handle both on/off road. Something that can go faster up-hill so A-hole cars don't ride 6 inches from my bumper when only being able to go 45mph.

I narrowed it down to a BMW F650GS (or G650GS) single cylinder. They get 60-65mpg on average. They have awesome aftermarket accessories. And I can't wait to bolt two 2 gallon rotopax tanks (one fuel, one water) on each side

Maybe you don't recommend it? I'd love to hear why...

I was close to buying this pristine 2005 BMW F650GS (not dakar) but had 5k miles, bmw side/top luggage, engine guard, scratch guard, low seat, more...for $5k USD. I slept on it. By morning, someone else bought it.

Bummer. Moving on.

I have narrowed down to two that is available now;

2003 BMW F650GS ABS (yellow/black), is dakar, has the Tourtech aluminum panniers, engine guard, scratch guard, givi windshield, and misc other small aftermarket stuff, 30,000 MILES for $5,000

OR

2009 BMW G650GS ABS (all black color), Jesse Saddle bags, BMW Tail case, under neath scratch guard, NO ENGINE GUARD, 10,000 MILES for $6,500

Picture attached.

FOR ME its important to buy a used bike with all the aftermarket item(s) already on it as I don't have extra money lying around.

Whats your opinion on which bike (2003 or 2009) and why?

My opinion is, its 20k less miles but $1,500 more but 6 years newer.

Does it really make a difference?

How many miles can one go, if maintained properly?

The touratech luggage look more sturdy...but covered in stupid stickers (lots of work cleaning off) and or need prime/paint...but doesn't have a top case (+$300 to $600 depending which one I get).

Thanks for your time everyone!
Attached Images

eg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
eg77 OP
n00b

I did forget to mention the purpose or use of the bike.

I plan on taking my Camper Van (chevy express 2500 extended) that I converted myself, cross country and take a bike with me, so when I get into a town or city, I can go cruising around, exploring, adventuring @ 65 mpg vs the 15 mpg my van gets :-p

I am not looking to do crazy jumps or dirt roads as much. But I do enjoy a good scenery of mountain, forest, lakes, rivers, more...so my guess is I will see;

When travelling.

off road = 60% time
on road = 40% time

While home.

off road = 5% time
on road = 95% time
Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
easyrider88
POsIng PrO

Oddometer: 273
YELLO as JELLO

I like the black 09.id offer him $6000 cash.why??black is my fav color for bikes.yellow my least favorite.i like the BIG space for touring youd have with the 09.and you mention 95% of youre riding will be on the street.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Travlr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
careful....

Just to give you some warning...STICKERS ARE NOT STUPID...

Do not clean them off as suggested, just cover them with your own. At minimum they are an icebreaker for conversation.

I can not comment on the two bikes of choice other than the 650single is a legendary engine. Longevity is not an issue, with proper maintenance the Rotax engine will outlast you and me. Excellent fuel efficiency. Lots on the road and ample parts if needed for items that do wear out (seals etc.).

I have the same engine in my bikes, but it is in the xchallenge chasis.

Hope that helps a bit.
Travlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
eg77 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr View Post
Just to give you some warning...STICKERS ARE NOT STUPID...
Thanks ~ I did not mean all stickers are stupid, but ones on the bike are kind of girly...I mean, one sticker even says "REAL WOMEN RIDE MOTORCYCLES" ...sigh
Old 04-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
eg77 OP
n00b

So in a twist of events. That yellow bike is SOLD.

Fortunately (and strangely) she has another bike with only 15,000 miles.

Same setup as the yellow (or very similar) for the same $5k price.

So its sold, I am picking it up Thursday!!!

So excited and apologizing in advance because chances are I will annoy the heck out of all you guys with my questions

Just kidding about annoying you guys
Attached Images