Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #1501
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by madart View Post
Ticking sound is weird thing. One day I heard rattling noise and immediately shut off the engine. The next day it was gone and no symptoms since now, after few thousands km.
When ticking gets louder, then I know it's time to fill up oil
Maybe those valves are too loose ?
Yea, that's just it. I've been servicing my bike (RD08, 6) as per the 88-89 manual with 0.12 on exhaust. Now, if that was a mistake, it would explain why my bike develops a ticking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
many thanks :cheers:
Old 02-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #1502
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Hey all,, what are the pros/cons of using CRF 450 forks and CR 500 shock? i am planing to lace up 17" rims as well 3.50/ 4.25 also what size flat slide carb works the best?
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #1503
outback96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
starting issues

I need your help!

After spending the winter months not being ridden, my NX sat, only having me start it every so often to keep the battery fresh. The other day I put my volt meter to the battery and found that the battery had in fact died. I quickly put it on the charger...waited for about an hour...went out and the bike started. Now while it was not the smoothest start the bike has ever had, it did start. I decided to leave the charge in play for the rest of the day. Went back out the following day to see where we were at. Battery reading fine on the volt meter...unhooked the charger, turned the key, pressed the start button, and...it acted like it had not been on the charger at all. After disconnecting the battery and just having the charger hooked up, still the bike would not turn over. All the it would do is cause the starter solenoid to "tap". So, I thought it must be the starter solenoid, right? after replacing the solenoid, I now have no lights and the battery only reading a "good" rating on the meter. However, when I turn the key to the "on" position, it kills the battery and I have no meter readings past the starter solenoid. However, if I put the charger back on it, turn the key, all electronics work. Head light, turn signals, horn. But won't turn over, sounds like the battery is not charged enough, can't get the starter to turn over at all, not enough power.

So, I know that that was a really long explanation and if you can help me figure this out, that would be great! Thanks for y'alls help.
outback96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #1504
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Let the battery sit without any charge assistance for a few hours and then test it with a voltmeter. Report back.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #1505
madart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I think your battery may be dead.
Measure the voltage on battery when pressing start button. If drops to 9V or something it's dead.
Mine did similar about two weeks ago.
And by
Quote:
only having me start it every so often to keep the battery fresh
do you mean you ride it or just start and let it idle? Battery need to charged maybe once per month but by charger not by idling on bike.
madart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #1506
THORNRIDER
THORNRIDER

Oddometer: 9
Battery Life

The key to battery life is a tender. Low cost great investment. I use it 24/7/365 on all bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback96 View Post
I need your help!

After spending the winter months not being ridden, my NX sat, only having me start it every so often to keep the battery fresh. The other day I put my volt meter to the battery and found that the battery had in fact died. I quickly put it on the charger...waited for about an hour...went out and the bike started. Now while it was not the smoothest start the bike has ever had, it did start. I decided to leave the charge in play for the rest of the day. Went back out the following day to see where we were at. Battery reading fine on the volt meter...unhooked the charger, turned the key, pressed the start button, and...it acted like it had not been on the charger at all. After disconnecting the battery and just having the charger hooked up, still the bike would not turn over. All the it would do is cause the starter solenoid to "tap". So, I thought it must be the starter solenoid, right? after replacing the solenoid, I now have no lights and the battery only reading a "good" rating on the meter. However, when I turn the key to the "on" position, it kills the battery and I have no meter readings past the starter solenoid. However, if I put the charger back on it, turn the key, all electronics work. Head light, turn signals, horn. But won't turn over, sounds like the battery is not charged enough, can't get the starter to turn over at all, not enough power.

So, I know that that was a really long explanation and if you can help me figure this out, that would be great! Thanks for y'alls help.
THORNRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #1507
outback96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNRIDER View Post
The key to battery life is a tender. Low cost great investment. I use it 24/7/365 on all bikes.
Yes, I believe that its the battery. Thanks for the help and troubleshooting.
outback96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #1508
fast*st
Dirt rookie.

Oddometer: 155
Nixie sat for an entire month this winter without being ridden, how awful! Of course I had to move snow that was packed and 3 feet deep to get it away from the barn but still it was a good day for a ride. When parking for extended times, I drain the carb, let it run dry, seems to stave off the carb getting filled with junk. Melting snow is a good sign!

Numerous Honda V4s
89 NX650, CB700SC, CR500
IBA 31407, MSF-retired, STOC 1318.
fast*st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #1509
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Centerstand

If anyone may be interested. I just about have the centerstand completed for this model. I fit one today and everything was good. I am going to make a few changes to make it better though. Information will be in the vendors thread below when it is available.

Mike
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #1510
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
If anyone may be interested. I just about have the centerstand completed for this model. I fit one today and everything was good. I am going to make a few changes to make it better though. Information will be in the vendors thread below when it is available.

Mike
That frame bottom help out?
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #1511
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Very Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
That frame bottom help out?
It was an enormous help. It makes reproducing the stand accurately very simple. Knowing that the fit is perfect really helps.

Many thanks.

Mike
Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #1512
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Awesome! Thanks for supporting us NX650 riders! Its not every day new parts come out for our rides
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #1513
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Any pics of the centerstand?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 AM   #1514
MotoMarkus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast*st View Post
Nixie sat for an entire month this winter without being ridden, how awful! Of course I had to move snow that was packed and 3 feet deep to get it away from the barn but still it was a good day for a ride. When parking for extended times, I drain the carb, let it run dry, seems to stave off the carb getting filled with junk. Melting snow is a good sign!

Nice!
Spring feels so far away for me right now, this morning we had -29C and there's about 1m of snow.
MotoMarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #1515
marcuss
Mahout

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMarkus
Spring feels so far away for me right now, this morning we had -29C and there's about 1m of snow.
Same thing here in Oslo. Good thing is it leaves plenty of time for tinkering with your dommie :-)

Just finished putting the bike back together after having replaced the starter clutch and other various bits. Now the engine actually turns when i press the starter button Might come in handy in the spring when the bike stalls coming into every traffic light
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote