Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 AM   #1
totallynew OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Please Help - TT350 First Bike in 10 year

Hi all,
I came of my CBR hard about 10 years ago and havnt looked at a bike since, yesterday I drove past a trashed TT350 on the side of the road for $100, and I think Im ready to get back into it. Im a qualified welder and have previously restored older landcruisers. Long term I need to produce a reliable bike that will start in the cold.
So Im planning on rebuilding this fairly trashed TT350, back into a road legal/trailbike. But I dont really know where to start.

It doesnt start, but it does have compression when kicked over, the front sprocket cover is broken and there is a section out of the aluminium casing near the sprocket.
The carb - cylinder rubbers are dead and need replacing, so I might as well look at the carbs while there off,
The plastics are half broken and half missing, theres no headlight, and the seat is ripped to shreads.
The wiring is a mess but thats nothing I shouldnt be able to work through.

Now it says TT250 here

But 350 here

And here is the VIN - 1LN - 000979

Some lovely home welding.

Airbox is a bit dirty

And this box is just totally empty

This will be done on the cheap! as few new parts as possible.
My plan is to try and get the engine running first! then look at getting the wiring sorted so I dont invest too much money before I know its a go'er.
When its running I will pull it all down and clean up the frame, give it a coat of paint and reinstall a new (secondhand) set of plastics.

I really dont know where to start with getting the engine running? try to get it running with aerostart and a bottle of fuel? or pull the carbs and clean them up with new intake manifolds before I go trying to start her?

Also is this the kind of forum where I will be able to get help on the rebuild?

Any advice appreciated!!.
totallynew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Deathsbreeze
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Talking

I would start with the carbs and inlet manifold. Once i got her able to start i would strip the bike and clean up the frame. Then put the old girl back together fixing each part as i go.
I used 3 bond to seal up my manifold rubbers, idles a lot smoother now :)
Have you checked for spark?
Deathsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
UncleRandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Wow! That's quite a project you're taking on. I'd start with a good cleaning to take stock of what you have. Remove the motor-because that's going to need attention if the miles shown are real. My XT350 grenaded at 12000 miles because the cam chain tensioner was shot. It's easy to check that while the top end is off. Keep in mind that the XT/TT bikes of that era have many interchangeable parts. There are still parts available and many of these bikes and parts can be found at salvage yards/swap meets etc. on the cheap. If you're not in a hurry to be riding in a few months, take your time, be creative and enjoy the adventure. Or, you could part the bike out-maybe double your money and look for a running version.
UncleRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,732
Start reading here... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307671
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote