User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #136
arkangel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Nx

Thanks very much! More specifically.. I found several bikes in the $1500 range (DR350s... KLR650.. XT600..XL350R etc) Do you think the NX is a good choice vs. those machines? I like the look of it, but I just want a nice smooth bike that would be worthy of dirt rides if I needed it to. The DR350 looks like a good choice at this point, but I am not ready to rule out the NX until I see how much he will take for it!
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #137
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkangel
Thanks very much! More specifically.. I found several bikes in the $1500 range (DR350s... KLR650.. XT600..XL350R etc) Do you think the NX is a good choice vs. those machines? I like the look of it, but I just want a nice smooth bike that would be worthy of dirt rides if I needed it to. The DR350 looks like a good choice at this point, but I am not ready to rule out the NX until I see how much he will take for it!
The NX is a smooth ride on the street. It will do well for commuting and does great in the woods as long as you don't plan to take any jumps, but there are more fairings to scratch/break if you drop the bike.

The 350cc bikes will be a little lighter, but the 600/650cc bikes will be much more comfortable at highway speeds.

Personally I'd go with the cheapest and/or best running of the 600/650cc bikes you have listed. They are all comparable. Here are my opinions of the bigger bikes you have listed. This is also the order of my personal preferance:

1) XT600 - Best offroad, easiest to work on.
2) NX650 - Best on-road, most reliable.
3) KLR650 - Great on-road.

But that's just me. I'm sure most people on the board would go for the NX first.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #138
arkangel
Gnarly Adventurer

!

Well.. I have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 bikes, and I can get them for the same price. Both bikes are very clean. It is a really tough choice :( On paper the KLR looks like the winner (holds more gas.. easier to get parts/plastic.. slightly more power.. rear disk brakes) but I really like the look of the NX! This is a tough decision =/

1992 KLR650 - 10k miles

1988 NX650 - 35k miles
Old 09-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #139
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
Mine was a runner until late yesterday. I ran up Rampart Range Road, Winding Stairs trail, Hotel Gulch, Manchester Creek, and I hit a big puddle on Signal Butte rd and the engine cut out. I thought it would fire up again when things dried out, but no luck. I had to hitchhike out with some grumpy old bow-hunter who complained about all the dirtbikes and quads scaring off his elk. Anyway, the bikes back home and will be running again soon.

I've done Goldcamp on the NX a couple if times and it was a lot of fun. I'd love to get down Shelf and Phantom as well. I'll be in touch when she's running again. There's another guy on this board (RaceTwins) who has an NX and he lives in Woodland Park as well. We'll have to get together some time.
Pablo83,
Yea, just let me know when you can get her out again.
I am off on a street ride with some guys over to Utah
this weekend. I have to get my twisty road fix now before
the snow hits. See you around for sure.
Assfault
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #140
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkangel
Well.. I have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 bikes, and I can get them for the same price. Both bikes are very clean. It is a really tough choice :( On paper the KLR looks like the winner (holds more gas.. easier to get parts/plastic.. slightly more power.. rear disk brakes) but I really like the look of the NX! This is a tough decision =/

1992 KLR650 - 10k miles

1988 NX650 - 35k miles
That is a tough decision. You're right about the parts. I think Honda's are more reliable (despite mine breaking down last weekend). Either way you go you'll have a lot of fans of both bikes on this board. Let us know what you end up with.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 AM   #141
xDownSetx
U WOT M8?

Oddometer: 114
I used to be an NX650 owner. Gave the NX to my brother and now that he's beaten it to a pulp I've gone through the process of rebuilding it for him as a surprise(Don't tell him now .)

Shifter spindle was stripped. Valve gaps were measuring .017 In .020 Ex. Sparkplug looser then finger tight. Plastics destroyed. Blah blah blah.

So far I'm in the process of getting everything back together from the rebuild. Plastics have been fiberglassed and all painting done by mom and I've done all the grease monkey work. Stay tuned for the completed pictures since it will be done within this week(I hope!.)

The paint that we decided to use was duplicolor bedliner for the frame and plastics due to my brothers rough care, but I know he loves the bike, and semi-gloss black engine enamel. I'm thinking of painting the brake calipers red along with the shock spring while polising out the shock itself. If anyone has any other ideas please let me hear them.

xDownSetx screwed with this post 09-17-2008 at 03:35 AM
xDownSetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #142
arkangel
Gnarly Adventurer

Nx

Going to have a look at the NX this evening after class.. If the test ride really inspires me I will probably get it, but if not I am going to snatch up that KLR and see if I can make it less ugly (I hate the seafoam green + blue paint!!!!) I am really hoping the Dominator impresses the crap out of me.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #143
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
my NX650 1988
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #144
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle O'Broham
AJ, more about that fork brace, centerstand, and beak!!!

Hey...

the fork brace comes together when i bought the bike last month..and the fork have been swapped to DR650 fork by the previous owner...big mistake...the front end becomes slightly lowered...i am hunting for better fork in the future...WR400 inverted fork or XR600R,or XR400R fork.
The center stand brand is Five Star...not sure made from where.
The beak is a fibreglass job originally from Suzuki DRbig.
Here's my 1st NX.'94 model.

which i have sold the tank to cover the cost of the other NX and now remain in stock form for daily commute.

And now the 2nd dominator with what was done today..repaint the frame,and replaced fork boots and some other stuffs.

To learnt more of how the process of both the NX since March this year,browse here :

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25695

cheers,

AJ
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #145
Dakar dreamer
Dave rocker

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
here's my 2nd domi currently building her up.

Sorry, but did anyone ever tell you BMW GS's are pretty ugly bikes.
Dakar dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #146
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar dreamer
Sorry, but did anyone ever tell you BMW GS's are pretty ugly bikes.
yup...i myself tell them that too...

but this is from DR800 fairings...so don't get confused...
I am a fan of the DRbig...but here,its very rare..and if able to get hold on one,parts would need to be source outside...
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #147
Dakar dreamer
Dave rocker

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
yup...i myself tell them that too...

but this is from DR800 fairings...so don't get confused...
I am a fan of the DRbig...but here,its very rare..and if able to get hold on one,parts would need to be source outside...

My mistake. I am not to familiar with the big DR's here in the states being that the 650 is the biggest offering. That front end looks so BMW minus the lower fender.

BMW dual sport/adventurer touring has to hold the title of ugliest bikes ever made.
Dakar dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #148
fast*st
Dirt rookie.

Oddometer: 158
screw is screwed.

Question for dommie owners, or almost anyone, my Calif CARB compliant dommie's carb got filled with goo, I wanted to remove the idle screw (with the bowl off) and umm, its going to snap that little brass neck clean off. Its squeaky tight and I'm wondering if they crimped the top of the bore or something. I suppose I could snap off the pencil neck, slot it and screwdriver it out.

The screw does turn but only about 80% of what the head turns.
fast*st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #149
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast*st
Question for dommie owners, or almost anyone, my Calif CARB compliant dommie's carb got filled with goo, I wanted to remove the idle screw (with the bowl off) and umm, its going to snap that little brass neck clean off. Its squeaky tight and I'm wondering if they crimped the top of the bore or something. I suppose I could snap off the pencil neck, slot it and screwdriver it out.

The screw does turn but only about 80% of what the head turns.
No, the top is not crimped. Yes, this happens way too often. I usually end up slotting the top for a screwdriver just like you said. Be sure to soak the idle screw in WD40 or some other solvent before attempting to remove it. And choose a screwdriver that fits real tight. And be real careful. And say a little prayer. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #150
xDownSetx
U WOT M8?

Oddometer: 114
Just spotten one getting off the 91 to Adams St. White and teal, wondering if it was someone here. Thats the first NX ive seen besides my bros.

Was riding my GS11 with my atv helmet, bet I looked odd.
xDownSetx is offline   Reply With Quote